+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question Raising the drinking age to 21

Pressure is mounting for Australian governments to raise the legal drinking age to 21 to protect the health of young people whose brains are still vulnerable to the toxicity of alcohol at 18, leading health experts say.
    Four professors of mental health and public health have joined a growing list of influential Australians to call for a new legal drinking age that would bring Australia in line with the US where people cannot buy alcohol until they are 21.
    They say raising the age limit would protect young people from the brain damage that can be caused by too much alcohol and the harms associated with being drunk, such as car accidents and violence.
    Writing in the Medical Journal of Australia, John Toumbourou of Deakin University’s School of Psychology, Ian Hickie of the Brain & Mind Research Institute, Kypros Kypri of the School of Medicine and Public Health at the University of Newcastle, and Sandra Jones from the Centre for Health Initiatives at the University of Wollongong, said there was increasing evidence that the accessibility of alcohol from the age of 18 was causing great harm to young people.
    For example, they said a survey of 260 people aged 17 to 19 during end-of-school celebrations on the Queensland Gold Coast in 2010 showed 75 per cent played drinking games, 64 per cent consumed more than 10 drinks per night, and one in five had unprotected sex, in some cases with multiple partners.
    The professors said evidence from the US and Canada suggested lifting the drinking age to 21 decreased rates of alcohol-related harm.
    In the US, they said a review of 17 studies in various states that raised the legal drinking age found the average number of young people involved in road accidents decreased 16 per cent. Furthermore, they said research in some Canadian provinces showed that a higher minimum legal purchasing age reduced the number of young people being hospitalised due to alcohol use disorder, alcohol poisoning, suicidal behaviour and traffic crash injuries.
    ‘‘The evidence strongly suggests that raising the minimum purchasing age for alcohol would reduce youth alcohol-related harm in Australia,’’ they wrote.
    The professors’ demand for a debate on a law change follows similar calls from the Australian Medical Association, Ita Buttrose, and the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
    The professors said that while the federal government could broker a coordinated agreement to amend all relevant regulations in the states to increase the legal purchasing age to 21, they could also follow the US government, which required all states to pass some form of age-21 purchasing legislation to receive funding for new highways.
    Less challenging options included raising the legal purchasing age to 19 or 20, restricting the amount and types of alcohol young people could purchase or banning use in public places.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/calls...#ixzz31XUZ6gDr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    FTR - I am all for raising the drinking age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it will ever happen. How can you tell an 18, 19 or 20 year old that one day they're allowed to drink but the next they are not and wont be for up to 3 years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's our culture that needs to change first, it seems teenage drinking is accepted as a norm.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (13-05-2014),just her chameleon  (13-05-2014),Lauzy  (13-05-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (13-05-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I don't think it will ever happen. How can you tell an 18, 19 or 20 year old that one day they're allowed to drink but the next they are not and wont be for up to 3 years?
    I imagine it would be phased in so that this didn't happen?

A main reason it was lowered to 18 along with the voting age was because 18 year olds could be sent to war, so why should they not be able to vote and drink, they were considered adult enough to face war.

I think it would be very difficult for the government to try to make this disjointed again, some rights at 18 and others at 21... it doesn't sit well with me and I doubt it would sit well with others for the same reason.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

abibelsmum  (13-05-2014),BettyW  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB85 View Post
    It's our culture that needs to change first, it seems teenage drinking is accepted as a norm.
    I agree with this. We have 14 year olds getting drunk on the streets, they don't give a toss what the legal drinking age is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I imagine it would be phased in so that this didn't happen?

A main reason it was lowered to 18 along with the voting age was because 18 year olds could be sent to war, so why should they not be able to vote and drink, they were considered adult enough to face war.

I think it would be very difficult for the government to try to make this disjointed again, some rights at 18 and others at 21... it doesn't sit well with me and I doubt it would sit well with others for the same reason.
    Agree. As an 18 year old you're an adult. Removing this right isn't the answer IMO - better education for young people is one idea and stronger penalties with regard to alcohol related crime- for drinkers and licensed premises.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stupid and it won't work. Certainly doesn't in the US!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will never happen. This idea gets floated and endorsed by health groups etc every couple of years. I don't see the point, did anyone actually not drink until they were 18? I recall getting sh*tfaced multiple times as a 16/17 year old, raising the age is hardly a deterrent or going to prevent people buying alcohol for those under the legal drinking age.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree that the problem is our binge drinking culture, not so much the legal drinking age.

I'd be all for it if I thought it would make a big difference, but I honestly don't think it would. If underage people want to drink to excess, they can (and will) easily get their hands on some alcohol.