Closed Thread
Page 85 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    There is nothing wrong with working at Woolies. I would have much rather worked at Woolies than be stuck on the dole for months. However, getting a job at Woolies is not as simple as just showing up and asking for a job.
    Yep and the majority of people employed at woolies are employed as casuals with no guarantee of work. The moment there is a decline in sales, there is a decline in casual hours.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Yep and the majority of people employed at woolies are employed as casuals with no guarantee of work. The moment there is a decline in sales, there is a decline in casual hours.

I worked at Woolies from 2004-2009 and there was a shift in about 2005 to getting everyone off casual contracts and onto permanent part time contracts. All new staff who started after that time were put on PPT contracts when they started. I'm not sure whether this is still the case (I can't see any reason why they'd go back to casual contracts as it led to rostering problems, especially on weekend nights).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes most people are employed as ppt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I worked at Woolies from 2004-2009 and there was a shift in about 2005 to getting everyone off casual contracts and onto permanent part time contracts. All new staff who started after that time were put on PPT contracts when they started. I'm not sure whether this is still the case (I can't see any reason why they'd go back to casual contracts as it led to rostering problems, especially on weekend nights).
    Yup this is still the case as far as I am aware, I believe coles is the same as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We currently live in the newcastle area. Jobs here are very hard to come by.

We've been here for 18 months and in that time all our jobs we have had have been on a casual basis only with no gaurantee of hours. And being that the mining industry is quiet everywhere else is becoming quiet and casuals are always first to go.

For example DH current job was advertised as full time hours at casual rate. This week he has only had 8 hours work. He refuses to claim newstart as hes never gotten the dole in his life. So this fortnight we rely on approx $1000 for the fortnight. This is his 2 weeks pay and ftb payments.

My previous work background has been both woolies and fitness industry. Ive been trying to gain employment in both continuously for the 18mnths we've been here with no luck. I was management in both fields and now cant even get an entry level position. And I assure you its not thru lack of trying. I have had sydney contacts trying to help me and at 1 particular place literally begged for a start.

Its all well and good to say move but we cant due to family law court orders now. DH has retrained in 2 different feilds still no work from either. I currently study part time at home but thanks to tony abbott am unlikely to gain employment due to his new chapliancy program. Ive wasted 15k on further study in my opinion

Im in a good financial position. Zero debt and savings (going down fast)
    I live very frugal but comfortably. My expensive cars and household items/clothes etc were all obtained and paid for when we had a combined income of 150k.

Lives and situations change and im sorry but some of the opinions here and on other forums just show me the lack of compassion and sensibility of some people. At some point or another most people will utilise some form of charity/welfare/benefits.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-05-2014),beebs  (22-05-2014),Busy-Bee  (22-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (22-05-2014),LotusMum  (22-05-2014),Mokeybear  (22-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry no I'm not attacking people working at woolies at all, (I was one!) just that I think it's silly to tell people to move for any job - they need to create jobs not just tell people to just move. Also moving for lower paying jobs is usually not worth it- Moving interstate is expensive, and with states such as Vic, WA, QLD and NSW becoming exceptionally expensive to live in (and getting worse) it wouldn't be feasible for a lot of people.

Yes working at woolies is of course better than the dole and nothing to be ashamed of at all, but you wouldn't move across the country for it.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 22-05-2014 at 16:47.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),Busy-Bee  (22-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (22-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I've worked there since 2009. Whilst working in a capital city more people were offered PPT, definitely not the majority though. It was usually around 12 hours a week as well so that wasn't good enough for those having to satisfy the 15 hour/wk minimum requirement set by centrelink. I moved regionally and the only way I could keep my job was to take a casual position. Most people here are employeed as casuals unless you are related to or are a good friend of a manager.
    Coles is slightly better in that they have to offer their casuals a minimum of 6 hours per week, so at least there is some guaranteed work.

At the end of the day, there is no one solution to everyone's employment woes. Some people will secure permanent positions that fit around family commitments but the reality is many won't.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2maisie View Post
    Yes most people are employed as ppt.
    If I could screen shot my stores roster, it would quickly disprove your theory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to interrupt, but has anyone heard of people receiving texts from their GPs saying they're waiving the $7 fee for bulk billed patients? I read this on another forum and thought that would be wonderful if you could find out which ones do,
    for those who struggle to come up with the fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPink View Post
    Sorry to interrupt, but has anyone heard of people receiving texts from their GPs saying they're waiving the $7 fee for bulk billed patients? I read this on another forum and thought that would be wonderful if you could find out which ones do,
    for those who struggle to come up with the fee.
    No, but I've heard gp visits have already declined and some surgeries have sent text messages out saying the copayment hasn't come in yet.