Closed Thread
Page 61 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    See, I totally agree that young people should be earning or learning. If kids under 25 aren't employed they should be in some kind of education. The government will support young people so long as they are earning or learning. Sounds fair.
    I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this, however, the fact remains that there will always be young people, who for what ever reasons are unemployed and have little prospect of any sort of light at the end of the tunnel. To not provide some sort of support to these people will effectively cut off any glimmer of hope that they have for securing gainful employment or study and ensure that they remain in the underclass for most likely the rest of their lives.

For capitalism to work there must be a level of unemployment - you can't just punish people for eternity because they are unemployed which is what this policy will most likely do to many people.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    [QUOTE=Acadaca;7778171]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    I just can't believe the pollies are talking about this in terms in a middie of beer or a couple of coffees. It's horrifying to think of the impact the changes to the dole eligibility for young people will have.

See, I totally agree that young people should be earning or learning. If kids under 25 aren't employed they should be in some kind of education. The government will support young people so long as they are earning or learning. Sounds fair.
    And what's to say they aren't seeking employment? The rising unemployment rate will inevitably make it more difficult for job seekers to secure employment.
    What if they don't have the financial means or academic ability to study? It's not always a clear cut situation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think most young people want the same, and I agree they should. But to study, they need to realistically be financially able, and in terms of work, there needs to be jobs available.

What I find really concerning is that young people who have gained work, have worked, if they lose their job why should they have to then suffer for that for six months? It only puts more pressure on parents really, and puts young people in a state of dependency on others. We should be helping/allowing young people to be and maintain independence! And why is 30 the cut-off? How is a 29 year-old less deserving when they lose their job than a 31 year-old? It's just a really bad policy move on so many levels.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2014),Busy-Bee  (16-05-2014),KaraB  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with that yes they should be earning or learning all the time but no income for half of the year is just insane.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=Acadaca;7778171]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post

Which raises the question - why 25? Why is 26 ok?

But I do totally get what you're saying. My issue is that 'learning' in the higher education sense doesn't suit everyone. Have you ever tried to teach a class of teenagers since the leaving age was raised to 16 (as it has been in SA?) who have a learning style that doesn't suit the traditional high school model? Or tried to teach a young Aboriginal boy who adores horses and all he wants is to work on the land, and cannot see at all what relevance Anglo-centric academic education systems have to his life goals? TAFE is supposedly more vocational than university, but still has a lecture/tutorial/assignment/exam methodology for many of its components.

Perhaps if 'learning' were broadened to the Government pouring funding into apprenticeships and learn-on-the-job kind of scenarios then there would be hope.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-05-2014),beebs  (16-05-2014),btmacxxx  (16-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (16-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I am under 25 and not "earning or learning". I wouldn't refer to myself as a kid.. I have 2 of those myself.

I had planned to study and work when my youngest starts preschool/school. Now I'm wondering if I will just be stuck in a low skilled, low paying job.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I'd consider getting a second opinion on the antibiotics. My DD was born at 30 weeks weighing 860 grams. She was given antibiotics at birth. They are commonly given to prems.
    He was a 29 weeker, he was born with blood poisoning so he had heaps of antibiotics. He is now 6 months actual. And they say he has hBronchiolitis so drugs wot fix it. He has seen two different ER doctors and two doctors at the me centre. They just keep telling me that he will get over it he wheezes like crazy. We go again in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    ok so we want this adults to be learning of earning.

Ok if John Jones losses his job today and he needs to find a approved course that he can afford (let's face most are not cheap and a lot aren't covered by hecs).
    Ok he found a course now but it doesn't start for 4 mths. or even if it dose start sooner he has to be approved to start it. This too can take weeks/months.
    So in the mean time who pays his rent because like a lot of people he is on a 12mth contract or his mortgage. How does he feed himself.

Seriously this is a real worry to me as John Jones could be my dd.

What if John is like my d's with learning difficulties and would struggled to get approved to do a course.

There are so many reasons why this is a bad idea.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford to run 2 households on what I get now. After the new cuts to ftb and rising medical bills I will be struggling to just run one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (16-05-2014),KaraB  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    ok so we want this adults to be learning of earning.

Ok if John Jones losses his job today and he needs to find a approved course that he can afford (let's face most are not cheap and a lot aren't covered by hecs).
    Ok he found a course now but it doesn't start for 4 mths. or even if it dose start sooner he has to be approved to start it. This too can take weeks/months.
    So in the mean time who pays his rent because like a lot of people he is on a 12mth contract or his mortgage. How does he feed himself.

Seriously this is a real worry to me as John Jones could be my dd.

What if John is like my d's with learning difficulties and would struggled to get approved to do a course.

There are so many reasons why this is a bad idea.

I don't know about you guys but I can't afford to run 2 households on what I get now. After the new cuts to ftb and rising medical bills I will be struggling to just run one.

Just out of curiosity, did you vote libs?

I seem to remember a while ago you said you are a liberal voter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you vote libs?

I seem to remember a while ago you said you are a liberal voter.
    No I didn't this time.
    I normally would have as I have always be a liberal voter.
    I don't think most liberal voters or ex lib voters support this budget.