Closed Thread
Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Of course they won't be. They'll all jack up their prices to similar to each other. It's like seeing a dr now. One could argue drs would try to compete for business by charging less for a visit, and thus people pay a smaller gap. Yet all drs charge around $75-80 for a visit with only 35 back.

I disagree the best lecturers go overseas.

What we will see is university education become a business where they will get the same lecturers and pocket the proceeds. People will pay their uni fees until they die. If the govt had put min wage up to 80k a year then it would be worth it. They haven't. And it will be the most important trades, like social work, teaching, nursing that pay pretty crap, where no one will want to do them anymore. Why do a SW degree, at 120k to be paid 40-50k a year? You can't say well that's only 3-4 years of working. People don't get a job and put their entire income on their HECS! people have to live.

The only people benefiting from this budget are the wealthy, business and the Americans where we will buy more obsolete aircraft for billions of dollars.
    You can add journalists to that list, my pay is pathetic for obtaining agree plus an additional four year course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No way..... Really??
    When I started (when we rode dinosaurs to school) I actually received a low income tax rebate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No way..... Really??
    No that's not the case anymore. It's more around the $70-75 mark (less in a boutique of course). That's straight out of uni.

I think looking at salary straight out of uni is crazy though. Combined, my DH and I earn about 2/2.5 what we did after uni/travel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    My real concern about the university fees is that universities may go the way of many hospitals and no longer offer certain degrees because they are unpopular (due to economics only). DD1 is passionate about the environment and if she stays that way she wants to do a degree in zoology or environmental sciences. She'll probably never make much money though but these degrees could be quite expensive.

So do I tell her no you can't do what you want to do as the fees are too expensive? What an extremely sad state we will live in if people only choose certain jobs because of their earning potential.

I still remember the 70s when my parents went to uni for no other reason than because they were curious (they are both linguists). Those times are definitely dead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    No that's not the case anymore. It's more around the $70-75 mark (less in a boutique of course). That's straight out of uni.

I think looking at salary straight out of uni is crazy though. Combined, my DH and I earn about 2/2.5 what we did after uni/travel.
    Small firms pay way less than that.
    Anyway sorry to hijack.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Small firms pay way less than that.
    Anyway sorry to hijack.
    My starting salary as a lawyer was $45k about 5 years ago in a mid tier firm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    We won't have no doctors. Instead, we will have the best doctors who are trained by the best in the world, because the university can now afford to pay for the best professors in the world, instead of the brain drain that currently happens (the best academics get their PhDs and move to America to get paid better).
    Slightly off topic, but a lot of academics that move overseas don't do it for higher pay, but because there just aren't suitable jobs here and we'd rather work in a country that genuinely recognises the value of research, science and innovation and is willing to invest in these.
    Australian culture as a whole isn't very academically friendly, those with PhDs are often seen as elitist snobs who are wasting good money on "pointless" research in their "ivory towers".

There's not much point paying professors high salaries if there isn't funding for the actual research and the best students can't afford to stay on and work in postgrad degrees.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),BettyW  (14-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (14-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read this & I am truly scared to think what will happen to school leavers & young unemployed. The fact that people will have no income for six months is so scary. NOTHING. It either means they will be a burden on others or be homeless, possibly turning to crime.

When I graduated year 12 I was not living at home, I had to live with my boyfriends parents who could not afford to support me. I did not go to schoolies but instead I got a retail traineeship straight away but it put me in very dangerous situations everyday. My boss was a dirty old perve & it was in a bad area. I had to walk to & from work in the dark where I was threatened multiple times, so I left within my 30 day trial period. Back then it was ok to leave in the trial period & keep your unemployment benefits. Once everyone was back from schoolies the jobs to apply for were few & far between. If that was me next year, I would have to keep working there whilst looking for a new job.

Tax payers will have to pay the bill for all the petty (and serious) crime clogging up our legal system, people will be at the very least stealing the basics to live. It will put a huge burden on charities like Salvo's and Vinnies. How can you get a job if you don't have a car or can't afford the rego? I swear I'm missing something, they can't honestly do this can they?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to poochella For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (15-05-2014),Mokeybear  (14-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (14-05-2014),VicPark  (14-05-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I just picked up my uncle from the airport. He is ok with the budget but was unhappy they didn't drop the minimum wage.

???

I tried to point out that his own daughters in uni would be effected and health etc but he was unperturbed. He said he invested enough money years ago to fund their uni now and they could therefore fund their own health after they graduate.

???

He was genuinely pleased. I'm completely baffled.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Did u leave him at the side of the road? I woulda

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Did u leave him at the side of the road? I woulda
    Haha. No I didn't as he had my duty free purchases. Needed my MAC and gin first.

I think I was just flabbergasted.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (14-05-2014)