+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hyperemesis Gravidarum Awareness day, do you know what HG is?

Today, May 15th, is HG awareness day. If you have been through it, or are going through it, i send you strength and hugs.

For those that have no idea what Hyperemesis Gravidarum is, have a look here http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum.

Basically HG is translated as 'excessive vomiting in pregnancy'. This excessive vomiting causes weight loss, inability to eat or drink anything which leads to dehydration, among other things. HG sufferers are often told "its all in your head", "try thinking positively" and the most hated phrase uttered to HG sufferers is "have you tried ginger". (For the record ginger its avoided because a, it does nothing and b, its disgusting going down and burns coming up).

Personally, i had HG twice (and a milder form at that). I was in hospital 6times over 2pregnancies with severe dehydration. I was hooked up to IV drips and given anti-emetic shots. I was on a continuous 24hr drip at the most severe week. I was lucky that my HG stopped by 26 and 20wks. Others are not so lucky, some even vomiting after birth.

There is not enough known about the cause, and there is no medication that stops it (I was on multivitamin, b6, ondansetron (zofran), restivit and rantidine (zantac) daily, with no relief. Some women have HG so severe they are put on PICC lines for nutrition.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is NOT morning sickness.

Please read and share so more research is done, hopefully by the time my daughter has children, it will have a cure (HG often presents in the female line of women in the family, eg Grandmother, Mother then Daughter) I do not want my daughter to be so sick that she wishes termination, or to fade away.

Thanks.

Share your HG stories below.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

michellek  (15-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Subbing will share my story once kids are in bed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had no idea it was HG awareness day today. It really is a misunderstood condition and incredibly frustrating for us who have suffered from it.

I had HG during my first pregnancy and vomited countless times a day until the day AFTER I gave birth. Thankfully in my 2nd pregnancy I just had wretched morning sickness until 20 weeks and then mild nausea for the rest of the pregnancy! I truly don't know how I got through my first pregnancy especially as I was living overseas at the time with no family support and trying to hold down a full time job. It was insane - I don't know how I would have managed if I already had a child/ren to look after too. I was living in the UK and at no time was I offered any medication - every midwife/nurse told me there was nothing you could take during pregnancy for it.

I have had friends tell me that their lack of symptoms during first trimester is just as bad as HG as they stressed that there was something wrong with their baby. Umm no!! It is completely debilitating and has definitely impacted upon the timing and amount of children we have. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone and really feel for anyone who suffers from it. Thank god there is an extremely worthwhile reward at the end of the whole thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing! I wanted to do the HG 5k run but moving house blew that out the window lol
    I suffered mild sickness with my 1st pregnancy and my 2nd I suffered horrible HG! I was in hospital countless times and wanted to give up...luckily I only suffered for 16wks.. No one understood what I was going through and I had to fight to get fluids.. I couldn't work for 16wks and the medication is sooo expensive!! I couldn't use any of my loan insurances because "pregnancy" isn't covered...
    It affects every part of your life and I hope more awareness and understanding for the future!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bump

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd never even heard of it until I was on Bubhub, I think myself incredibly lucky to never have had personal experience of it!!
    I can't imagine how awful it must be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had HG my 2nd pregnancy, first hospitalisation for dehydration at 7wks preg & it just kept going from there.

Multiple hospital admissions for fainting & dehydration saw me finish working at 21wks.
    Most days getting out of bed was a struggle.
    Spew bags were stashed everywhere, car, handbag etc cause it wasnt a case of if i was going to vomit it was where.

Many more hospital admissions - the longest 12nights.

Finally induced at 37wks as my kidneys were showing signs of going bad from me being so unwell.
    The instant DD2 was born it all disappeared like magic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would really like another but I don't know if I could go through that again.. Would any of you ladies have/will??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I had HG in all 3 of my pregnancies, my first was the worst. All day vomiting started at 7 weeks, by 20 weeks I had lost 12kg. I was hospitalised repeatedly and had so much time off work because I couldnt get out of bed. To top if off I also had extremely low blood pressure so had a tendency to faint often. The vomiting did not stop until after he was born, I vomited all the way through labour.

DS2 was bad again, with similar weight loss but hospitalizations werent possible because I had a toddler at home and no one to watch him. I had a scare at 32 weeks when I started having contractions 5 mins apart for a couple of hours, I was put on moderate bed rest for a week to see if it stopped and then ordered to take it easy afterwards. The HG stopped at 35-36 weeks I then had a bad fall at 38 weeks and suffered an abruption.

DS3 I was very sick again, vomit bags were a fixture in my car, handbag, pram etc. I was miserable and regretted going for #3, it was just horrendous. However amazingly the HG stopped at 17 weeks! I had an uneventful rest of my pregnancy and for once I got to experience it without all the vomiting and it was just amazing. I'd only start vomiting again when DS3 was being particularly acrobatic in there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one more child and knew I'd get hg. I was more prepared though. Didn't help much, but at least I could prepare. I won't have another though, hg is a part if that decision.