Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default As children get older...

Do they get easier or harder to parent?

What ages were the easiest / hardest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 2.5 yrs. Toilet training has probably been the most challenging phase so far.. We are almost there but it's been long and frustrating. Other than that its been relatively smooth for us. Each phase of their lives is so different and special, we have mostly great days then ones where im tearing my hair out. At the moment I'm loving that dd can speak and we can converse with each other. It's lovely. I loved the baby stage but its nice when they can tell you what's going on too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never realised that raising children would be more difficult than the sleep deprivation of the first 6 months.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahhh no.

One issue resolves and a new one begins.

My eldest is almost 10 and it has its challenges. Dreading the teens!

For me parent from 0-16 months is the easiest.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (18-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (18-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far the newborn phase has been the hardest for us by far.....but my oldest is still a toddler, so I'm keen to hear the replies from parents with older kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    So far the newborn phase has been the hardest for us by far.....but my oldest is still a toddler, so I'm keen to hear the replies from parents with older kids
    When you need to get to school and they don't want to. There is nothing worse than having tried to reason with them for most of the morning, sweating trying to get them ready, walking to the office to get a late pass and then have the reader mothers stare at you because you're late.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

Wonderingwhy  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a new born and a toddler. I'm surprised that now the new born faze is much much easier. Perhaps it's because I have experience with a new born.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Fashionvictim  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think different stages present different challenges so it's hard to say that a certain stage is harder. I have found that my oldest, who was a horrible 2 year old, has been pretty easy once she turned 6 in terms of her independence and attitude, but there's certain challenges that arise like sorting out play dates when you don't know the parents very well, school playground challenges to deal with, dealing with after school activities and homework. But I know pre-teen's is just around the corner and everyone knows it's not easy raising a teen! And then my second child, who is 6 now, is far more difficult now than she ever was as a 2 year old.
    My 4 year old has been a nightmare kid to raise since he was born, so it's never been easy with him. I'm hoping things ease up with him when he starts school next year. I fear he is always going to be hard to raise.
    There are parts of having little ones that I don't miss...the sleepless nights, taking forever to get ready in the morning, nap times, nappies etc. But then there's parts of that time period that were certainly easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I think from 0-15 months and from 5yrs-7ys have been the easiest. if i could just skip the toddler years i would.

However i know that i needed the toddler years to teach my kids how to act so they are pleasant now.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think its different for each parent and each kid.

Some babies are easy, and some are much more unsettled and cause stress. Some parents are easily able to deal with the lack of sleep in the early years, but behaviour is difficult for them ... others find the toddler behaviour easier than the sleep issues and settling of babies.

I found the newborn phase super cruisey, toddler/terrible 2's not that challenging but toilet training a complete nightmare. School has its own challenges, and my daughter has a stubborn streak that drives me absolutely INSANE ...

its all fun