Closed Thread
Page 44 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    @BigRedV I'm not picking on you in particular, but I have seen a number of people say they aren't expecting the fuel levy to affect them too much. I am very concerned that it will have far reaching affects on the price of pretty much everything in Australia, particularly food as we have such a reliance on road transportation and will affect people so much more than they realise.

As a single parent on a low income I am terrified by this prospect. I have lost FTB B, half my FTB supps for part A , and the education bonus (not specific to this budget, as it was going anyway). I estimate I will be about $6k per annum worse from losing that alone before taking into account the fuel excise and increased medical costs. Granted they all aren't coming into affect straight away, but I will need to either cut my expenses from an already tight budget or work out how get a better paying job, and with a special needs child who takes up a lot of my time that is easier said than done.
    It will definitely impact my husband. Currently he's travelling 60 km to and from work (so 120 a day) However, he is self employed and runs his own company, so can claim fuel costs through his bas.

Will definitely be a domino effect with groceries etc. but we are fortunate enough to earn good money (well my husband does anyway) so any big bills that come in are paid off quickly. Currently we've got so many bills and we are still trying to recover after going overseas for 3 weeks and my husband doesn't get paid for time off. We have savings but I get nervous using it, but that's what it's there for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im in favor of that tax on fuel. I believe we are still not paying the right price on fuel.

Now they need to support better public transports so that people can leave their cars at home.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Im in favor of that tax on fuel. I believe we are still not paying the right price on fuel.

Now they need to support better public transports so that people can leave their cars at home.
    You think we need to pay more for fuel? Considering diesel is currently more expensive then petrol but is cheaper to manufacture I reckon the price needs to come down.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (15-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (15-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I hope they invest in public transport. I think it will only be for the larger cities though. there is a big problem for people in rural towns where there is no or very very little public transport.

For example I live in a larger rural town. I could not get to work on public transport where I live so I have to drive. I am no where near close enough to walk to work.The fuel hike is going to hurt dh and I and unfortunately we don't have another option.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (15-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree we're not paying the right price, but in the other direction.

I don't actually have any knowledge of how it's priced, I'm just a car user who is trying to cope with rising fuel costs.

As for public transport, I would love if it was more supported. We do have public transport where I live but it doesn't flow (hope that makes sense!)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are far from paying the real price - considering the impact on the environment.

"A fuel tax stimulates a more efficient use of oil: this is good for the planet and for almost everyone else, except oil exporters maybe. It encourages carmakers to develop and sell low-carbon technologies. It helps boost the share of public transport, walking and cycling, including the emerging use of e-bikes, and even electric cars."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

What planet are you on? Not paying enough...in honestly gobsmacked that someone actually thinks that

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (16-05-2014),KaraB  (15-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (15-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (14-05-2014),Purple Lily  (14-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (14-05-2014),VicPark  (14-05-2014),Wally90  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am a big supporter of public transport too, but I live regional - there just is no public transport, so I feel raising fuel is punishing all of us who don't live in cities and don't have a choice!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (14-05-2014),delirium  (14-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (15-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (15-05-2014),poochella  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    What planet are you on? Not paying enough...in honestly gobsmacked that someone actually thinks that
    its ok - yes there are different schools of thought out there
    given the level of pollution Australia has yes I believe something need to be done for this country to start moving away from the fuel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Makes me glad that we just bought an electric vehicle!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyblu11 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (14-05-2014),MilkingMaid  (15-05-2014)