Closed Thread
Page 81 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I don't think that it's sustainable to have a system where only the most privileged can afford to go. How will the jobs requiring higher education be filled? If the cost of uni is going to put people off, what is the alternative to training the next generations of teachers, nurses, docotors, pharmacists, arts.. no, ok I can't keep a straight face on that one

But how will that work?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),KaraB  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Who works 7-5:30 5 days per week? Eeekk!
    A lot of office workers do, or 8-6-6.30. Actually it's often frowned upon to only work your 8.30-5pm in office jobs. They are often working longer than theo old 8 hrs a day (in private that is). I found in government people have no problem leaving at 4-5pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Genuinely:
    Where are these jobs coming from?

Where are the care placements coming from? I think you might remember the absolute hell I had putting my boys into care a couple of years ago. It's no better.

What is the motivation for mothers to give up time with kids for a pay that the majority of will go to daycare fees?
    That's fine if that's a call they make, but then I don't think it's fair for them to get paid by the Government to stay home when their healthy 6+ year old is at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I don't think that it's sustainable to have a system where only the most privileged can afford to go. How will the jobs requiring higher education be filled? If the cost of uni is going to put people off, what is the alternative to training the next generations of teachers, nurses, docotors, pharmacists, arts.. no, ok I can't keep a straight face on that one

But how will that work?

Thats right, they will have no choice ( even arts grads ) o it won't just be the most privileged going, it will be everyone who wants that particular career, deferring their HELP payments, then feeling the sting of the debts later when they're wanting to start families, buy property etc.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Who works 7-5:30 5 days per week? Eeekk!
    DF leaves for work at 6:15 am and doesn't get home until 5:15pm (sometimes later). If something happened and I couldn't look after the kids and they had to go to CC and OOSC around DF's working hours he would have to be waiting at the door at 6am of CC so he could make it to work on time.

If I were working in a 'proper job' (I work from home) then the kids would be in CC and/or OOSC from 6:30 to 5/5:30 every day.

Another pearler from the LNP's budget

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...520-38mnf.html

Key point: If a school wants funding to provide students with youth welfare worker the person has to be a chaplain - no funding for secular youth welfare workers from this budget.

Last week's budget delivered a double blow to youth welfare worker Joanne Homsi. For the past 18 months, Ms Homsi has worked in two high schools in the St George and Sutherland area, supporting students with drug and alcohol issues, low confidence, family problems and suicidal thoughts.

As well as talking with students, she has connected them to mental health centres, remedial learning programs and other services.
    Ms Homsi loves the job, and the schools value her work. But in December she will be looking for a new job - and there will not be a safety net to catch her if she cannot find one. Because she is under 30, she would have to wait six months before she can receive any unemployment benefits under tough new rules for young job seekers.

Ms Homsi's three-days-a-week position was funded by the federal government's National School Chaplaincy and Student Welfare Program. The government is continuing the program, at a cost of $245 million over five years, but will remove the option for schools to hire a non-religious welfare worker.

The 623 schools that made this choice will have to hire a chaplain or go without. "I'm very saddened and concerned about the change to the program," she said.
    School chaplains have a role to play, but not everywhere, she said. She noted St George is a multicultural area where Catholics, Anglicans, Muslims, Buddhists, Greek Orthodox and non-religious students study together. "These schools had a choice between a chaplain or a youth worker and they chose to have a youth worker," she said.
    "I've been available to everyone regardless of their religion or culture. I've provided students with a non-judgmental approach to very sensitive issues and that has been beneficial to everyone."

And people wonder why atheists and secularists get so angry.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),LaDiDah  (22-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (22-05-2014),wrena  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I predict that many people are going to weigh things up and decide against uni.

Why train at uni for 4 years to do say social work, to get out earning 40-50k and be paying a huge loan off at $150+ a fortnight for the rest of their working lives? People will think scr*w that, minus the HECS repayments I might as well work retail, save the huge debt and all those years of lost income and hard work at uni.

We are going to have a nation of low and semi skilled workers

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (22-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (22-05-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    That's fine if that's a call they make, but then I don't think it's fair for them to get paid by the Government to stay home when their healthy 6+ year old is at school.
    Surely another idea would be better... perhaps asking recipients with their youngest child being over 6 to volunteer somewhere for x amount of hours a week to keep the payment? I don't know, just the first idea that came to mind, positive there would be issues with it... I just have a few issues with trying to get parents into the already crowded workforce and placing more burden on the child care industry.

Perhaps some wise investment dollars should be budgeted for the CC industry, if this is the way the libs want the nation to go? Because I just feel like it will all bust apart a few years down the track.

Could. NOT. pay me to work in CC. With their measley wages working with other people's snotty kids? Nuh-uh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Key point: If a school wants funding to provide students with youth welfare worker the person has to be a chaplain - no funding for secular youth welfare workers from this budget.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    i asked this very question earlier in this thread - I was almost joking in a way, but to actually read that makes my blood boil. What possible reason could they have for only allowing religious welfare workers?? Discusted!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),KaraB  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    i asked this very question earlier in this thread - I was almost joking in a way, but to actually read that makes my blood boil. What possible reason could they have for only allowing religious welfare workers?? Discusted!!!
    Bc Abbott is a religious zealot who values religious people with a 6 month TAFE certificate more than qualified sw's and psychologists who have 4 year degrees with oodles of on the job placement experience before they even get their degree.

Makes me furious!!!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (22-05-2014),Ellewood  (22-05-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (22-05-2014),TheGooch  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    DF leaves for work at 6:15 am and doesn't get home until 5:15pm (sometimes later). If something happened and I couldn't look after the kids and they had to go to CC and OOSC around DF's working hours he would have to be waiting at the door at 6am of CC so he could make it to work on time.

If I were working in a 'proper job' (I work from home) then the kids would be in CC and/or OOSC from 6:30 to 5/5:30 every day.

Another pearler from the LNP's budget

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...520-38mnf.html

And people wonder why atheists and secularists get so angry.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
    This disturbs me so much