+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does work life juggle get harder as kids get older?

I've always worked while having kids but I'm considering giving up my 10+ year career to become a stay at home mum. With my eldest DD in primary school and another set to start next year I am finding it harder and harder to juggle everything. It was so much easier to fit daycare in with work. But now I feel like I'm missing out on so much, and my eldest is starting to struggle with not having me around after school. I feel stressed and on the go all - the - time. I can't give 100% to anything. It feels like I'm about to do the complete opposite of most mums who usually begin to consider returning to work once their kids are all at school. So has any one else quit their job to stay at home when their kids were older? What was your experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my one year old in childcare while working full time and once she started school and I didn't have to pay childcare I went part time. I figured I would stay part time till she was in year 3 or so - well here we are in year 9 and I'm still part time. I'm a single mum and it's only my income so I lose a lot of money, but as you are finding I think it's more important to be around after school as they get older. As I'm guiding my child through these difficult teenage years I'm so glad I am able to be there from 3pm rather than have her come home to an empty house. So many of her friends parents are full time and I find I'm often picking up/having them over which is fine as my house is a safe controlled place for kids which I'm hoping will make 15,16,17,18 easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have found working was much easier when DD was at daycare. I've recently returned to work part time after maternity leave, it certainly makes life a lot easier.

Being a working mum is hard & my DD was devastated when I returned to work part time, she definitely prefers me to be home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not a case of easier or harder, you just have to juggle a greater variety of things.

From preps/foundation to about grade 4 was the easiest time so far. The kids could dress themselves, pack their own lunches and help to get things organised and they also happily went off to OSHCare.

What I found harder was the greater interaction required by the school and often the lack of notice - being told on Thursday they're getting an award at Friday's assembly just doesn't give me time to organise time off work.

Now my eldest is in secondary school and DD is still in Primary school we've hit some difficult stages - juggling two schools, two different curriculum days, two different PTI days, organising drop off/pick up at the same time on different sides of town is hard enough without DD's behavioural issues resurfacing and so I've cut back on work hours to be there when they get home to supervise homework etc - and there's no ASC for secondary kids :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to read later ❤️

DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

Egg donor 2012

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah I found it much more difficult to juggle work and kid stuff.

I ended up reducing my hours substantially, and just doing school hours - but I am lucky, my work is very flexible and have treated me really well.

As @WorkingClassMum says, the school doesnt often give much notice of requirements, so being the hands on type Mum who is there and helps out, while committing to work can be very hard.

Also, the after school activities and play dates increase ... they need that social interaction, and it is much easier to get to know the other parents to make that happen if you are free after school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. School aged kids are SO busy. If I could work school hours 3 days a week that paid a lot that would be fab. But alas, where do you find a job like that?

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD1 is in high school and there are less demands (for want of a better word) for my time in school hours than the younger ones. I think it does get easier ... sort of.

Our Primary School is very encouraging of parent helpers and my children lay guilt trips so well.

I work full time hours (in a few jobs) but spread out over a longer day. So I have more flexibility to be at school events. When working a standard 8-4 job it was exhausting for all of us and I did feel like I missed so much of their school events.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, working full time hours is possible when they are in daycare...so much harder when they are at school.

My DS does sport 5 days a week....but it is also being present in the classroom as a helper, canteen duty, assemblies....it is way more involved.