+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default **spin off** what causes a UTI?

I saw in another thread that a baby had a uti and I was wondering what caused it and how do you know if they have one?

Dd woke up this morning with a really strong urine smell in her nappy. It was so strong I thought she had done a poop and could smell it when I walked into her room. Dr Google said it could be caused from a UTI.

Are there another other symptoms I should be looking for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds had a uti once and apparently more common in girls than boys.
    I was told not enough water. Also poop getting up in the urine tract (something like that) which can cause infection

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to say not washing yourself and/or not urinating after having sex but I see you are asking about your DD!

UTIs are infections so they can be accompanied by a fever and usually are in kids. They are excruciatingly painful, you know if you have one, it feels like razor blades are coming out when you urinate. I had multiple UTIs as a child due to kidney failure. They can be caused by lots of things, but primarily bacteria being introduced to the urethra. (Poo getting in there, not cleaning down there properly, etc). It is more common in girls because they have a much shorter urethra. I get UTIs now if I don't wash immediately after sex, if I have a bath and I haven't completely cleaned myself before hand/the bath is dirty/there is too much soap in the bath, and if DP doesn't shower before sex. I get them a lot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Infection in the urinary tract. It can be caused by not cleaning well enough, cleaning in the wrong way or having various substances come into contact with the urethra. If left untreated it can lead to kidney problems.

If in doubt, go to a dr. A urinary sample is probably what they'll need.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will keep an eye on her. She doesn't seem to complain so it can't be hurting her and she doesn't have a fever, just the really strong smell. Thanks all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It can result in burning, but I found when I got them, it was more a frequency to urinate, but the inability to actually produce much. If she's going very regularly, it may be a UTI.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lack of fluids can be a cause. My dd has had one when she had tonsillitis and wasn't drinking enough. Dp has had one from not drinking enough water too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh symptoms . They were fever and lack of wet nappies.. ds also started getting weak cries.. I had no idea his lack of lots of wet nappies was bad. . He was a newborn.
    Go to doc. Ds spent days in hospital for this it was horrible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's worthwhile seeing a doctor. I identified a UTI in my DD as a baby because of the strong smelling urine. They then tested and she was found to have vesico-ureteric reflux requiring regular testing and medication to make sure her kidneys don't get damaged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. I will go an get her checked. Thanks ladies. Just curious...what would be a "normal" amount of nappies for a 6 month old wearing crawlers?