+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In my experience 7m is about the right time

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with PP's - it varies from child to child but when the majority of the following is happening;

The child has developed a pincer grip (capable of holding a pea),
    shows interest in what a parent/siblings are eating,
    has lost the tongue thrust reflex,
    has neck/head control and,
    according to much older women members of my family, when the first tooth is present.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it varies. DD was barely ready for solids at 7-8 months, DS1 was apparently born ready and started around 4-5 months.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I started at 6 months, but I think a bit earlier would also have been fine. My (largely uneducated) opinion is that, when we were cavemen, babies probably just put things in their mouths and slowly learned what food was. If they ate a rock, it would just come out the other end, if they ate something that made them feel sick, they wouldn't eat that again for a while.

So I think babies are ready to start tasting a little bit of food whenever they start putting it in their mouths and that would vary from baby to baby.
    hehehe I had a bit of a giggle at the caveman theory

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CSCA For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    When they can sit upright when supported, have excellent head and neck control, have lost the tongue thrust reflex and are showing interest in food. This generally occurs between 4-6 months. I've never seen or heard of a child who can do all those things before 4 months. I also skipped white rice cereal with DD2 as there's no real nutritional benefit and went straight to steamed mashed veg/fruit and fresh food like avocado.
    Eta- I forgot- pincer grip is also a sign of readiness
    ^THIS^
    Ttly what I was going to say.

Personally ds wasn't interested in food till well after 6mths. He turned his nose up at it didn't care for it at all. He was still putting on weight and thriving on just bottles until then.

Dd was 5 1/2mths when we started doing proper meals each day. She hadn't put on weight for a few weeks and was very interested in what we were eating. She did have a play with some textures before this bub rarely are any of it.

I skipped farex with both kids. We did BLW in a way. Not strictly. But incorporating finger foods with fork mashed foods at each meal. Both my kids had a variety of flavours and foods including eggs, strawberries, peanut butter etc right from the start. I avoid any added sugars and honey. Anything else is for their liking. They both are allergy free and great eaters.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 15-05-2014 at 17:00.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (15-05-2014),CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I waited until DS could sit properly in his high chair, had good fine motor skills and until his p00/digestion had changed. All of this happened just before 6 months so we started at 6 months. The reason why is because we were following baby led weaning and we wanted to make sure DS was ready and able to feed himself.

ETA we started with ripe soft fruits cut into finger pieces and went from there. Didn't bother with anything processed like baby cereals.

The only "allergy" DS seems to have is to kiwifruit. It's just a mild hives rash at this stage.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 15-05-2014 at 17:08.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It varies from child to child. DS1 was ready at just over four months and that's when we started. We offered solids to DS2 at just over four months but he wouldn't have a bar of it. He was keen by six months.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    We started at 5 months as ds showed us he was ready. Sitting up unsupported no tongue thrust reflex etc. A mum in my mother's group started her bub at 10 weeks under paediatric advice.

♥ him + me = you 17/9/13 ♥

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    some old school tales.. food for thought http://community.babycenter.com/post...437556528&pd=1

Thanks
    Reviews
    It varies between children - some take to it better & faster than others. My son refused almost all solids until well after 8-9 months, he was really behind the "recommended guidelines." Whereas our daughter happily began at 5 months. She is now almost 10 months & has x3 bottles, x3 solid meals per day.