+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What makes unhealthy food so attractive?!

My daughter is 14 months and we're fairly strict on her diet - no added salt and minimal sugar. Whenever I offer her a new fruit or vegetable, she's reluctant to put it in her mouth even if I'm eating it too and smiling and visibly enjoying it. However if I'm eating a Tim tam which she's never seen before and offer her a little bite, she has it in her mouth before I can blink. It has happened with every single new "junk" food that she's tried. But if I'm standing there eating an apple, she won't pester me for a bite.

So do kids have a built in sugar radar or what?! Is there a reason for this? Just something I find interesting and bizarre :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did read something not that long ago as to why kids prefer sweet vegetables and fruit to those that have a bitter taste and it's because anthropologically we're programmed that sweet = ok and bitter = poison.
    Probably not very helpful towards the Tim tam situation but I found it interesting.
    Maybe you look more sincere when you're enjoying your Tim tam over the apple. I know I would be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think its because they want what you have and if unfortunately you ever have something sweet and they taste it , their little smart brains are like um screw the apple I want that biscuit thing you had yesterday!

Some thought I was over the top but I never ate food like that at home in front of DS until he was about. 2 ish and had developed a healthy appreciation for food and could understand that a Tim tam is not a everyday food or as he calls it " party food" ( cause that's when he thinks we are allowed to bring out the chips and bickies!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes!! I always wondered this.. like coke.. ds will say he wants one he has NEVER and wont ever until he is I dunno 22 haha have a coke.. so how does he know he wants it so bad. Its black liquid looks gross.
    Makes sense if he sees other adults enjoy it but he never says he wants a coffee..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Embarrassing bodies show kids special did a segment on it. From memory it's to do with energy requirements ( junk = instant energy gratification )