+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My opinion is that medical professionals know better than I do, and I am not comfortable giving a baby anything but breastmilk until about 6 months. My son started at 5.5 months and so far (at 3) there haven't been any negative consequences, he is a great eater and has no allergies.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls started at 4mths due to severe reflux. Dd1 has no food allergies but dd2 has a severe egg allergy and maybe lactose intolerance as well. We are booked in for an allergy test in a fortnight at the children's hospital. Feeding them solids that early was a godsend for their reflux. They settled better and slept better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekymonstersmum For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children were ready when they could sit unsupported, had lost the tongue thrust reflex, could grasp something and bring it easily to their mouth and showed desire. For mine, this was at 5 months 3 weeks and the other 6 months, neither have any allergies.

Re the reason for increasing allergies, I have seen a couple of things suggesting that the increasing rate of c-sections and use of antibiotics in labour could play a part due to the baby not having their gut *****ised by the bacteria from their Mother's vagina.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014),MilkingMaid  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol why is c.o.l.o.n.i.s.e.d a bad word in BH?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried at 4 months (rice cereal and purée). She hated it. Tried again a month later. Hated it. Kept persisting. Took me until 9 months and losing a bottle for her to start to eat them. At 16 months old she is the biggest piggy ever and loves her food!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    lol why is c.o.l.o.n.i.s.e.d a bad word in BH?
    lol just a bit odd

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started at about 5 months with my kids. When they showed interest and could sit upright on their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not personal, but my sister started my nephew at around 4 months on advice on her paediatrician. My nephew suffered from really bad silent reflux and would have a thickener added to his night time bottle from around 2 months of age (was fully breast fed/expressed breast milk), on top of the reflux meds he was on, to help keep it down when he was going to bed of a night time. Adding in the solids at around the 4 month mark - mostly just the Farex type cereals, plus some fruit and veg - helped settle his reflux. He's almost 2 and has completely grown out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My personal option is all babies are different. Babies won't eat if they aren't ready.
    All 4 of my babies didn't have solids until after 6 months. They didn't need it and I didn't need the extra work. I have friends whose babies were hungry from 4 months and I mean devouring meals and still drinking their milk.