Closed Thread
Page 26 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post

Also when does Centre link kick in the 'age 30 new start'.

Does thst mean even for carers etc. I think we will be opening a business. Back to school back school.

This article states that carers and parents will be exempt from the new newstart conditions:

Some jobless under-30s will be exempt from the tough new scheme, including those unable to work more than 30 hours a week, carers and parents, part-time apprentices and Disability Employment Service clients.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Oh I am not so stressed then. Seriously, who really gets to pay there hecs anyway. I know one person out of all my friends.
    This is why there is debt!! Because people go do a degree and never pay it off.

As soon as I graduated uni and started working I was earning above the hecs repayment threshold.

As for the whole removal of bulkbilling - it's not the monetary value that's been imposed that I care about, it's the fact that universal healthcare has been removed. Let's just slowly turn into America......

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),Gracie's Mum  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014)

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Who the **** privatises the Mint ffs! This government is the worst we have ever had.
    No I think had the worst government now we all have to pay the price

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The HECS/HELP threshold at which you have to pay back your debt has only been lowered by $671. People who are worried about paying it back sooner- that equates to you needing to earn $13 less a week than you did previously to pay it back. I really don't think a salary of $50, 638 p/a vs $51, 309 means anything at all.

Disclaimer: I have a HUGE HECS debt and currently earn $48,000 p/a.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    So well said! It ****es me of when people earning in the top 2% of earners think they got there because they worked harder than the rest of us! Hahaha. It's so self indulgent. There is a lot if luck in being in a high earning positions. There is not necessarily any extra work or sacrifice being done.
    I sort of agree... Some people luck or fluke it into the highest paid positions. And many hard workers through pure circumstance are stuck in a lower income life....

But come on.... You have to admit that there is some connection between working and studying hard in your young days and higher incomes. When I was at highschool plenty of kids spent their time partying, stuffing around with their mates and not doing much school work at all. They got retail jobs (if any job at all) after highschool. Fast forward to now. Hell yeah most if them are atill stuck in lower income jobs and hell yeah those of us at school that pulled our finger out and studied/went onto further education (whether uni, tafe, a trade) generally live in the middle to higher income worlds. It's not always the case, but quite often it is a case of reaping what you sew.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (17-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014),PrincessPud  (14-05-2014),Skippy79  (15-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gee whizz, I haven't had a thorough look at the budget yet or this thread but I do know it has lived up to its expectations. Actually this is the first budget in my life that's going to force me to re-think my decisions going forward, like it isn't hard enough as a SP

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do fear what this budget might mean for us personally. I am a single parent, I worked damn hard of full time work and part time study for 8 yrs to get to where I am now- middle income. Not high income by any stretch of the imagination- but not low income. At the moment- we squeeze by, but just.

I have epilepsy. My medication costs me $72 per month- without it, I am unable to have a license. To get this script- I obviously need to go to the dr several times a year. I know the $7 co-payment is not much but add that onto the proposed increase in medication, the scrapping of the FTB Part B and I'm looking at a possible $2K out of pocket per year (including the booster payment for single income families). And that's just scratching the surface- I haven't taken into consideration the increase in the HELP interest, other medical needs or other budget impacts.

It is a little scary for me in my personal situation.

Then there's the wider community and the impact that has. Mostly, I fear for all those people that are suddenly not going to be taking much needed medication. It wont just affect their quality of life- but the safety and well being of the wider community. The retirement age etc etc
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 14-05-2014 at 07:52.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I sort of agree... Some people luck or fluke it into the highest paid positions. And many hard workers through pure circumstance are stuck in a lower income life....

But come on.... You have to admit that there is some connection between working and studying hard in your young days and higher incomes. When I was at highschool plenty of kids spent their time partying, stuffing around with their mates and not doing much school work at all. They got retail jobs (if any job at all) after highschool. Fast forward to now. Hell yeah most if them are atill stuck in lower income jobs and hell yeah those of us at school that pulled our finger out and studied/went onto further education (whether uni, tafe, a trade) generally live in the middle to higher income worlds. It's not always the case, but quite often it is a case of reaping what you sew.
    Those of us that pulled their fingers out...

You are still forgetting that the people you are talking about had choices. The choice to party or work or study.

I am stuck in a crappy job.. And not cause I chose to party...
    I didn't get a choice.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still need to spend some more time looking at the implications of this for me but I already know it's going to hit me hard. My DS has frequent medical appts and prescription costs. I'm a SP studying full time so any changes to Uni will make an impact.
    Can someone explain the changes to the HECS interest rates or anyone have a good link for it?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbajah For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The University fees part is pretty scary. It now feels pretty important that I get my masters finished by the end of next year. More important than working more and earning a higher income at this point (and studying less). Earning more at this point just means I'll be paying more HECS/HELP and studying less... Need to re-think that.

Will this make Uni more like the American system? Geez, and to think Uni education for my parents was FREE! Not to mention they got a good professional job straight out of a 3 year undergraduate.... That's unheard of now.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-05-2014),bubbajah  (14-05-2014),KaraB  (14-05-2014)