Closed Thread
Page 65 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you can do it why can't others? Others do . That situation is not unique to you.
    However it's too simplistic and ignorant to suggest that because one has, or you have that everyone else can. I could list many reasons why others can't (family violence springs to mind for starters) but something tells me it won't make a difference.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-05-2014),Gothel  (17-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I see where you are coming from but it's the same thing to say "I have fully BF my baby till 2yo, I was out and about 5 days after the birth and my house was always spotless. If I can do it why others can't".

I'm obviously pushing the analogy very far and I'm not saying you would say this but you see what I mean?
    People are just that, people. With different capabilities, different objectives, different background, different needs, different upbringing etc etc etc
    I think we should as a country foster this differences and give everyone a leg up. Not a push down

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-05-2014),beebs  (19-05-2014),ChickyBee  (17-05-2014),FrothyFrog  (17-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I grew up in a really disadvantaged housing commission area in one of the worst suburbs in Sydney. I don't live there anymore but I have worked there for the last 10 years to try and help others. To say just because I went to uni and got a degree then everyone else from there should be able to as well is a little obtuse!

How strange to say that others may be jealous?
    Last edited by BigRedV; 17-05-2014 at 06:36.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-05-2014),Ellewood  (17-05-2014),Gothel  (17-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (17-05-2014),IndigoJ  (17-05-2014),Mokeybear  (17-05-2014),Purple Lily  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I grew up middle class, had opportunities, went to private schools, went to Uni, did well and I'm now doing a postgrad. DH's background is very similar. I haven't relied on benefits before (touch wood).

Yet I can see exactly why cutting benefits is going to stuff people over, and I am outraged about it. Not everybody has the capacity to work or study. This policy completely dismisses the fact that there are so many variables - as PP said family violence, abuse, substance abuse, health and mental health problems to name just a few. These things can make it impossible to make a living or study. And instead of helping people improve their situations, they are going to be cut off from perhaps the only financial support they have. At the same time, they implement the Medicare co-pay, so now these people can't or will struggle to access proper healthcare and support. The
    Liberals cut jobs, cut funding so future jobs are not created, forcing people to stay in work until 70 reduces the amount of jobs becoming available, and work is almost always contract, casual, part-time thanks to the libs, which allows employers to get rid of people easily and often for ridiculous reasons. I know this, because it has happened to me. And young people are the easiest for these crappy businesses to take advantage of. The libs also want to raise the cost of education which will put it out of reach for many people. Their policies are an attack on the small people and it's absolutely unbelievable. Disadvantaged people are going to suffer the most.

How can young people possibly get ahead? It's already hard to find good work with good stable working conditions, even for those that have been at Uni or TAFE. Someone that's been cut off from welfare from a disadvantaged background, with no family support, is going to suffer terribly. It's a shameful and dreadful policy, and I can't believe anyone could possibly support it. What is the country coming too

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-05-2014),beebs  (19-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (17-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (17-05-2014),KitiK  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummytomy2boys View Post
    I'm sorry I find it hard to understand why anyone would rely on others ( when I say others that includes the government). The only person you can rely on is yourself. Work hard, always have a plan B and an ace up your sleeve. If there's no jobs where you are move, I have.

How exactly? With no licence and minimal public transport moving would've seen me worse off mentally and emotionally when I was unemployed.

Its not always a case or work hard / you're to lazy love, I was deemed too 'old' at 19, 19 ffs and mcdonalds, kfc, woolworths and coles wouldn't even give me an interview despite having completed my hsc, 15 year olds are cheaper yet when I did work experience it was said I was a good worker, the kind of person they'd love to employ (they didn't)

When I finally got work at 21 I accepted 10.50 an hour 8am-4pm no breaks because that was better than the depressive feeling of not knowing if I could afford to eat that fortnight

I will be encouraging my boys to get employed as soon as they can cos having your hsc doesn't mean a damned thing in the real world .
    This is exactly what I found. I had a bad fear of driving (plus driving lessons are expensive) so had no licence and no public transport, made it very hard to get a job or move. When school finishes the job market gets competitive very quickly. Even though I finished high school with top marks in very practical subjects like retail & hospitality as well as work history through high school from labor intensive jobs (cash in hand) to unpaid work experience, I couldn't even get a job at a local fruit shop. I suspect it was that after many knockbacks my lack of confidence was very obvious.

Many of the jobs I wanted to apply for were strictly for indigenous applicants or required experience. Honestly, go online & look at seek & see what jobs you could apply for as a 17 year old school leaver with no transport, then remember how many school leavers will also be applying for that job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just read this & it's a bit scary...

