Closed Thread
Page 63 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel like I've missed so much over the last few days. Everything just feels like a blur. Sorry if I have missed anyone I will need to go back and read the posts.

Congrats Becca on little Adele.

I'm still in hospital with Raffael. DH has been staying with me with has been a god send! I've been so emotional the last couple of days. I love this little man so much I just cry. Plus he really been struggling to keep latched on and sucking so I have been expressing with each feed so he has something to eat. Yesterday I got so emotional when they told me he lost more than 10% of his body weight and today he's lost a bit more so we bit the bullet and are topping him up with formula. He has been so content since but I'm hoping he will get this breast feeding thing as I'm making enough for him just need stimulation to bring in my full milk.
    Has anyone's bubs had issues with staying on the breast?? I've had the LC in helping every day and booked in for the clinic next Tuesday. Hoping when my milk comes in he won't have an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Riss, it's like a dream isn't it? I remember feeling the same in hospital.. I would just randomly pick her up in the middle of the night for cuddles and would just cry from the joy

Please don't put too much pressure on yourself. Mia lost more than 10% of her birth weight and I topped her up with formula there too.. They put the weight back on in no time once you get home and the milk is flowing.. I've still topped her up a couple times since then.. Just get as much help as you can with the latching on with the LC there.. I found the midwives brilliant at St Vinnies.. When you get home you can call you local council and they will send out a lactation consultant home within days for free.. Hang in there lovely, the start is hard work but gets better xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How did last night go bedlover?

Yesterday Lex was awake most of the day with only a couple of 20min naps between 11.30am and 8pm. Most of the time she was quite happy just chilling out and didn't want holding. After her bath at 6 I fed her like normal and put her to bed at 7. She grizzled until 8 and I had to settle her a couple of times. She woke at 12.30, 2.30, 4.30 & 7 and is currently fighting going to sleep now at 8.30. I read your post in the other thread and think your doing exceptionally well considering you have your ds well.

It doesn't help that dh alarm goes off at 4.20 and he snoozes it for half an hour grrrr. I'm sure it is what is waking her at that time. I've asked him to get straight up so it doesn't disturb her but he doesn't and proceeds to turn all the lights on and bang everything. God he's noisy. I'm giving him a couple more days until we move to the spare room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz - I would make dh move to the spare room if he isn't going to work with you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would Amps but he'd still have to come in and annoy us to get into the walk in. Plus, the spare bed is pretty comfortable

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Amps  (24-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ngaiz.

That sounds like a rough night you had last night. I would be relocating to the spare room too if I were you. I think DHs alarm wakes our entire household too but at 7am which is a reasonable time. Just annoying as rather than snooze it he just let's it go and go and go until I eventually kick him. By that point R is crying and DS is calling out to get up!

We had a much better night last night but still not great. R only woke once at 2.30am (which was awesome as I went to bed at 9pm so felt very calm and ready to deal with her) but then she wouldn't settle and was up for over 2 hours before she went back to sleep. This was a mix of crying, and just lying in her bed with eyes wide open staring into space that eventually turned into crying. At least with the regular wake ups and feeds she would go straight back to sleep! Let's see what happens tonight!

As for today it's more of the same. Up since 7am and no sleep. Threw her in the car and drove around for a bit (which is where I currently am). She is quiet but not asleep. At least I have a coffee in my hand!!

Am about to attempt grocery shopping as we have zero food in the house - hopefully she stays quiet or goes to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the nurse just gave me a few tips on what cries mean what. She also talked about if Abigail gets upset or cries lots that adds to her wind at night as everything is tight. She suffers most from around 6:30-8pm so it can take a little while for her to go down. Also she talked about babies needing 3 things to settle then fall asleep:
    -security (cuddles, wrap)
    -sound (shh, singing)
    -movement (patting, rocking)
    So if she isn't able to relax these three things should get her in the mood.
    Abi cries when I put her down to wrap sometimes so trying to get her to relax and feel comfortable so that she lets herself sleep.
    Trying to look for tired signs early so that she doesn't get overtired/overstimulated therefore will hopefully drift off to sleep easier.

It is hard when at night it's less settling than during the day you think "well you did it at night?". But I'll have to work hard to keep her cues consistent (wrapping) and her comfort levels up as she's stimulated more.

She also talked about when to pick up,pat or start again with settling. There's about a 5 min window to settle with an unsettled cry before she loses it and she doesn't know why she's crying. I think the key is to catch early with pats and shhing etc.

It was probably better than this but it's 2 in the morning and this is the best I can get out.

Oh and she actually said that cause Abi is getting some big blocks at night that she might not need to sleep as much in the day and to go by her cues rather than getting so stressed about time. Some calm time in the pram with a cover could be enough of a rest as it's time she's not getting overstimulated and adding to her evening gas problem.

Finally she said, I'm the mother and I know her the best. And trust my gut instinct. Sometimes I overthink things when all she needs is some cuddles.

Oh yeah, my mum was there and she had given her a 45minute sleep that morning. The nurse said that sometimes someone else, who is more relaxed can step in and break the cycle.
    So I'm going to try and not stress about her catnaps. 45 mins is better than her 20 min naps. If I can get an hour, that's a bonus.
    We'll see how it goes tomorrow. 😁

Ok, off to capitalize on some quiet sleep time. Fingers crossed

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lotsathoughts For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (25-06-2014),Arlais  (25-06-2014),hwaterhouse  (25-06-2014),Ngaiz  (25-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing Lotsa

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little girl
    Birth weight- 3.1kg current weight- 2.89kg

image.jpg

Huge congrats Becca- love her name and hope you are well- nice to hear from you too!!

Lotsa- great tips thanks so much- I was wondering about how long we really have to response to baby's cry before they have a melt down and are harder to settle.

Thanks everyone for the congrats- home from hospital today and feeling well. I'm 7kg down in my weight and have 5 to go, which I'm happy with. Just so nice to be home.
    The feeding is getting there, I know Riss and I have had similar experiences, I've also had heaps if time with the LC at the hospital.
    A midwife at my hospital also gave me the tip about using light to settle a baby. I was spending so much time making a nice quiet dark settling environment for baby but that just reminds them of the womb, not necessarily sleep time. Their eyes can't resist the light so once they are fed, changed, wrapped, settled (movement and soothing sounds) etc, place them in the basinet and turn the basinet so baby is facing light (in hospital, we had the main room light off and the cot in the ensuite door way with the light on, making sure her head was turned to the light), it helped to ensure she wasn't laying there with her eyes open for as long. Since I've been home today, I've found sun light has the same affect and have settled her outside in the sun (not direct sun light of course). Don't know if this helps.
    Last edited by Annerley; 25-06-2014 at 13:24.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annerley For This Useful Post:

lotsathoughts  (25-06-2014),Ngaiz  (26-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beautiful pic. Thanks for sharing. She looks so calm! First I've ever heard about using light. I must try it...