Closed Thread
Page 72 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    240gm in 6 days is fantastic btw- well done- a great result when you have to struggle through it with pain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BerraBrooder For This Useful Post:

Jay11  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Berra it sounds like it could be nipple thrush Does it feel like needles being poked through your nipple deep into your breast? Really sharp/shooting pain that isn't remedied with correct attachment and occurs between feeds. But the blue/bruising means it could be vasospasm.

I'll tell you what I did.

Got nilstat drops for bub and daktarin cream (cream works better than the gel) for me. Apply the cream after every feed but make sure you wipe it off before feeding. I also got 3xDiflucan (took every second day) as I found a protocol that the RWH in Melb uses. (Once I got to my good gp she was glad I had started treatment already) But pharmacies won't sell it to you for this reason so unfortunately I had to lie and go to 3 different pharmacies. I work in pharmacy so I had the advantage of knowing how to get around it. It is expensive this way so if you can, get to a gp for a script for it (they may also want to take a swab and milk sample). After religiously treating it I finally had relief after 3 weeks. Also vinegar rinses seemed to help too. I stopped using Lansinoh and made sure I changed breast pads and bras regularly and washed in hot water.

I read that it is common to get it if you have nipple damage. It can get into your milk ducts which is the cause of the breast pain, unfortunately the first gp I saw didn't believe this so I had to find another one.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 04-07-2014 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ngaiz- yes that pretty much sums it up, started as a pinching sensation in nipple but now it is a very sharp intense pain that goes all through the breast. Goes all the way to armpit on my left which is the bad side. Left side hurts when feeding from right too, so it's definitely not just the attachment (even though that may have caused this in the beginning). I started vinegar rinses tonight as saw on Internet, but might visit the pharmacy tomorrow. Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Berra I would get onto it straight away. My first call would be to the Australian Breastfeeding Assoc. They run a 24 hour help line.
    Then if I don't like what they have to say I would call health direct. Again, this is a 24 hr service and you get to speak to a nurse. If they nurse thinks it warrants it she can then put you through to a Dr who can do a phone consultation.
    The 3rd thing I would do if still not happy would be to hunt down a 24hr medical centre and go see a GP.

I hope you get an answer soon.

Ps. These are great services to be aware of should bub get sick too. Health direct is awesome for that - I have called many times when DS has been sick in the middle of the night. They have always given good advice ranging from wait and watch to go straight to the ER! Knowing your local 24hr / extended hours clinic is also important as they usually have a chemist nearby that is also open extended hours which all us mums will need at some point!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Riss - ignore that stupid LC! I think they sometimes overstep the limits of their training. I think you have done the best thing by booking to see your pead. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bedlover.. Yeah I'm so annoyed with her. Really don't want her back on Wednesday but I still need to work on attachment. After seeing the first one who was so positive and supportive I just got so down with this stupid one. I'm so glad I could get in to see the paed so early.

Berra- that sux about getting an lc. Local council doesn't have one? Hopefully it's not nipple thrush but thank you NGaiz for the treatment plan
    Elliot is so cute! That face is gorgeous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In addition to ABA do you have private health? MBP also has their own health line manned with nurses for advice. Your fund may have one too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys! Thanks to all of you. I made it to the chemist today but ended up talking to the pharmacist as all anti fungals were behind the counter. He urged me to go to emergency just in case I was developing mastitis. We went to the hospital and had a fantastic experience. I was so surprised. We saw someone really quickly who went and arranged a free consultation with the hospitals LC. They helped me with my latch and then got one of the docs to give me prescriptions for thrush meds. All no charge. So glad I went as LC found open cuts all around my areola (that I hadn't seen!) so stayed with me until we had a good latch and was very supportive. I didn't even birth at that hospital so I think I owe this LC a special Thankyou gift also great emergency doc as she freely admitted that lots of docs wouldn't know what to do with BF issues. She actually discharged us from emergency and walked us to maternity to find both the Lc and another doc who would do prescriptions for me.

So now I've got all my meds- this better get better!!!!! But finally feeling positive!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BerraBrooder For This Useful Post:

Amps  (06-07-2014),Arlais  (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great Berra!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's awesome news Berra. What a lovely experience! Hope it sorts itself out now.