"Minister for Social Services Kevin Andrews points out that the six months embargo on payments will be reduced by one month for every year a person has been employed before they became unemployed.
    But there are anomalies. A 28-year-old parent, the sole breadwinner, who becomes unemployed would not qualify for an exemption, as his or her partner would be considered the carer of their children."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz31uxdb1mb

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I know hard work = success.
    I'm sure the exploited workers in poorer countries love to hear this as clearly they must not work very hard. Hard work does not = success. That is incredibly simplistic. Success has many variables. It can take hard work, opportunity, privilege and often a big does fo luck. And then sometimes it takes very little for success. There are people in this world it is simply given to.

Maybe jealously that I've broken the cycle?
    No. I assure you that I am definitely not jealous of you. I just disagree with much of what you have said on this topic.

I'm sorry I find it hard to understand why anyone would rely on others ( when I say others that includes the government). The only person you can rely on is yourself. Work hard, always have a plan B and an ace up your sleeve. If there's no jobs where you are move, I have.
    I know I lack empathy, but that's based from my own personal experience. I'm not a pollie who has sat in my ivory tower my entire life. If I can do it why can't others? Start from the ground up. Who really wants that life anyway? It doesn't have to be that way.
    Lack of empathy is precisely why you don't understand. Just because you were able to do something, does not mean others can too. It all comes down to the different variables in each individual's life.

I also moved to improve my life as a single parent. Jobs are sill scarce and it has created a number of problems in other areas. Life is not simple.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (17-05-2014),beebs  (19-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),Gothel  (17-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (17-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (17-05-2014),KaraB  (17-05-2014),Lottiemum  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (17-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (17-05-2014),Purple Lily  (17-05-2014),snowqu33n  (17-05-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm sure the exploited workers in poorer countries love to hear this as clearly they must not work very hard. Hard work does not = success. That is incredibly simplistic. Success has many variables. It can take hard work, opportunity, privilege and often a big does fo luck. And then sometimes it takes very little for success. There are people in this world it is simply given
    Thankyou! I am so sick of reading this!! Hard work is important for sure, but it doesn't guarantee success. We read all over the hub of people working their butts off just to put food on the table.

Are we really going to criticise them and say they mustn't have worked enough? What a load of cr@p!

I didn't work hard through school. I partied. And I graduated as Dux of my school. I didn't work hard through TAFE. I partied. I graduated as Dux of my course. And I didn't work at Uni but made the Dean's list every semester. I wouldn't say I deserve the well-paying, stable career I have entered, based on my choices as a teenager and young adult, even though I work incredibly hard now.

The equation is just NOT 'work hard for success', nor is it 'if you can't get ahead, it's the result of your own poor choices and failures'. This attitude makes me so cross.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (17-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),KaraB  (17-05-2014),Lottiemum  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (17-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (17-05-2014),Purple Lily  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poochella View Post
    Just read this & it's a bit scary...

"Minister for Social Services Kevin Andrews points out that the six months embargo on payments will be reduced by one month for every year a person has been employed before they became unemployed.
    But there are anomalies. A 28-year-old parent, the sole breadwinner, who becomes unemployed would not qualify for an exemption, as his or her partner would be considered the carer of their children."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz31uxdb1mb
    That is truly terrifying! So many thing wrong with this!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I know hard work = success.
    I genuinely high-five you for your determination and strength that you displayed to enable you to study and succeed. However, I am going to re-post the picture below for something to consider. Whilst it might be an extreme example it is nevertheless still very applicable in Australia to many, many hard working people.

Attachment 54669

I know I lack empathy, but that's based from my own personal experience. I'm not a pollie who has sat in my ivory tower my entire life. If I can do it why can't others? Start from the ground up. Who really wants that life anyway? It doesn't have to be that way.
    I usually don't like to refer to anecdotes but here goes...
    My brother worked for a builders' union for 20+ years, mostly in administration capacity and conducting training courses on construction site safety (he is a qualified builder). He quit because of mental health issues the job was giving him (in his words "he went mad" - but he says that in good humour). He was on a disability payment for a while and then got a job as a delivery driver through a scheme that subsidises employers for employing long term unemployed people. As soon as the subsidy ran out he no longer had a job. The thing is that his employer had diddled his superannuation (and that of other employees) so my brother dobbed him in to the tax office who are taking a great interest in this employer. This left him with no references. My brother is extremely hard working and takes an enormous amount of pride in his work. He is probably the most honest, trustworthy person I've ever known. He busks sometimes and the family joke is that he probably declares the few dollars he earns busking to the tax office. However, at 57 he is now finding seeking gainful employment incredibly difficult because he hasn't got a reference. Hard work, integrity, qualifications, etc does not immediately equate to earning a living/gainful employment. He and his wife are well established in their community, own their own home and have a strong social network. He lives in a large city as well, why should he have to move? What would that achieve?

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-05-2014),beebs  (19-05-2014),BettyW  (17-05-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (17-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (17-05-2014),KaraB  (17-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-05-2014)