Closed Thread
Page 64 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I see what you are saying, but it still leaves too many people who are doing the right thing in a perilous situation. What about companies that go bust and everyone loses their jobs? There are too many variable situations why someone might not be working.

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    It's not very fair on those that find themselves in unfortunate circumstances however I am wondering if they are trying to use it as a deterrent. I know many people who quit their jobs just because they couldnt be bothered and it was easier on the dole.
    let's face it jrn wages aren't that great the dole offers almost the same but it's "free" money. It may make someone think twice before throwing in the towel because they can't be bothered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    @Sonja yes she is helping, she is not raising your daughter.

I think leaving the work "helping" out of the sentence makes a world of difference
    But in the case of someone having a child 50 hours a week? I think it actually diminishes the role the grandparents play in that scenario.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It is not easier on the dole. It's horrible on the dole.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),poochella  (17-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (17-05-2014),TheGooch  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney1980 View Post
    Off topic but they do not 'raise' their grand kids while the parents are working. The parents are raising their children, while working full time.
    I'm not sure how to read your comment and whether or not it is meant to convey a certain tone or not as it is hard to convey tone in text so I will just reply to the content. I hope you are referring to the grandparent's comments and not mine, as it was implied in the text that they were her words. I think a better choice of words from her had she'd known she was going to be quoted for all to assess would have been that she was helping to raise/look after them while her children worked, but that is not what she said as it was in general conversation and I understood what she meant within the context. And still...the parents were fortunate to have her and we don't have to crucify her over the phrase she used!

I know when I was growing up I was partially raised by my grandparents due to parental illness and work commitments and I find nothing shameful in that and I loved them dearly and had a better relationship with them than my own mother. This wouldn't always be the case, but just what happened in mine. I doubt that my mother would be offended if someone implied that my grandparents helped to raise her children because that is what happened.

As parents we make decisions about who has an influence and care over our children during the time they are raised from infancy, however if our children are in the care of others for a large part of their waking hours those people could be considered to be helping to raise that child. I think it comes down to what a person thinks it is to raise a child and that's okay. I have no problem saying that my children's child care workers and teachers are helping me to raise my children as they all spend such a large portion of time with them, teaching them and have a certain level of influence in their lives.

Edit: Took me so long to respond in between working on my assignment that others already replied in the same manner...oh well...back to work.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 16-05-2014 at 22:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's not very fair on those that find themselves in unfortunate circumstances however I am wondering if they are trying to use it as a deterrent. I know many people who quit their jobs just because they couldnt be bothered and it was easier on the dole.
    let's face it jrn wages aren't that great the dole offers almost the same but it's "free" money. It may make someone think twice before throwing in the towel because they can't be bothered.
    A genuine question. Have you ever lived on the dole (without FTB or kids) solely, for a sustained period?

Look, I'm all for the country wanting it citizens to reach their potential and contribute where they can. But you seem to have a limited understanding how crap the pay is. What does just over $500 a fortnight get you these days? We live in the country when rent is dirt cheap in comparison to the capital cities and we pay 500 a fortnight. In the city that would be lucky to get you a bedsitter, let alone pay for power, food, petrol and phone to look for work.

If this free money is so good, and being on the dole just involves sitting on your rear end, why don't you trade places with one of these people for a week?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-05-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (17-05-2014),Lottiemum  (19-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014),poochella  (17-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney1980 View Post
    Off topic but they do not 'raise' their grand kids while the parents are working. The parents are raising their children, while working full time.
    I don't know if that's always the case.. My Aunty looks after her grandkid more than the mum (my cousin) does. She does school drop off and pick up, has the kid overnight a couple of nights per week while my cousin has work trips. On the other school nights my cousin doesn't pick her kid up until about 8pm (after my Aunty has done the dinner/bath routine).

In this case I would say my Aunty is raising her grandkid while her precious daughter is putting another feather in precious high flying career cap.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Statements like this upset me, because in every single position for every company, and job, or any recipient of anything in the whole world, there will be people who are not doing the right thing.

However despite some people not doing the right thing some of the time, there are people who are doing the right thing all of the time. Punishing people because of the actions of a few makes no sense.

Often there are just no jobs there to be had, or they require training that people can't afford etc.

We cannot leave people without a safety net and no way of eating and living, because someone might do the wrong thing.

The rhetoric seems to be they need to incentivise people. They needed to push sole parents on to Newstart to incentivise them to work, - when the majority are already working.
    They need to stop giving people disability pensions to incentivise them to work, despite the fact that many do work when they can, and many people with clear acute disabilities cannot get a disability pension.
    THey need to incentivise young people to work, even though most will give almost anything a go, and there just aren't enough jobs, and making them desperate will put them in terrible situations where they will be taken advantage of etc
    They need to incentivise older adults to work, despite many people discriminating against them due to age, and again most people wanting to work.

