+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding 'breaks' at work

Do all employers have to give breaks for breastfeeding or expressing?

I might have to go back to work part time in a couple months, but it'll be a new job if I can find one. Dd will be 11/12 months old and she doesn't take a bottle so worried about how I can leave her with DH unless he can bring her to work for a feed.

Does anyone know if all employers are obligated to allow you to a breastfeeding break or only some if they have implemented a policy?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure they have to. Maybe check the Aus Breastfeeding Assoc website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I just read something about it the other day. They are obligated to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh smokers get breaks you'd hope they would let you have a quick break to breast feed!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (18-05-2014),Mmumm  (19-05-2014),SpecialK  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age, many kids can go with food and water during the day, and breastfeed at other times.

If you do want to feed, you could have bub come to you in your lunch break, or more if necessary. Arrangement have to be made individually with your employer, but most employers are accommodating when requests are reasonable.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ill-breastfeed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    My work doesn't provide a break or anywhere to express. I use my one hour unpaid lunch break and I walk to the local shopping centres parents room. I have used the CEOs office twice when he was out for the day. Its hard. My mym came one day with ds so I could feed him in my lunch break. My hours are close enough to going 4.5hours between feeding, expressing then feeding again at the end of the day

♥ him + me = you 17/9/13 ♥

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had about 12 mths off with each baby, returning to part-time work when they were between 11-12 mths.

I could never express very well and neither of them took to a bottle so fed on demand as normal on home days and on daycare days they fed morning and night with no issue. I just included extra dairy and liquid foods like yoghurt, watermelon etc in their daycare food.

Both of my kids have bf into toddlerhood despite me working 2-3 days a week and not expressing. DD weaned at 3 years and DS is still going at 2 and a half.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-05-2014),Atropos  (18-05-2014),Bond Girl  (18-05-2014),Bubbles10  (19-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the ABA-
    Unfortunately breastfeeding still tends to be left up to the woman to discuss with her employer on an individual basis. Legislation exists in most states to guarantee that no employer may discriminate against individuals with family responsibilities.

They recommend you discuss your breastfeeding requirements with your employer well in advance of your return. Hopefully most employers are accommodating. But they aren't obliged to allow additional breaks.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 18-05-2014 at 20:02.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    At that age, many kids can go with food and water during the day, and breastfeed at other times.
    Not for me, if I missed one feed it would have interrupted my entire supply. Your milk starts to drop back if you miss feeds, mine did anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (18-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Not for me, if I missed one feed it would have interrupted my entire supply. Your milk starts to drop back if you miss feeds, mine did anyway.
    I was referring to the child, not a woman's breasts. There is a lot of variation in breast capacity and adaptability. By the time you are feeding a toddler, many women (not all!) find their supply is not as delicate as it was in the early days.

Similar to dailydiversion, i returned to work when my bub was 9 months and although she fed roughly 2 hourly on non work days, she just had food and water when i worked. We continued to feed til almost 3.5 years. I had a bit of adjustment, and expressed initially for my comfort, but after a few weeks my breasts adjusted. My dd had extra feeds after work when i got home. she never took ebm, although we tried.

I also had dd brought to me for feeds, but she got too distracted and began getting distressed at leaving again, so i found it better to go the whole day. She also increased solid food intake on work days.