+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @purplelily My DS is the same age and we just had his ST formal assessment today. We had a play assessment a fortnight ago. I'm doing a care plan through the GP. The first 2 sessions are expensive $250 and $140. You get 5 sessions per year, 2 of these are used up with the assessments so he will have 3 sessions left, but because he is Aboriginal we can get an extra 5 sessions so that kind of makes the expense of the assessments worth it. DS's assessment came back at severe expressive language delay (2%) so I know where you're coming from. He will be having fortnightly sessions.

These are most important things I have learnt in this journey
    .follow your child's lead, don't force your play style on him copy what he does instead and describe what you are doing
    . wait for him to take his turn - this can be really hard. It doesn't have to be a word it can be a gesture. If he uses a gesture give him a word. If he uses 1 word give him 2.
    . learn some simple signs from Auslan and teach them to him. Things like eat, drink, finished and more are great starting ones. Just use them every time you say them and he will start using them too. It does help

As for daycare my DS started in January and goes 2 days a week. It hasn't helped a great deal with his speech but has really improved his attention span and also the way he interacts with others. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more with someone in the same boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't read all the replies but I just wanted to add - could you ask to get reassessed at the community speech place?my friend had a ds who kept getting assessed and advised "mild delay" and seemed like kept getting put to the end of the list. Eventually she demanded they see him again as there were behavioural issues starting to Show, he was going to be attending school within a year, and they still hadn't had therapy. Once she cracked it, they saw him and he is now in community speech therapy and in prep. The other thing is, have you seen a paed? I was seeing one with my ds anyway for allergy issues when our speech issues arose. She was really good to see to go back to every 6 months as I would get myself into a state with worry and she could give me more info about what was normal at each stage. The other thing I did was apply to a few different council speech places - one place had a huge waiting list and I got in somewhere else in the meantime. Can you apply to another place for review? My son is now 3yrs 2 months and we have seen huge improvement in the last year - he's still behind and some days that's all I focus on, and then I remember how far he's come. Huge hugs though, it's so stressful - I went to mothers group only last week and nearly burst into tears hearing some of the other children speak. I picked up a book at an op shop once, it's kind of become my bible - Dr Sally ward "baby talk' - it talks about half an hour a day of distraction free one on one time with your child. The milestones freak me out a little but overall it's helpful and interesting. The speechie mentioned "hanen - it takes 2 to talk" when I wanted more reading around how to help. What state are you in? I found having a paed really helpful. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    @purplelily My DS is the same age and we just had his ST formal assessment today. We had a play assessment a fortnight ago. I'm doing a care plan through the GP. The first 2 sessions are expensive $250 and $140. You get 5 sessions per year, 2 of these are used up with the assessments so he will have 3 sessions left, but because he is Aboriginal we can get an extra 5 sessions so that kind of makes the expense of the assessments worth it. DS's assessment came back at severe expressive language delay (2%) so I know where you're coming from. He will be having fortnightly sessions.

These are most important things I have learnt in this journey
    .follow your child's lead, don't force your play style on him copy what he does instead and describe what you are doing
    . wait for him to take his turn - this can be really hard. It doesn't have to be a word it can be a gesture. If he uses a gesture give him a word. If he uses 1 word give him 2.
    . learn some simple signs from Auslan and teach them to him. Things like eat, drink, finished and more are great starting ones. Just use them every time you say them and he will start using them too. It does help

As for daycare my DS started in January and goes 2 days a week. It hasn't helped a great deal with his speech but has really improved his attention span and also the way he interacts with others. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more with someone in the same boat.
    Thanks for your reply! We went through our gp for a care plan but he had no idea what we were talking about and we left frustrated with a referall to a speech therapist :/