They have eroded workers rights over and where companies used to have lots of permenant employees - places like target and K mart have mostly casual and part timers, keeping people on benifits for longer as their hours are cut in slow times and they don't get holidays/sick pay/ holidays- this leaves them vulnerable.

Therre are lots of issues that stop people from getting employment.

I think assuming people need a push to do so is ridiculous. I've known some very poor people, I do know that none of them wanted to be poor, and would take the opportunity when given to further themselves, and be able to pay the rent and buy food.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-05-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (17-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014),Purple Lily  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I see what you are saying, but it still leaves too many people who are doing the right thing in a perilous situation. What about companies that go bust and everyone loses their jobs? There are too many variable situations why someone might not be working.
    That's why it's unfair on those in unfortunate situations

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A genuine question. Have you ever lived on the dole (without FTB or kids) solely, for a sustained period?

Look, I'm all for the country wanting it citizens to reach their potential and contribute where they can. But you seem to have a limited understanding how crap the pay is. What does just over $500 a fortnight get you these days? We live in the country when rent is dirt cheap in comparison to the capital cities and we pay 500 a fortnight. In the city that would be lucky to get you a bedsitter, let alone pay for power, food, petrol and phone to look for work.

If this free money is so good, and being on the dole just involves sitting on your rear end, why don't you trade places with one of these people for a week?
    Firstly minimum wage for an 18 year old according to fair work is $11.18ph or just under 45 hrs in the fortnight to equal the $500 dole rate you quoted. To a lazy 18 year old or someone who can only get pt you can see how it's more attractive to be on the dole!

Secondly, I've been a poor uni student who lived on less than that, at the time the dole actually paid more than youth allowance ( not sure if that's the same now). I couldn't be bothered with cl as I was casual it was too hard to predict what my income would be and the few months I did claim i ended up owing. so I ended up begging work to put me pt ( still less than the dole payment) How did I survive? I lived with 4 others in a run down shack, I tried to scheduled classes on the same day to avoid extra transport costs. I used text books from the library and brought 2nd hand. I cooked from scratch simple cheap ( but healthy meals). I went to the free clinic at uni, got my hair cut by student hair dressers, bought 2nd hand or Kmart etc. It was a few YEARS of pain but I am ambitious and knew I did not want to follow in my families footsteps.
    I've walked the walk so I have a right to talk the talk. I grew up in an extremely poor single parent house hold solely reliant on handouts, I knew I did not want that to continue. It also allowed me an incite into the minds of my fellow classmates as I was in a low socio economic area, I know how they think, and still keep in contact with many.

I know hard work = success. I got a job as soon as I was old enough earning $4 an hour. I spent most of my life doing it tough and it's only in the past few years I've benefited from my hard work.
    I'm not talking out of my **** here I'm talking from genuine life experience.
    I don't know why you continue to try and discredit me. Maybe jealously that I've broken the cycle?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Maybe jealously that I've broken the cycle?
    I also grew up dirt poor and I'm doing my second degree, hardly jealous I also did it mighty tough at uni, I also worked 30 hours a week around my final year of uni of my first course... need we one up each other? It's kind of silly.

I'm not discrediting you, I'm simply asking you to look outside the box here. You see, IMO, everything so one dimensionally.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-05-2014),Gothel  (17-05-2014),IndigoJ  (16-05-2014),Lottiemum  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (17-05-2014),Mokeybear  (17-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (17-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (17-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I also grew up dirt poor and I'm doing my second degree, hardly jealous I also did it mighty tough at uni, I also worked 30 hours a week around my final year of uni of my first course... need we one up each other? It's kind of silly.

I'm not discrediting you, I'm simply asking you to look outside the box here. You see, IMO, everything so one dimensionally.
    I'm sorry I find it hard to understand why anyone would rely on others ( when I say others that includes the government). The only person you can rely on is yourself. Work hard, always have a plan B and an ace up your sleeve. If there's no jobs where you are move, I have.
    I know I lack empathy, but that's based from my own personal experience. I'm not a pollie who has sat in my ivory tower my entire life. If I can do it why can't others? Start from the ground up. Who really wants that life anyway? It doesn't have to be that way.

Based on the background you described you've obviously relied on yourself too.

We obviously are not going to sway each other's opinions on this matter.

For the record I don't hold grudges and get involved in clicks. We don't agree here but maybe we might on different topics. I certainly do not let a difference of opinion sway me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (17-05-2014)