+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wonder if the twin thing has slowed mine down. They are just not motivated to do things like other babies as they have hot each other!

i got told off centred play was the most important, but like you found the physio a waste of time lol. Every time we would do it their was teArs all round. I made spent a lot of time trying to get them on their knees kneeling while playing too and had more success with this. In the end t2 started to crawl after hubby put her on all fours and pretty much forced her limbs into crawling motions. Obviously something just clicked. Still no luck with t1.

It's such a frustrating time, hang in there and hope you get right answers or reassurance from the pead. Keep me posted, I'd love yo know what he thinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks duck07. Great to hear from another twin parent. I don't want to make excuses for them but I'm so sure that having one another is the 'problem'. Unfortunately I haven't found health nurses or physios have particular knowledge of whether this might be a factor with multiples. I look fwd to hearing what paed has to say.

This morning I was working in the paddock and the girls were on a picnic rug for nearly 3 hours happily playing with their toys together! They just don't seem to need anything more!

I'm actually finding that it's affecting my time with them recently because I always feel like I should be pushing them to do specific play or putting them on tummies etc. I feel so bad when I'm just letting them do what they enjoy

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, an update from me, this is still an issue and it's driving me crazy! I've seen two paediatricians who both tell me the girls are still within normal range. Every other area is developing normally, but the movement is really no better. They can't get themselves up to sit, are nowhere near crawling or walking.

They are 12 1/2 months now. I'm at the stage of avoiding baby catch ups because I'm sick of people asking about them moving! All day I don't enjoy their play time because I feel like I should be working at the movement, but nothing I do seems to help. I don't want to make them miserable by pushing this.

Any more words of advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    When do the drs want to review them?
    No real advice only try not let it bother you and steal your joy of spending time with them. Gently encourage but dont push and never mind what others say, that the drs have said its ok should be enough to satisfy them. I know how that feels.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 14 months and he has only just learnt to roll. He used to just lie down on his tummy or back and scream. Due to this from about 9 months we used to sit him up on the floor propped up and he would sit happily (for a while anyway) but if he flopped over he'd just scream until we put him back. He had absolutely no intention of doing it himself. One day he started bum shuffling. He's still not walking and only learnt about a month ago to roll.
    Do they sit if you prop them up eg with a pillow if so just try that for a while and they may take off.
    We live rurally too and if you ask me you've got the better end of the stick. I could only dream of being in the paddock and turning around to see ds still on a rug where I left him! Normally he's in a mud puddle!!!!

Sent from my MB526 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Raylin Park For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD has had tons of physio because of her medical condition so I can tell you some of the things the physio did to get her moving. She's crawled late etc.. Is 19 months and cruising on furniture but not walking unaided.
    I know you live rural so finding therapists is hard.
    Some exercises we did. . Of course is physio showed you these it would be better!
    - tummy time but put a rolled up towel under the tummy area and help Bub bend legs and hold chest up with arms and roll back and forth. You can do this over your leg actually (my DD hated this by the way)
    - on the tummy assist Bub by pushing both legs up under the torso and put a toy out of reach. When Bub reaches for toy push that reciprocal leg forward like a crawling motion.

Are they commando crawling at all?
    Also. .. Just because they don't move yet doesn't mean there are delays in the future etc. Did the paed say anything about their muscle tone or anything?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We only did limited tummy time with ds as he had a really damaged stomach lining from CMPI and it hurt him and caused him to throw up (sometimes blood). Also because of the sore tummy he never rolled. He did sit up unassisted at 7 months (me propping him up) which helped a great deal with strengthening muscle tone.

He literally went from sitting to walking at 12 months and kind of missed the whole crawling and rolling thing. We used to put things like the tv remote or his favourite toy just out of his reach and he would kind of shuffle along on his bum to get it so he didn't have to lie on his stomach. I used to worry so much about his development as well because he missed out on lots of tummy time and his slightly flat head was embarrassing at mothers groups but once he started sitting and cruising around the furniture his flat head went and there was no stopping him. He caught up really quickly.

My advice is don't compare them to others. Just keep challenging them with toys etc... As your paed said, 12 and a half months is still well within normal development levels so try not to stress.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies. You're really helping me on a day when I've felt so frustrated and defeated. In answer to some questions...

They both sit beautifully and lean for toys out of reach so sitting isn't a problem. They haven't bum shuffled at all to get to things or commando crawled. If they topple over when reaching they just flip onto their back and lay there, either upset or happy, depending on how they feel. They don't roll towards things, only flip from front to back.

The paeds assure me that muscle tone is fine. They jump in jolly jumper and push backwards in a walker with both feet at once.

All other development is miles ahead ( i think because they have so much time for fine motor skills, understanding language etc while they're not moving) so their little brains must be fine!

They do have big heads and took a while to get neck control so I'm guessing that this has slowed down moving. Tummy time was really hard for them as they couldn't lift heads for a long time. They were also 5 weeks prem so perhaps the corrected age of 11 months is more the age that the paed is using...but they are the size of an average 12 1/2 month old.

We are seeing paed again in two months. She isn't actually seeing us about this, but I keep asking about it!

I'd love them to use arms more to push up from laying to sitting at least but don't know how to encourage this. Any ideas?

It's so frustrating! I'd be happy if I saw little bits of progress but it seems to be at a stand still. I just don't know how much to push things, how much time to spend on it each day, and how much to just relax and let them play.

Last edited by NAT2561; 15-07-2014 at 10:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would let them go at their own pace mostly, maybe focus on trying new things 2 or 3 times a week. Mostly for your own sense of peace.
    Sounds like they will be just fine.
    Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

NAT2561  (15-07-2014)