Thank you for your tips that's really helpful I find he does respond better if I'm not cramping his learning/playing style so will definitely follow his lead more. I think we do need to work on his attention span because it is so short.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (14-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by veggiemama View Post
    Sorry I haven't read all the replies but I just wanted to add - could you ask to get reassessed at the community speech place?my friend had a ds who kept getting assessed and advised "mild delay" and seemed like kept getting put to the end of the list. Eventually she demanded they see him again as there were behavioural issues starting to Show, he was going to be attending school within a year, and they still hadn't had therapy. Once she cracked it, they saw him and he is now in community speech therapy and in prep. The other thing is, have you seen a paed? I was seeing one with my ds anyway for allergy issues when our speech issues arose. She was really good to see to go back to every 6 months as I would get myself into a state with worry and she could give me more info about what was normal at each stage. The other thing I did was apply to a few different council speech places - one place had a huge waiting list and I got in somewhere else in the meantime. Can you apply to another place for review? My son is now 3yrs 2 months and we have seen huge improvement in the last year - he's still behind and some days that's all I focus on, and then I remember how far he's come. Huge hugs though, it's so stressful - I went to mothers group only last week and nearly burst into tears hearing some of the other children speak. I picked up a book at an op shop once, it's kind of become my bible - Dr Sally ward "baby talk' - it talks about half an hour a day of distraction free one on one time with your child. The milestones freak me out a little but overall it's helpful and interesting. The speechie mentioned "hanen - it takes 2 to talk" when I wanted more reading around how to help. What state are you in? I found having a paed really helpful. Xx
    Thank you for replying! I never thought to ask about reassessing him. When he first went they said that once his name is on the list he is literally a number waiting to come up so I wonder if we can move up or if that is really it. He will be 3.5 years old once his name comes up..possibly more

When we got the assessmemt done we did get a referall for the paeds at the public hospital but still haven't heard back. I think it takes at least 6 months to hear back from them but I'm going to call them anyway and see how far off we are. In our area there is only 4 speech therapy places other than the public hospital so that is making it a bit difficult to find help.

He's such a smart boy, he remembers and understands a lot, he knows all his body parts so I try and focus on what he is good at and silently panic about his speech lol I feel sad when we go to the park and I hear kids much younger than him chatting away and I just so badly want that to be him. My 20 month old nephew is talking really well and it really does make me tear up and breaks my heart that ds has to face this

Thank you for telling me about those books I will definitely be looking into them. We are in the NT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

veggiemama  (14-05-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Thanks for your reply! We went through our gp for a care plan but he had no idea what we were talking about and we left frustrated with a referall to a speech therapist :/

Thank you for your tips that's really helpful I find he does respond better if I'm not cramping his learning/playing style so will definitely follow his lead more. I think we do need to work on his attention span because it is so short.
    Can you see another GP? This is what happened to me - our usual GP had no idea what we were talking about and just put a brick wall up. I went to a different GP and presto - things happened!

I know how painful it is to watch other children of similar age chat freely and your own child says nothing. It was so disheartening to pick up DS from childcare and the other children would be telling their mothers about their day and my child couldn't even say "Mumma"

If it's any consolation for you DS didn't start ST until he was just turned 3. He was also periodically assessed for ASD as he had a handful of traits. We also held him back from starting school so he had time for his speech to catch up (and his birthday is 2 weeks before the cut off.) He is 7 next month and thriving in school. He has also been cleared of ASD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there any private paeds you could see? They are more affordable in the long term as you don't see them as often as speechies and you get a prob back from Medicare. The first consultation for us in melb was $220 with some back from Medicare, then follow up consultations were maybe $120. Once we'd hit the safety net I got most of each visit back. And apart from the time I took him specifically about his speech/behavior when she wanted to see him twice, she usually orders tests or whatever she needs and sees him again in 6 months. I took my daughter when she was born as she had a few minor issues. I'd hit the safety net and it cost $7 or so out of pocket for peace of mind from a familiar face (from a $200 consultation). I think each speech place is different - some triage so worst cases are seen sooner, some just list in order. It's worth calling them again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hanen is a website I think.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.playingwithwords365.com/t...ent/red-flags/

Saw this on a friends Facebook page this morning. I am not sure if it helps but might offer some advice.
    Best of luck getting some assistance for your little one. 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've just done the Hanen it takes 2 to talk program. It's awesome and I know you can buy the textbook online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Busybee we are going to try another gp. Up here we haven't found anybody that seems like they really know what they are doing It's so frustrating. I do get sad about it all I just want him to say mum or love you My nephew says I love you every night to my sister and I can't help but be jealous. And thank you for sharing your positive story it really does help especially when I find it hard to picture anything but the worst Glad to hear your ds is doing so well now!