Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default New job and pre booked holiday

Hi lovely ladies,

I am currently interviewing for a new job. I am going for the third and final interview so it's time for me to tackle an issue and I would love your advises.

I have a 4 weeks holiday booked that would start 6 weeks into the new job. It would be hard and costly to cancel my plans as I would lose ~5k worth of plane tickets and house rental.

The position I am interviewing for is middle management and might start getting really busy right at the time I would go on leave depending on the companies. It might be ok to be away for the whole month of August work load wise or it might be plain impossible.

How would you approach it? Should I bring it up during my last interview (with HR + hiring manager)? Or should I wait for a possible offer and discuss options then?

I would personally chose to discuss it when negotiating salary etc, I believe everything can be discussed and negotiated, but I thought I'd ask for your opinions. Especially interested in yours @kw123!

Ta

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be upfront about it. Dropping it on them last minute would not be a good idea. Personally I would have told them at the first interview but that is just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't see it as such a big deal as I'm sure recruiters are confronted to these type of situations a lot (I know I have when recruiting for my team).

If it was such a big issue for then surely they would have asked my immediate availability? And maybe if I had any holiday booked? They haven't even approach the subject at all.

Yes I would have mentioned it if it was a deal or no deal kind of issue but I'm willing to make it work some way or another.

I should mention that they have been looking for the perfect candidate for a while now, so they might be willing to be flexible for the right person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1 or 2 week holidays yes but a 4 week holiday is a big deal. I would want to know. But if you feel that it isn't, you know the people and role level, tell them when doing the negotiations etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MINIRoo For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @MINIRoo would you ask during the interview process or just assume that the candidate would bring it up?
    just curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would always assume someone has to serve out a waiting period but if they had a holiday after starting they would tell me at the interview. I personally wouldn't wait til you had offer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would bring it up in the interview.

If they want you, they will work around it.

As an employer, I am looking for the right person for the job. Some hassles because they will be away at the beginning isnt going to deter me from offering the job to the person I think will fill the role best. They will wait for you ...

BUT, if I offered the role to someone, who then turned around and said 'oh yeah I want 4 weeks off ..." I would be pretty annoyed, and would be questioning whether or not they actually are the right person.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had planned time away when being interviewed for a position.

I told them during the interview that, if my application was successful, I would need time off from x to y dates. They thanked me for the forewarning and I got the position.

I would definitely tell them during the interview.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (17-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for your advices

I will mention it to the head hunter and see what he says.

I don't want 4 weeks off. I have 4 weeks off booked at my current company. I chose not to mention it as I felt it was not relevant until they want me to work with them.
    Obviously I am very flexible with this leave and if they say no I would probably cancel the holiday altogether.

Interesting advices ladies. It's good to see the different opinions and way of thinking

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So sorry @Lili81 I only just saw this.

Yep agree that you need to tell them now. I would probably have told them a bit earlier.... I am sure they will be ok with it if you're the right candidate. They won't not give you the job because you need four weeks off. But I have been part of many conversations where the people involved in hiring someone where a tad peeved about "bombs" being dropped on them at the last minute.

I'm sure it will be fine. Is there any way you could talk to the employer directly at this point? Guessing not if there is an agency involved.

Exciting. What's the job? And where is the holiday!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post: