Closed Thread
Page 82 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Bc Abbott is a religious zealot who values religious people with a 6 month TAFE certificate more than qualified sw's and psychologists who have 4 year degrees with oodles of on the job placement experience before they even get their degree.

Makes me furious!!!
    I cannot understand how this was/is not laughed out of parliament! Seriously.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),KaraB  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think I agree with this cut especially for 2 parent families where one parent doesn't work/works part time. When your kids are in school then you can make use of before and after school care and work.
    ?
    VP. My 2&4 yo just about cope with 3 days of daycare 6.15am-5pm. There is no way I could put them in 5 days a week. They are not sickly kids, or have any sort of disability. But they genuinely cannot cope with more days esp my 4yo. She needs 2-3hrs nap a day to be happy and now barely gets 1-2hrs at daycare.

Not all kids cope with full time d/c or school with OSHC. I agree with FTB being cut off for those earning 100k + but not everyone.

I just thank God that I dont have to make the choice between food on the table or kids mental health. I cannot believe you think it's acceptable for all kids to be in FT care throughout school.

Btw what about high school. Currently it's illegal to leave your 12yo at home alone but there are no OSHC for high schoolers in yr 7&8.

What do you do then?

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),btmacxxx  (22-05-2014),just her chameleon  (22-05-2014),KaraB  (22-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It seems free uni education runs in the family. I know it's a 'scholarship' but I question how above board this was, and whether she would have received a full scholarship had her father not had relationship with the boss of this uni.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...le-scholarship

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It seems free uni education runs in the family. I know it's a 'scholarship' but I question how above board this was, and whether she would have received a full scholarship had her father not had relationship with the boss of this uni.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...le-scholarship
    And it was most likely taken away from a student who would be unable to afford the fees without it. (That is what scholarships are for aren't they?)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),KaraB  (22-05-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    And it was most likely taken away from a student who would be unable to afford the fees without it. (That is what scholarships are for aren't they?)
    From what I've read they don't give out scholarships all the time. It seems like a one off thing to me.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I predict that many people are going to weigh things up and decide against uni.

Why train at uni for 4 years to do say social work, to get out earning 40-50k and be paying a huge loan off at $150+ a fortnight for the rest of their working lives? People will think scr*w that, minus the HECS repayments I might as well work retail, save the huge debt and all those years of lost income and hard work at uni.

We are going to have a nation of low and semi skilled workers
    That's pretty much where I am, right down to doing a bachelor in social work. I just don't know now

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    About this no new start thing, as a young person I'm incredibly happy. I work as a supervisor at a coles store while I study and see many people my age continue to enjoy free money without a single attempt at getting a job in the past couple years since finishing school.
    My partner works full time as a cook and brings in little more than many others our age who don't work or study.

Many people our age have been brought up with the idea that money is free. Their parents and grandparents had government aide due to their low income status but they want expect a full wage.

"In the six months applicants for Newstart and Youth Allowance do not receive income support, they will be required to undertake government-funded job seeking programs.

Newstart applicants will receive one month of income support for every year they worked before applying for the dole and exceptions to the six months of no income support include parents, young people unable to work more than 30 hours a week, part-time apprentices and Disability Employment Service clients.

People who refuse jobs will also be penalised with their income payments withdrawn." (http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...yment-benefits)

I see this as being very fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about those who are stuck where they live, don't have the finances to move but also don't have any job opportunities where they live? Shouldn't they be able to receive some support?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Family daycare, shift work, or just not work/work part time if that is what they want, but cut costs so they don't need FTB b?
    My dad was a farmer who also drove a stock truck until all hours of the night, he had part share in the farm but unable to sell or be bought out. We rented a crappy little farmhouse to keep expenses as low as possible. We attended the local school and caught the bus while my mum volunteered at the school and other things in the small community and the one night a week the pub kitchen was open she worked there until late, every Saturday night. To get better employment would have meant traveling almost an hour each way to a bigger town, and she still would have to be home by 3.30 to pick up kids off the bus. No family day care, no shift work closer than that.

My parents easily would have been under the $100,000. I'm not so fased by dropping that income limit even though we sit at around $90000 so that could cut us off in the future, but I don't agree that anyone with a 6 year old should be working full time and relying on child care.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they could prove their case was a real issue and not just the issue of laziness (as it is 90% of the time) then I believe exceptions should be made.
    To be fair though I think Australia's welfare system is far to generous. If you are unemployed you should be given the bare minimum to scrape buy on. It's not fair that without working you can have a new phone, nice new tv and a decent car when many people working have almost no disposable income and struggle to live.