Closed Thread
Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 981
  1. #361
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    432
    Thanked
    3,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Those with medicine degrees are paid accordingly- an average GP earns between $150,000 and $300,000 and a specialist $175-$350,000. Hence, the degrees have extremely high academic marks- people are clamouring to get into medicine degrees. I would fully expect a medicine degree from Sydney or Melbourne university to cost $200,000 with these changes. The graduate will earn that within 2 years.

    Science degrees have slightly lower academic marks- usually an 80 or so ATAR- and starting salaries are around $80,000.

    They can't get enough people into nursing- the ATARs are typically lower, and nurses are sadly, paid accordingly, because there is low demand to work in those positions.

    We won't have no doctors. Instead, we will have the best doctors who are trained by the best in the world, because the university can now afford to pay for the best professors in the world, instead of the brain drain that currently happens (the best academics get their PhDs and move to America to get paid better).
    We will have the best doctors in the world.

    That no one can afford to go to.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

    *Cj*  (16-05-2014),beebs  (14-05-2014),Cardi  (14-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (14-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (14-05-2014),Mokeybear  (14-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (14-05-2014),snowqu33n  (14-05-2014),VicPark  (14-05-2014)

  3. #362
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Mr Abbott also spoke on Sunrise, saying he accepted that “millions and millions of Australians are doing it tough right now”.
    “I want to lighten their load, not make it worse.

    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1226916941876

  4. #363
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,668
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,570
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Those with medicine degrees are paid accordingly- an average GP earns between $150,000 and $300,000 and a specialist $175-$350,000. Hence, the degrees have extremely high academic marks- people are clamouring to get into medicine degrees. I would fully expect a medicine degree from Sydney or Melbourne university to cost $200,000 with these changes. The graduate will earn that within 2 years.

    Science degrees have slightly lower academic marks- usually an 80 or so ATAR- and starting salaries are around $80,000.

    They can't get enough people into nursing- the ATARs are typically lower, and nurses are sadly, paid accordingly, because there is low demand to work in those positions.

    We won't have no doctors. Instead, we will have the best doctors who are trained by the best in the world, because the university can now afford to pay for the best professors in the world, instead of the brain drain that currently happens (the best academics get their PhDs and move to America to get paid better).
    What about vets? Their degrees cost the same as drs but even with 10 years experience under my belt in a highly paid sector I still only get $85k. New grads are lucky to get $45k.

  5. #364
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    682
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked
    379
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only 2 that have really got me is the $7 doctor one and the uni one. Not because I can't afford the $7 but because if hat it means for us as a country. We will never again have free healthcare.

    The uni one because now instead of being able to our my kids through private schooling for high school we will be having to start college funds for them instead. Same as if we were in America.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (14-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (14-05-2014),VicPark  (14-05-2014)

  7. #365
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    965
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    234
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm mainly sad that we will now pay around $80 to see a gp instead of the $73 we normally pay. I wouldn't mind so much if we only had to pay $7. 😔 everything adds up petrol prices increasing wages don't seem to be. Well not for us anyway

  8. #366
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked
    557
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    We will have the best doctors in the world.

    That no one can afford to go to.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The co-payment is totally unrelated to this though. (And not something that I fully support. I don't think those with disabilities, chronic diseases, concessions, the elderly or single parents should have to pay it. I think everyone else should).
    @amyd Veterinary school, I imagine, is competitive because so many people grow up wanting to be vets. The salary might not reflect the expense taken to get the degree. Im not sure. I just think people want to be vets, which makes it competitive.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-05-2014)

  10. #367
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    682
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked
    379
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And to be fair to tony Abbott I'm not sure he is the one we need to be mad at. The reason we as a country are in this spot is because of the previous governments. Guessing a fair number of you voted lib in knowing there would be cuts and because labour stuffed us up.

    It really was a lose/lose election last time around but I still maintain Libs were the lesser of 2 evils.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

    Sharlee32  (14-05-2014)

  12. #368
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    If the market is more competitive, then some degrees will be cheaper.
    Of course they won't be. They'll all jack up their prices to similar to each other. It's like seeing a dr now. One could argue drs would try to compete for business by charging less for a visit, and thus people pay a smaller gap. Yet all drs charge around $75-80 for a visit with only 35 back.

    I disagree the best lecturers go overseas.

    What we will see is university education become a business where they will get the same lecturers and pocket the proceeds. People will pay their uni fees until they die. If the govt had put min wage up to 80k a year then it would be worth it. They haven't. And it will be the most important trades, like social work, teaching, nursing that pay pretty crap, where no one will want to do them anymore. Why do a SW degree, at 120k to be paid 40-50k a year? You can't say well that's only 3-4 years of working. People don't get a job and put their entire income on their HECS! people have to live.

    The only people benefiting from this budget are the wealthy, business and the Americans where we will buy more obsolete aircraft for billions of dollars.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-05-2014)

  14. #369
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    302
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    And to be fair to tony Abbott I'm not sure he is the one we need to be mad at. The reason we as a country are in this spot is because of the previous governments. Guessing a fair number of you voted lib in knowing there would be cuts and because labour stuffed us up.

    It really was a lose/lose election last time around but I still maintain Libs were the lesser of 2 evils.
    Can you explain to me how labor did that?


    You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moltone For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (14-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (14-05-2014)

  16. #370
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My DH and I are both lawyers and the starting salary is around $30k from memory.
    No way..... Really??


 

Similar Threads

  1. What does the budget mean for you
    By loislane2010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 24-05-2014, 14:49
  2. The Budget?
    By Ellewood in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 19:44
  3. How do you budget?
    By IvyRain in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 29-04-2014, 19:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Cots on Bubhub
Looking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery shops
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!