+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question about giving cow's milk while BF

I am thinking about whether to start giving DD (9 months) who is breastfed day and night a try of cow's milk in a cup in preparation for if I have to go back to work when she's 12 months old. She won't take a bottle and I find it very hard to express.

I know the recommended age for cow's milk as a drink is 12 months but I wouldn't be giving it to her instead of breast milk, just little bits to try and get her used to it so I can supplement BF if I go to work in a couple months.

I could try formula but it's potentially a big waste of money as she's never liked it before.

Is it dangerous to give her a tiny bit to drink under 12 months or just not recommended as their main drink as doesn't provide what they need?

Advice gratefully received, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS2 is 10 months old and I'm wondering the same thing -- and I can't remember what I did with DS1!!! I *think* I did what you're suggesting - just gave him a little bit of cow's milk in a sippy cup with lunch just to get used to it. Not sure if it was before 12 months or not though, so I'm keen to hear others' replies

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    does she drink water from a cup/water bottle?

i wouldn't bother with milk or formula at this age. she will probably increase solid intake over next 3 months and be able to have food and water during the day, and just breastfeed at night.

you can give cow milk in cereal etc now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just be careful - if she likes it she may start to prefer it over breast milk and it definitely does not have all the nutrients she needs
    cows milk may also cause havoc with her digestive system and she may fill up on it and not want to get used to eating solids plus it can hinder iron absorption which is critical at that age , I would definitely try formula over cows milk at 9 months

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I would put it on cereal if you want her to get a taste for it, not in a cup yet.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014),Bubbles10  (19-05-2014),Starfish30  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was under the impression that it was only not recommended before 12months as to not take the place of bm or formula. I gave my Ds1 cows milk at that age, for that reason. And continued bf til 12 months. Best of luck op

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You have three months- no I wouldn't give cows milk as a drink yet- no need and can come with it's own set of problems as @Elijahs Mum said. At 12 months if she won't drink cows milk it's no big deal. You can always keep bf before and after work (if you're not planning on weaning) and she can have water dieting the day at care. Even if you don't keep bf there's no actual need to give cows milk as long as she gets her calcium in her diet so if she's not keen on it it's not a big deal.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014),Bubbles10  (19-05-2014),Elijahs Mum  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're worries about wasting formula, you can get sachets from the chemist rather than wasting a whole tin if she doesn't like it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies. I definitely don't want to risk upsetting her tummy so if it's not entirely necessary for her to have milk during the day after 12 months then I'll just wait and see if she takes it when the time comes. She drinks water from a cup very well so hope she'll take cow's milk too. I have already started using it to make her porridge so she is probably already becoming accustomed to the taste.

I may try formula again in the meantime. She's always hated it. Would love to just give her EBM but takes me days to get enough for a full feed!

She's a big booby monster and usually feeds to sleep so know she'll miss bf if I'm out all day, will try to get DH to bring her to me for one or two feeds if possible. She's such a mummy's girl I worry how she'll go when I leave her :-/
    Last edited by Bond Girl; 18-05-2014 at 19:22.