Closed Thread
Page 34 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @maternidade I think its fair to be unhappy about the way this government has chosen to spend (waste) our money whilst still realizing that we are overly lucky to live here.
    Here or in any OCDE country.

Your argument isn't one. It's not because there are people/countries worse off that we can't tend and want to make it better here.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (14-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I give up, bubhub has it in for me today LOL

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by peanutmonkey; 14-05-2014 at 12:55.

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Call me unpatriotic but I lack empathy for Australians, yes it's a tough budget but we have SO many opportunities here, many just choose not to follow. There are literally millions of people in the world that would love to be here even under the proposed changes.
    Wake up and realise that despite the proposed changes we still have so much more than the majority of the world. Yes some other countries do it better but MANY do it a lot worse and don't offer anything. Put it in a real world perspective, or are you all being too selfish and bitter to realise what's going on outside your own bubble.
    Stones in glass houses ...
    You're right, we are very lucky and privileged to live in Australia (well, most of us). The problem is that the attitude your post displays is a bit like saying my new husband is so much better than my exhusband because the new husband only beats me once a week whereas my exhusband beat me twice a week.

The fact remains that if one of the main objectives of a government is to maximise and optimise the economic and social situation for the greatest number of residents then this budget falls short. What the LNP government are doing is getting the pain of their electoral term over in the beginning in the expectation that voters will forget by the time the next election comes around.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),snowqu33n  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Every government in recent times have tried and failed in welfare reforms. People won't change unless they are forced to.
    My cousin last night ( who's under 25) put up a post last night about being fck with new changes. I asked why and their response was "well IF I loose my job I won't have income".
    They're in a very stable job that the only way they'll loose it is if they broke the law or quit.
    That's not hard to not quit or not break the law.

It's this attitude that needs to change,
    Yeah, my DP is a hard-working man. He also had a "stable job". Then in 1 week the company he worked for went from 30 employees down to 8! He was made retrenched because they couldn't afford to keep all 30 people because work had dried up. She has every right to worry about the possibility of losing her job, it doesnt always mean she has broken the law or quit.

Since then, we never see any job as "stable", you can easily lose your job tomorrow without warning . It's becoming quite common and probably will even more so now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    You're right, we are very lucky and privileged to live in Australia (well, most of us). The problem is that the attitude your post displays is a bit like saying my new husband is so much better than my exhusband because the new husband only beats me once a week whereas my exhusband beat me twice a week.
    This is the analogy I was going to make.

And yes - it's because we're so lucky that we should be budgeting to intake more refugees safely and equitably, not spending billions in other countries on sh!tty detention centres.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (14-05-2014),maternidade  (14-05-2014),Skippy79  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Sorry not wanting to be argumentative but define 'stable job'.

I know now a number of people who were in so-called very stable jobs who have been made redundant in the last year. I have a friend who works in HR/payroll who has done nothing but redundancies the last year at her work, they have laid off so many skilled and professional employees who have found it very difficult to regain work. And I know others who work in government - traditionally very stable - who have seen stacks if redundancies there too. They replace them with casuals or contract staff. There's no such thing as stable work anymore.
    Yep, exactly this Fleetwood. AS I said just before, we learned the hard way and will never see a wage-paying job any better than a casual or contract work, because you can be made redundant tomorrow without warning. It's quite scary how common it is now too. DP has been applying for multiple jobs every day since being made redundant the 2nd time in 2 years, 3 months ago and so far has picked up a saturdays casual job & 6 weeks worth of full time work for his old boss!(who made him redundant the first time 2 years ago) You bet his *** he took the 6 weeks! But, we'll be right back to looking for work when the work is finished in a few weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have actually been worrying all day about this new budget.... it terrifies me. I tried not to go through this thread because I knew it would make it worse. How do we overturn this government? Ill bet the people who voted abbott are regretting it now. Glad to say I wasn't one of the people who set this in motion.

mother to a beautiful baby boy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamermummy For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (14-05-2014),PipersMummy  (16-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, so just leading on from my previous post.

I did the budgetting and at its very simplest, I based it on a four year bachelor. Being as we're going the way of the US, I based it on how much they are per year which is about 50k at the lower end. So 200000 for a bachelor. So to start DD off with a good life where she wont be financially screwed and has the option of uni, in 20 years to send her we will need to save almost $500 per fortnight to pay for it. We have ONE kid. Just one.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014),Lauzy  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    One of my biggest pet hates is when someone pulls the old "we're so lucky to live here, so many have it worse, stop complaining" rubbish. Of course there is always someone worse off. And no one is saying that they would rather go live in a 3rd world country. But people have absolutely every right to be worried about how they are going to feed and clothe their children, and to better their lives. Stop comparing the two.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (16-05-2014),Anjalee  (14-05-2014),beebs  (14-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (14-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014),Lauzy  (14-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (15-05-2014),WorkingClassMum  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Sharlee - you say I'm making assumptions about you. You are doing exactly the same thing of others. The difference is, I'm actually basing my assumptions on what you are saying, which reveals a great deal. And you didn't answer my question. If I know a few people on good incomes that do squat to get it, should I brand everyone on a good income as lazy jerks?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (14-05-2014),WorkingClassMum  (14-05-2014)