+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18 month old won't eat proper food?

DD is 18 months old and there's not much she eats at all!
    She would have only pancakes for breakfast and I am ok with that. I home make them and I add fruits.
    Other than that she won't eat anything else! Which makes lunch and dinner really difficult!
    She sometimes would eat chicken nuggets (I would be laughing! I add veggies to it) and chips, and Maggie noodles.
    She does love fruit and yorgurt.

I have tried everything, not sure what to do now. Should I try not giving her anything until she eats what she's given?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Maybe write down everything she does eat over the course of a week.
    You may be surprised at how much she is actually getting?
    How much milk does she have?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is nearly 2.5 and her list of likes is still pretty short! Its better than it was 6 months ago, but its still not where I'd like it to be. I kind of gave up awhile ago and just went with it, i compensated by giving her the sqeazy pouches and adding pureed fruit to yoghurt, because she will not eat whole fruit. She still won't eat vegies unless its mashed, and I have a hard time getting her to eat meat unless its sausages or crumbed. I guess my point is, it will come... eventually and the more you stress about it, the more it will do your head in! I figure as long as she is having something reasonable then I am happy. I will keep trying though!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to my2monkeys For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have found the books "give peas a chance" by Kate samla and "the mighty toddler" by robin barker incredibly reassuring. Fussy toddlers are normal my 16 month old is similar but it doesn't bother me, I've accepted her limited tastes as a passing and normal phase, I keep offering but I'm not bothered that dd refuses.
    My dd doesn't eat fruit (except sometimes in yogurt), veg (except corn) or meat unless it's nuggets lol.
    I use fortified bread (wonder white) and use pentative multivitamin liquid and Cheerios which she snacks on.

Try not to stress

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014),~Marigold~  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Maybe write down everything she does eat over the course of a week.
    You may be surprised at how much she is actually getting?
    How much milk does she have?
    She takes a bottle before bed, half over night. And sometimes she gets a cup of milk during the day if she refuses to eat anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the past few months now when she refuses to eat even if I starve her a bit (doesn't work) she still wouldn't eat. So I have just given her what she wanted, either Maggie noodles (I know this is bad but I can't let her starve ) or chips. I try to make her nuggets and she would only eat it half of the time. She doesn't eat any other meat at all.
    She loves fruit and yorgurt. Breakfast I am not worried.
    Only veggie she would eat is broccoli and I am so happy she likes it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is She sleeping through the night?
    Honestly, i would cut of the bottles all together. if she is having formular, cut that right out. Offer her broccoli, homemade nuggets (just puree some chicken breast and crumb it) and try one vege a week. If she doesnt eat it, dont worry. It can take up to 10 times of offering a food for kids to even try it.
    Dont give in and give her noodles or chips...that is just encouraging her to stick her nose up at the family meal.

Its normal for kids to go through phases...dont beat yourself up too much

11. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give her broccoli. Fruit and yoghurt are fine too!
    Maggi noodles- I would skip the seasoning packs- very salty. Why not mix them with some veggies, either puréed or cut small? Worth a try. If she's still having formula milk you can be assured she's getting some nutrients out of that too. Just persevere with offering a new thing each week

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mean this in the nicest way possible but I don't understand when people say their toddler *only* eats chips or Maggi noodles etc... (I best add the disclaimer: apart from sensory/other issues & eta: I know you are not exactly saying this OP) . They are toddlers...just stop offering them those foods. Only offer healthier alternatives. E.g. Home made potato/sweet potato fries are a much better alternative to store bought. Remember that it often takes many tries before a child will eat or like a certain food, so persevere.

There are heaps of good books and websites on hiding veggies in foods.

I know most toddlers go through fussy stages, I have a nearly 4 year old who can be super fussy at times. I'm not saying it's easy. But ultimately if you don't want her to have certain foods, don't offer them whatsoever.

Eta: reading over my post it sounds harsh and I'm really not meaning it to be at all! I get that it's hard when they refuse completely, I really do. I guess I just meant that if there are foods you aren't really happy about her having, stop offering altogether rather than giving in because you know she will eat it. Eventually if you persevere with a range of foods you will find more things that she enjoys. DS has just started a love affair with raw cucumber of all things!
    Last edited by Colbie; 15-05-2014 at 21:11.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Does she eat dinner with you?

The best strategies that worked for me -

- was eating together as a family, and enjoying food, the textures, tastes etc

- having big platters for family sharing with lots of different things for DD to help herself to with some pretty tongs ($2 pink ones from Trade Secret)

- introducing "dipping" > little pots of sour cream, salsa, mashed avo, hommus etc with strips of capsicum, thin strips of carrot, curly pasta, chunks of good ham, green beans etc to "dip" with

Good luck, it's hard I know. Our "fussy eater" recently had her tonsils and adenoids done (enlarged and manky to quote our ENT!) and since then she has started eating chicken breast strips, mashed potato, cheese on toast, fried rice, frittata, ham, strips of medium cooked beef, fish and we are working on introducing new textures and flavours everyday

She is a different child.

Good luck!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-05-2014)