Closed Thread
Page 92 of 102 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well what jobs did you have before you had children? Can you go back into that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To a certain extent I think we should encourage people to study before having children.
    it's a lot easier for one and it set you up to a better start financially.

But yes it should be implemented gradually. It's very unfair and cruel to change the rules in the middle of the game.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2maisie View Post
    How does that solve the issue? I need to be able to drop everything the moment the school calls me to go pick up my son. Not many employers are going to be that flexible.

I do actually work but only casually. I'm really not in a position to do anything more. My casual wages aren't going to supplement the loss of ftb anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (24-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    To a certain extent I think we should encourage people to study before having children.
    it's a lot easier for one and it set you up to a better start financially.

But yes it should be implemented gradually. It's very unfair and cruel to change the rules in the middle of the game.
    Society already encourages study whilst young.

I think like most things there isn't a clear cut, one solution fits all. What about someone who falls pregnant young and keeps the baby or a woman raped and keeps the baby? Should they be denied an education at a later date because they didn't have abortions?
    What about careers that become obsolete? People working in such industries may need to upskill to find alternative work. Really, how are they to know they aren't on the right study path when they make these decisions as a teen?
    Financial constraints whilst young may dictate no opportunity to study but with support at a later date, it may be possible.

We shouldn't begrude people who opt to pursue a career through study, no matter what their age. They should be supported so that in turn, they graduate, secure employment, go on to pay taxes for many years and help support the next generation through.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2014),cooper82  (24-05-2014),Daisy Duck  (24-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (24-05-2014),KaraB  (24-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    What about careers that become obsolete? People working in such industries may need to upskill to find alternative work. Really, how are they to know they aren't on the right study path when they make these decisions as a teen?
    Financial constraints whilst young may dictate no opportunity to study but with support at a later date, it may be possible.

We shouldn't begrude people who opt to pursue a career through study, no matter what their age. They should be supported so that in turn, they graduate, secure employment, go on to pay taxes for many years and help support the next generation through.

My career will be obsolete in 2-3yrs time thanks to a new fancy machine. Nevermind the years of study and training I did to get into my field of science.

I'm also a mum to a young family with dh who is always away. Plus I care for my grandparents. Hmmm... Thank heavens I'm over 30!! Well almost.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We want a healthy economy and of course there is always a need for lower skilled jobs. But why not have a mum train as a physio off the top of my head, paying say 25k tax a year than have her return to working at Woolies (and I'm going to be very clear here, there is NOTHING wrong with working at a supermarket) paying 10k tax. For the say 3k a year the govt would pay that woman in FTB to study, which is 12k for a 4 year physio degree, she would pay more than that in tax in the first year.

This is why the libs policies make no sense. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (24-05-2014),KaraB  (24-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (24-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course I can. In fact, I still work in the same job. I'm one of the very lucky people who can work nights, who have flexible hours and considering the industry I work in, have bosses who are incredibly family friendly and who earns a decent amount for what is unskilled work.

But pardon me for having a dream and for wanting to attain it. And since TA has made it abundantly clear that he's going to run the country in line with his morals, I highly doubt he'll let the industry I work in continue if he has his way, so I best sort my sh1t out real fast. I can go back to the work I used to do, where I was a barista but I'd need to retrain. Again. Do you know how much work goes into being a barista? It's a nightmare and it's annoying and tedious. And the hours are not friendly, because they're cafe hours. And the pay is sh1t in comparison. So I could. Or I could go to uni, get my degree and go onto being a lecturer. Who pays a sh1tload more tax than I do now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also think that people who have been unemployed for a while should be subsidized for training/studying towards a job that has employment opportunities.

But that is unrelated to whether you have kids or not.

In my home country all stay at home parents receive the same payment every month. regardless of their resources. It's $185pm for 2 kids and $285 for 3 kids. Until they turn 18yo.

(This is in France)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2014),KaraB  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    I also think that people who have been unemployed for a while should be subsidized for training/studying towards a job that has employment opportunities.

But that is unrelated to whether you have kids or not.
    They already do this regardless of parental status. I went to TAFE with a few people whose fees were coverd by their job network provider. Not sure if the current government has put an end to this? Really wouldn't surprise me though.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-05-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (24-05-2014),KaraB  (24-05-2014)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was out of my last employment for 10 years. So, no, I could not just go back to that job.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (24-05-2014)