+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can be so hard. I agree to throw out the noodles and chips. Make your own chips. My ds is 17 months and was really really really fussy to begin with and i was going nuts. He still can be difficult when tired. If he hasn't slept well or is unwell then I stick with things I know he loves.

What i do now is have a tasting plate of a few different things. Include one new thing every few days along with stuff he does like so it's not a totally foreign meal for him. So for lunch on one plate there might be 3 things i know he will eat plus one new item. And yes you do need to offer it again and again and again! Don't be disheartened if it doesn't work. Persist.

I also think it's important to eat together. Sit down and have fun with your food. If she sees mummy really enjoying her lunch or dinner then she might want to join in? Let her have a bite from your plate. Is she interested in watching you cook and 'help'? I offer tidbits of what I'm cooking to ds as I'm chopping it up and he likes to watch me prepare food. Get her involved.

At the end of the day it's most important to keep mealtimes battle free. If she's refusing to eat what you've made then clear it away and say "lunch is over". No emotion.

The "one handed cooks" website is a really good source of information on this topic. I highly recommended you check it out.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnels View Post
    It can be so hard. I agree to throw out the noodles and chips. Make your own chips. My ds is 17 months and was really really really fussy to begin with and i was going nuts. He still can be difficult when tired. If he hasn't slept well or is unwell then I stick with things I know he loves.

What i do now is have a tasting plate of a few different things. Include one new thing every few days along with stuff he does like so it's not a totally foreign meal for him. So for lunch on one plate there might be 3 things i know he will eat plus one new item. And yes you do need to offer it again and again and again! Don't be disheartened if it doesn't work. Persist.

I also think it's important to eat together. Sit down and have fun with your food. If she sees mummy really enjoying her lunch or dinner then she might want to join in? Let her have a bite from your plate. Is she interested in watching you cook and 'help'? I offer tidbits of what I'm cooking to ds as I'm chopping it up and he likes to watch me prepare food. Get her involved.

At the end of the day it's most important to keep mealtimes battle free. If she's refusing to eat what you've made then clear it away and say "lunch is over". No emotion.

The "one handed cooks" website is a really good source of information on this topic. I highly recommended you check it out.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This exactly. Such great advice.
    My dd also really doesn't like fruit. I've been offering her strawberries for about 8 months. The first time she loved it. . after that she would look at it, touch it. .. but never eat it. After months and months of offering her strawberry at least twice a week. .. she's eating them, and no exaggeration, I've persisted with it for at least 6 months. Sounds weird but that's one example (I do this with everything). Persistence is key. As funnels said. . keep offering new things along with other preferred foods.

Another thing is to mix up when you offer the preferred foods. Don't always resort to it at the end, they learn that if they refuse everything they'll get what they like. My dd loves yogurt and cheeses. So sometimes I offer her cheese first then new foods or things she's refused. The next meal I'll offer the yogurt or something in the middle or at the end of dinner. (I try to offer three selections each meal).

One thing I've been doing with fruit is smoothies. My dd loves yogurts too... so I make fruit smoothies with yogurt and put it in a special straw cup. She knows this is only for that and I let her sip and play with cup at the end of each meal. She seems to be increasing how much she has. The first few times she's tasted and refused. But it gets better.

I hope things improve!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (16-05-2014),tubster  (15-05-2014),~Marigold~  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh yes smoothies! I used to add all sorts of things without him having a clue. LSA, chia seeds etc., even spinach and other goodies, all get blended in so much they don't know they are there, especially when mixed with milk and fruit like banana and berries just blend for at least 1 minute on full speed to get all the bits blended.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She used to be a really good eater actually before she started to walk. She would eat anything we serve up to her, variety veggies and meat. Then all of a sudden she decided she doesn't want any of it probably since 14 months old. She would make herself vomit if it's anything other than what she wanted.
    She doesn't drink formula, it's cows milk. And I am determined to get rid of the mid night one and the mid day one.
    I do make homemade nuggets and I put veggies in it and blend them together but she seems to be able to taste the difference. We bake the chips, not homemade.
    Maggie noodles we ditch the seasoning. She has been spending a lot of time at my MILs house over the past few months and Maggie noodles was introduced there and it's just easy for my MIL to serve up to her and give her what ever she wants. And my MIL insists on giving her midday milk (her reason is that she's not eating anything else). So her routine is very inconsistent. (This is not a post complaining about my MIL and I have spoke to her and hubby about it but it's not getting anywhere and we are grateful for what she's doing for us)
    We eat together as a family. Mr 3 eats very well and DD loves digging into his plate and my plate, but more for fun not for the food.
    She sleeps pretty well, wakes once for half a bottle of milk, I am slowly reducing this.
    Recently I tried to make chicken soup then put noodles in it and replicate my own version of Maggie chicken flavored noodle, I managed to get her to eat it twice. It was a relief to see her trying something new.
    I am not worried about her weight she's 50th percentile, she looks healthier than my boy who eats only healthy food. But I am worried about her food preferences and am trying to lead her to the right direction without starving her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you ladies cook for dinner that's popular with your toddlers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My (almost) 19mo's favourites are any type of curry, spag bol, tuna & rice with peas & corn, risotto, chicken & mushroom, chicken pasta bake (Leggos Sundried jar), grilled fish and on lazy nights he has some sort of toastie, yoghurt & fruit or scrambled eggs. DS also loves dipping toast soldiers into a runny egg. Green smoothies are good too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You said she likes pancakes - have you tried potato pancakes or corn/zucchini fritters? If she eats maggi noodles, will she eat spaghetti? I agree with tying smoothies.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

tubster  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    What do you ladies cook for dinner that's popular with your toddlers?
    I've always given DS what we eat and we always eat together - are you guys eating as a family?
    DS fav dinners are:
    Butter chicken curry and rice
    Fish tacos
    Veggie pizza
    Falafel kebabs
    Lasagna
    Crumbed flat head and veggies
    Chicken and veggie soup
    Any kind of stirfry

It is common at your DD age to become fussy but only as she is obviously taking preference to certain foods that she had been given ( maybe she likes the saltiness of the chips and noodles ?) and has decided in her clever little mind that she won't try any thing else as she knows she will always be given what she wants!
    So yes if it were me I would ditch any kind of packet noodle / chips and just include her in the nightly dinner , if she eats that's great, if not put it in the fridge and if she's hungry try again, don't make a fuss and hopefully eventually she will start trying food - especially if she sees you and her brother enjoying your dinner
    What snacks are you offering during the day?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

tubster  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She doesn't eat spaghetti, doesn't eat stir fry or fish, or anything really
    We all had butter chicken and veggie tonight and she refused to eat any of it.
    I offer her fruit and yogurt during the day for snacks and she LOVES them. Very rarely she gets crackers from home.
    She would try something if it looks like fries. Have tried to trick her a few times but doesn't work. She'll spit it out and then try to get rid of the taste on her tongue by rubbing it with towel.