Closed Thread
Page 81 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear the new job is going well Arlais!

I went to see a GP/LC today to follow up on the thrush issue. Was very interesting, as it looks like I might be looking at continued uncomfortable nursing on the upside, Elliot is gaining a heap of weight (800g in the last two weeks) but my nipples are still red raw, swollen and painful. LC thinks it's not thrush but just damage. Turns out Elliot has an unusually high palate (most likely from being breach) so deep latch cannot be easily achieved until his head grows a bit. Also think the is biting down on nipple to control the flow. There is also the possibility of a tongue tie but not obvious and have to go back in two weeks as Elliot stopped being very cooperative. I had a feel under his tongue later on and can feel a definite 'fence' but it's not stopping him from sticking out his tongue. So in the mean time I just have to keep going. Have a new on nipple cream that is meant to take down the swelling, but disappointed that the pain is likely to be ongoing. Has anyone had issues/previous experience with continuous painful nursing or tongue ties?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ladies, just a quick message to let you all know we are home!! We brought our beautiful girls home yesterday and survived our first night 😃 it's so surreal having then here and being HOME! It's been 3 months since we've had any form of "normal" so now we can just be a family - finally!!

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jb2011 For This Useful Post:

Amps  (18-07-2014),Arlais  (18-07-2014),bedlover  (18-07-2014),lotsathoughts  (19-07-2014),Ngaiz  (18-07-2014),Octoberbaby2010  (18-07-2014),SimpsonDesert  (18-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent news Jb! That's so exciting, congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news JB!

Sorry to hear about those issues Berra. Ellie had a tongue tie which causes grazing and bruising on my nipples. We got it cut within a week of birth so hard to say how much difference it made. She is now 11.5 weeks and feeding has been pain free for quite a while now. I think after 2 weeks it was a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations Jb, it's an amazing feeling isn't it xx I hope Maggie and Ava are loving their new beds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey all. Any advice on how to get dd to take a bottle? Dh has injured himself and it looks like he could be off work for some time so I may have to return to work very soon

After bf for the last six weeks she is now refusing a bottle. I can't leave her if she is going to scream hungry. I'm so stressed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Ngaiz you poor thing. What a bummer. Is DH covered by workers comp?

Ok, so first thing is to try not to stress as bub will pick up on it. Take some deep breaths - it will be fine.

Second thing is to enlist some help. I don't think bub will want to take a bottle from you when she knows the boob is right there.

I wouldn't try when she is super hungry. Maybe give her some boob and then pass her off to DH to try some bottle and you leave the room.or if she is feeding 3hrly, do your usual bf and then try a bottle at 1.5 hrs later or just before she goes down - again, you be elsewhere.

I wouldn't try and force it on her. Try a few times and if she isn't interested then leave it til next feed. If you do a small BF them try bottle and it is unsuccessful, do some playing or a nappy change etc so that she isn't getting more boob immediately after not taking the bottle.

Finally, be prepared to invest in a few different types of bottles / teats. Different babies prefer different shapes, and the flow / speed is different for different teats so some make be too slow for her and other might flood her with milk. I used Medela bottles and then Advent, but I know others that like the rounder Closer to Nature type.

I am sure if you get stuck the child health nurse or the ABA will be able to help.

Good luck on all fronts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very sorry to hear Ngaiz- how stressful! I was going to suggest trying different brand bottles... I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this but just want to say hang in there and I hope your DH is ok!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz, so sorry. Can imagine that would be stressful. It's hard not to stress but if you do she will pick up on it, which is so hard!

Abi isn't great with the bottle either. I've found she only drinks from the Nuk bottle. Like bedlover said I got her to take it first by getting DH to feed her with it. But different to bedlover, she only generally takes it if she's starving. Think she gets to a point where she doesn't care where it comes from.
    But don't stress her out when she's hungry. Maybe express a small but into a bottle and keep it ready to go at each feed. If it doesn't work save it for the next one.

Good luck.
    Hope DH is ok xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I'll take it all on board.

It was a sports injury so no compo he's ruptured his Achilles tendon. I'm so mad with him as we decided at the beginning of the year he wasn't going to play because I would be on mat leave. He goes back to the fracture clinic next week to see what time frame surgery/recovery will be.

We can survive on one income but not half of mine. I can also get my ppl pays to him if I go back to work. I hassled him months ago to get income protection ins but of course he would not listen

I'm OK with going back to work (as much as it sucks), but the issue is dh is completely immobile so he can't look after Lex. I don't even know if work can accommodate an early return or if I will have to look elsewhere.

I have a cousin who may be able to help out during the day if I drop dh and L at her place but the only solution I have right now is to send them back to NZ while I stay here and pay the mortgage That way, I know they will both be looked after by my mum and sil. I'm heart broken at the thought of it.