Closed Thread
Page 28 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misscheviuz View Post
    I just want to cry. I am so scared about what the future holds for my family after seeing this budget.
    There is nothing we can do to avoid possibly becoming homeless, anything we try will be affected.
    I'm really really scared :'(

*** "Daddy, toast, hat" ***

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

ThePancakeDrawer  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    The HECS/HELP threshold at which you have to pay back your debt has only been lowered by $671. People who are worried about paying it back sooner- that equates to you needing to earn $13 less a week than you did previously to pay it back. I really don't think a salary of $50, 638 p/a vs $51, 309 means anything at all.

Disclaimer: I have a HUGE HECS debt and currently earn $48,000 p/a.
    Actually the threshold for 2014/15 is $53,345 so it's actually a pretty large backwards step - I will be tipped over that threshold now

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

bubbajah  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I just don't under how effectively privatising uni is going to save money? Can someone explain it to me? All that will happen is that the govt will have double the debt with HECS for everyone.
    More interest from HECS debts?

Ensure the working class can't afford to get better education and ensure we have a poorer working class to make our commodities cheaper for exports?

Ensure that only the wealthy who can afford good education to get the better paying jobs stay wealthy? (ie their kids)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Does this new budget impact on anyone's family planning? dh and I always wanted 3 kids... But I want them all to be able to go to university and I feel like it will be SO expensive when the time comes.. Maybe we are better off sticking with the two we have
    Yes. We fully intended having a 4th child within the next few years. I feel like that is no longer an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I sort of agree... Some people luck or fluke it into the highest paid positions. And many hard workers through pure circumstance are stuck in a lower income life....

But come on.... You have to admit that there is some connection between working and studying hard in your young days and higher incomes. When I was at highschool plenty of kids spent their time partying, stuffing around with their mates and not doing much school work at all. They got retail jobs (if any job at all) after highschool. Fast forward to now. Hell yeah most if them are atill stuck in lower income jobs and hell yeah those of us at school that pulled our finger out and studied/went onto further education (whether uni, tafe, a trade) generally live in the middle to higher income worlds. It's not always the case, but quite often it is a case of reaping what you sew.
    Yeah, I went to Uni and did 2 degrees in 4 years, I work my **** off in my job and get 80k. My job involves helping others and making the world a better place. I don't think I work 100k less than a person on 180k. There's more luck to have a successful business/position than there is working harder than everyone else.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I just don't under how effectively privatising uni is going to save money? Can someone explain it to me? All that will happen is that the govt will have double the debt with HECS for everyone.
    Why should it save money? It's not necessarily the objective.

The budget is actually reallocation budget spend from one item to another. They are not saving money as such.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (14-05-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sign this petition on change.org

Force a double dissolution of Australian parliament.

The Liberal National Party has breached their Contract with Australia as outlined in their Real Solutions Plan that was their platform for the 2013 Federal Election held on September 7 2013. Without a clear mandate, the current Australian Federal Parliament needs to be dissolved by double dissolution and another election held so that a new parliament can be formed.

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petition...deserve-better
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 14-05-2014 at 10:51.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),BornToBe  (14-05-2014),Lauzy  (14-05-2014),Purple Lily  (14-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-05-2014),ThePancakeDrawer  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's this medical research fund about exactly?? Hmm why do I get the feeling the government wants access to everybody's medical records?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (17-05-2014),Tattereds  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I add my budget woes/government complaints?
    Cuts to science funding!!
    DP and I are both doing postgrad research degrees (in solar energy and atmospheric science respectively. Areas the government is obviously super enthusiastic about!) and rely entirely on government scholarships and funding, so cuts to CSIRO and ANSTO and other scientific organisations, and adding fees to research degrees is pretty bad.
    Doing research is essentially a full time job, we're technically students but we publish papers and produce meaningful output. Grad students are the ones in the labs testing thousands of chemicals for medicinal properties, or doing the experiments to develop new technologies.
    Most of us get paid less than minimum wage, but we've happily put up with being poor for 7-8 years because we believe that what we do is pretty damn important. It sucks that so many people (especially the ones in power) devalue science
    But hey, at least we'll still be eligible for FTB since it'll be a long time before we earn over $100k!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),BettyW  (14-05-2014),Dreamer1  (15-05-2014),Renn  (14-05-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So if you have hecs debt from a degree thats finished already what happens with that? I think we have about $2 grand left to pay on it