+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Severe Hand, Foot and Mouth disease.

Has anyone else's child had a severe case of HFMD? Our 12 month old got it a week ago, was very sick, high fever for days and was covered head to toe in blisters. He also has the on the hands/palms/feet/soles as well as in his mouth, on his lips and down his throat (couldn't swallow water). A horrendous ordeal but he's much better and they are all drying up. The blisters/scabs are actually drying out pretty well and looking a lot better but i'm so worried they are going to scar. The GP said it was def HFM and he caught it from another child who had it confirmed by blood test (and also had the blisters all over) but that it was an unusual strain.

Is there anything good to put on it to promote healing so it won't scar? I'm hoping it won't but they still look so red and angry. We used calamine when they we're really angry and it did dry them out pretty well. I'm not sure if should use his moo goo moisturiser on them or just let them dry out.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no idea how to help but just wanted to say your poor poor baby. That looks beyond belief. My DS had the normal strain at 12 mths and that was terrible - I can't imagine what your family has been through. Sending big hugs your way for a quick and scar free recovery xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would something like vitamin e or bio oil help do you think? Maybe if you used that to keep them moist they might not scan as much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Poor bubba
    Rosehip oil is great for scaring, bio oil has Rosehip and we used it on dd's eczema scaring from when she was around 18 months old.
    I'd just check to be sure with using it on a 12mo, but I can't see why it would be an issue.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, I took DS to the beach ever single morning and night and found salt water therapy to be an absolute god send. I don't know how far you live away but it helped us through a very horrible time. His nappy area was COVERED and he just cried and cried and cried. I had to phenergon him at night as the sores in his bum crack made him think he had pooed and he was constantly asking me to change his bum and he couldn't sleep. It never really went away either, it kinda comes back when he's hot or sweaty of travelled a long distance. Nappy free time and the dots go away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing, our little one recently had it and was just as bad as the pictures you have shown and in some areas even more covered, it was 4 days before she could walk or touch anything with her hands. Her face was horrible as well and the blisters covered all around her mouth, lips and up both her cheeks to her eyes and inside her mouth was just terrible but amazingly her face has cleared up the quickest. She still has some red marks where it was but I've just started putting moogoo and coconut oil on her face as it was dry. Her hands, arms, legs and feet are also slowly getting there, her blisters are now peeling so I'm waiting until they have finished peeling and then I will start with the moogoo and coconut oil in those areas. Apparently it isn't meant to scarbbut we will see. It's now 3 weeks since our little one got it and I think it will still be a couple more weeks before things are not so noticeable on the rest of her body. We ended up seeing 3 dr's for various reasons when she was really bad and each of them were mortified when they saw her and said they hadn't seen it as bad as what she had it. It was a horrible experience. I hope your little one recovers quickly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to numummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    How terrible, your poor bubba. My DS had a mild case aged 2. But recently caught Staph and that was bad, he's still got scars but only a few weeks on so hoping they'll go.

I think something moisturising would be good, perhaps Vit E cream or bio oil. Going to try this on my son's scars.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I swear by the ocean. It has enzymes that eat the bad stuff and no scaring at all

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the responses. I have some coconut oil and I tried that on him tonight. They're looking a lot better, have just all dried out. I'll get some rosehip oil too. I'm really hoping they are just angry looking and won't scar. I might start putting done moogoo on too.

Seawater would be perfect but alas its 3 hrs away.

Gosh I can't bear the thought of another baby catching it, it was the most awful virus. The blisters just kept coming up more every hour, his entire body, ears, scalp, inside his nose, it was scary. We were lucky to avoid hospital as he wouldn't take water for about a day, he was in too much pain in his throat.