+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think 6 months, but depending on the child and their interest in food (although even if they were interested I personally still wouldn't give solids before 5 months).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months with no rice cereal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It varies for each child there is no set age. I had one ready at 4 months, one who didnt eat a thing until 7-8 months but he had an issue with his tongue and DS3 started at 4.5 months on medical advice

I also hated rice cereal and didnt use it witj DS1 or DS2. But was recommended to feed it to DS3. People scoff and say it's bull5hi7 but his reflux symptoms died off when he had rice cereal every day. If we stopped giving it to him for a few days and just stuck with fruit and veggies, it started getting really bad again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, I felt I got it right with my 5th child, I waited until he was almost 8 months. He was a very big boy and had no need for extra calories that was for sure!
    i started as young as 16 weeks for my first (he really wasn't interested) 5 months for babies 2 and 3 and nearly 7 months for baby 4.
    i feel 4 months is too early and don't really buy that if hey reach for food they are ready to eat because it's a milestone, they reach for everything.
    we always did milk feeds first (food like an hour after, before the next milk) and I do think that milk is the most important thing until they are one year old.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    generally speaking 4 months.
    Its different for each baby. My DD was ready at 4 months...she was showing all the signs and never got constipated and never looked back. Eats anything now and has no allergies.
    My DS was 3 months old. He was eyeing up our dinner and never looked back either. He was eating spag bol and all fruit and veges, egg, honey, peanut butter, bread, dairy everything (the family meals) by 6 months old. He now eats anything and everything and lots of it...its still amazes me how much he can eat in one go...6 weetbix and milk is not uncommon for his breakfast. He also has no allergies. I can also count on my 2 hands how many times my kids have been sick. He was nearly 10lb born and by the time he was 6 weeks was 6.5kg...i had heaps milk but he needed more. Hes a normal weight now, 18kg at 3.5 years.

Its MY opinion that we are leaving it too late to introduce food and this is the reason we are seeing more and more allergies. We are leaving peanuts, egg, honey too late (unless of course their is a family history of allergies).
    Last edited by loislane2010; 15-05-2014 at 18:42.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    generally speaking 4 months.
    Its different for each baby. My DD was ready at 4 months...she was showing all the signs and never got constipated and never looked back. Eats anything now and has no allergies.
    My DS was 3 months old. He was eyeing up our dinner and never looked back either. He was eating spag bol and all fruit and veges, egg, honey, peanut butter, bread, dairy everything (the family meals) by 6 months old. He now eats anything and everything and lots of it...its still amazes me how much he can eat in one go...6 weetbix and milk is not uncommon for his breakfast. He also has no allergies. I can also count on my 2 hands how many times my kids have been sick.

Its MY opinion that we are leaving it too late to introduce food and this is the reason we are seeing more and more allergies. We are leaving peanuts, egg, honey too late (unless of course their is a family history of allergies).
    Just quickly, the recommendation to not give honey to under 12 month olds isnt to do with allergy its to do with botulism. We dont delay introducing anything with DS3 (have with DS2, he still hasnt had nuts) but I will not give any sort of honey until after he turns 1.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Just quickly, the recommendation to not give honey to under 12 month olds isnt to do with allergy its to do with botulism. We dont delay introducing anything with DS3 (have with DS2, he still hasnt had nuts) but I will not give any sort of honey until after he turns 1.

Yeah i know but i even gave my kids the evil unpasturized honey and they were fine!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not gone by age but signs of readiness and content ness. DD1 was 18 weeks. I noticed her eyes following the banana I was eating and mimicking my eating motions. She was also having a large amount of formula, 6-7 x210ml bottles. She was and is a big eater, but skinny mini!
    DD2 was 5.5 months, same reasons, really started to pay a lot of attention to food but was definately not interested at the same age as her sister.
    Each babe is different, I go by their cues.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KyD For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go by when they can sit unassisted, have lost the tongue thrust and are showing interest in food. With DD1 that was about 4-5 months and DD2 has only been super interested from about 8 months.

With both I skipped rice cereal, tasted like crap so I felt bad giving it to them haha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just followed my childrens lead. We never fed any rice cereal, we follow BLW.
    DS was ready just after 4 months and now at 3.5y he is a great eater with no allergies.
    DD was ready at 6 months and has an insanely sensitive egg allergy.
    Last edited by Lincolns mummy; 15-05-2014 at 19:19.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)