+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Reading level help

DS has been on the same level all year. I taught kids his age for years and can tell his instructional level is out. I realise that his teacher can't teach all content to his ability but at least giving the right level reader would be easy.

Is there a way I can benchmark him at home to correspond to the PM readers? I used to use their benchmarking kit all the time at work but of course don't have one on hand at home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure about benchmarking at home, but maybe if you pop in and see the teacher or send a note mentioning your concerns , I'm sure (or at least, I would) they'll investigate for you good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katvee For This Useful Post:

Artoday  (07-10-2014),Little Ted  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'd just ask them to assess him and explain that he is breezing through the ones he has.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-05-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Have you spoken to his teacher about your concerns? Or, conversely, has his teacher said anything about having concerns about his progress? I know at our school we tend to give home readers that are a level or two lower than what would be listened to at school so they are set up for success and confidence at home.

I'm pretty sure there's an app that our JP teacher uses to do running records that records/summarizes all the data. That might be a way to benchmark him?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely - his homereaders should be a couple of levels behind what he is reading in class. But I do reading groups with him at school and he picks up the book, reads it, comprehends it. She has even said that the books are too easy for him...but hasn't changed his level and has been on the same one all year.

He hasn't had a homereader in a while as he's read all the ones there and she hasn't got any more but tells him to keep on reminding her to go and get them. I've been really patient all year and don't want to come across the wrong way to her but I really do think it's time I said something again. She seems pushed for time to do it and I wonder if I should offer to do it for her. There's no way I'd put him on a level that is too hard - he'd get turned off right away.

Now it's just trying to find a tactful way of suggesting his level needs to be progressed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP that's appalling. I'd go and see the teacher and ask for more info eg why has he not moved levels in 12 months? It's a teachers job to send home appropriate reading levelled text not necessarily at instructional but 1-2 below that, regardless he should have moved in nearly 1.5 terms and if not then there should be some sort if contact with you to discuss this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we posted at the same time, just saw your update. Just ask her and ask what his benchmarked level is, that he's bored and needs more stimulation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may not be at all the case but DS was on the same level for a while and I went to speak to the teacher as he was breezing through them too. She explained that whilst he was reading them easily he was reading quite monotone and not always comprending the story. After a few weeks of getting him to understand intonation and discussing the stories with him he jumped up a number of levels.

Whatever the case it's definitely worth talking to the teacher.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're all right. I haven't mentioned to her that I used to teach and have been trying not to intervene at all but it has reached a point I need to follow it up more as he's getting bored. She is a lovely person. Wish me luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    This may not be at all the case but DS was on the same level for a while and I went to speak to the teacher as he was breezing through them too. She explained that whilst he was reading them easily he was reading quite monotone and not always comprending the story. After a few weeks of getting him to understand intonation and discussing the stories with him he jumped up a number of levels.

Whatever the case it's definitely worth talking to the teacher.
    His expression is good and comprehends the level that he is reading. The benchmarking usually checks both reading ability and comprehension because just as you said - being able to read the words isn't enough. It's being able to comprehend what has been read also.