+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7.5 month old is doing the same....WAHHHHHH I'm so tired!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Could it be night terrors? (Where bub appears to be awake but isn't?) whatever you do, make minimal fuss. Avoid talking, lights... And I would avoid feeding bub unless they were absolutely hungry (my ds1 had a night terror one night .. I fed. The second night he woke at the same time... I fed. The third time he woke at the same time I though oh this is a habit forming here ... He is waking as he expects a feed.. so I didn't feed. Next night he didn't wake)

Thanks
    Reviews
    His crying is just so bad when I don't feed him though, he just goes on and on! Hard one last night was at least 6 times he stands up at the side of his cot too

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so stressful, 5-6 times a night we are waking he goes to bed at 8 and then his first wakeup is around 10 or so then midnight then literally what feels like ever hr from there out he has just spent 1 hr woke up at just before 5 crying it is now 6.15 and I'm feeding him as it is so stressful any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It would be very stressful!!

Is bub definitley awake before you get him up/feed him? If not I would just pat bubs back softly so as to calm him but not wake him. Bubs can be really distressed in night terrors but waking them makes it 10 times worse.

My next step would be to have a doctor check him out to rule out ear infection.

After that, if bub gets the all clear, I would stop feeding back to sleep. Will you get crying? Yes. Be consistent with another comforting method (eg shushing while patting mattress above bubs head) to minimise the crying. Short term pain (crying) will result in long term gain (breaking bubs habit of waking for a feed. At the same time:
    - make sure bub is having enough solids/protein (meat) during the day
    - make sure bubs room is warm enough: heated to 18-20 degrees, 2.5 tog grobag, appropriate clothing etc
    - with the shirt day naps it sounds like bub hasn't learned to self settle properly, leading to cat napping during the day and over tiredness at night. When are the day naps? Catnapping can be a sign that bub is going to bed tired, but not tired enough... Try pushing the naps out (Eg longer gaps between them). Introduce a comforter with your smell. Do not feed/pat to sleep at bed time. Put bub down drowsy. Ensure at least 10 minutes of active play before bed. Stop using any dummies.

Hang in there and good luck
    Last edited by VicPark; 29-05-2014 at 06:31.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is definately awake, he is standing at the side of his cot crying, I make minimal contact with him no lights no talking no eye contact! He noranl has half hour - hour sleep at 10ish another half hour hour at about 1.30 ish and then another about 4.30, he is not extremely into his solids so that's been a hard issue, feeling extremely worn out today! I know this will pass one day though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hmmm... If it were me I would cut that last 4:30pm nap and put bub to bed earlier at 7pm.

I'm not advocating you follow SOS but as an example the day routine for a 7.5 month...
    7am wake
    9:20-11 sleep
    1:20pm - whenever: sleep (do not let day nap add up to more than 4 hours)" total)
    7pm bed

Also does bub have any sleep aids? (Eg feed/pat/rock to sleep). These can impact a bubs ability to move through sleep cycles ... Which can manifest into short day naps and night wakings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was just about to post a new topic but the OP could have written it for me. We are def in the same boat and I'm turning into the walking dead. The while house is suffering from the constant wakings and lack of sleep!

Dd is 8mths in a few days. It all started with a cold and I could ttly understand her not sleeping well if she was feeling yuck and stuffy. But a bit if Vicks and Panadol and she was back to sleep. We got back to her regular sleeping patterns after a few days.

She usually woke @7.
    Nap 9-9.30
    Sleep 1-3
    Into bed for the night at 7.30. Sleeping through till 7.

The last three days she REFUSES to sleep during the day. She screams and screams in the car when she is tired when once upon a time she would pass out before we left the driveway. She is grumpy and rubbing her eyes all day. Bit slept for no more than 30min all day yesterday.
    By 6 she was exhausted and had her bath and bottle- she was GONE.
    Until an hour later. She was standing in her cot screaming. Cuddles & back to sleep.
    Then every hour after that- the same thing.
    By 10pm she won't sleep anywhere but on my chest. If I put her back down she flails and screams like mad.

So in an effort for anyone to sleep I end up sleeping with her on my chest, lying on the floor. She finally slept for 3hrs.
    Then woke and wanted to play. Bouncing, laughing, talking etc. at this point I have no idea where this energy is coming from.
    She has a bottle, goes in the baby swing and screams for 30min while I try patting and sushing and holding her hand, she pushes me away and kicks and carries on until I stop. Then she goes back to whinging and crying and being generally upset- but definitely not sleeping.

I give up at this point and DF took over. He had the same issues and slept with her on his shoulder for as long as he could stay awake.

What do we do???
    She won't take a dummy. She plays with it like a rattle.
    She throws away her cuddle blanket comforter thing
    She squirms and thrashes if we try to not pick her up but comfort her whilst in the cot.
    Panadol isn't helping, she has a bottle and just wants to play
    I breastfeed her and she feeds for ever, if I pull her off she starts screaming again.
    We already got her checked earlier this week when she had her cold. She got antibiotics to clear a small infection. And she started sleeping well for a few days after this.

HELP please!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Made with love, that sounds like a schedule issue. If a baby isn't tired, they aren't likely to sleep and will kick off about it.

Has she fully recovered from her cold? How dies she fall asleep? On her own or do you feed, rock, or pat her?

Do you wake her at the same time every morning?

I'd check out the tresillian website for their suggested schedules and settling techniques.

Personally at 8 months old and that amount of waking, I would be using controlled crying TBH, but I'm unsure if that sits well with your parenting philosophy. But I would try and tweak her routine before going down the CC route as CC only works as a last resort when,you have ruled out medical issues, eating issues, routine issues etc.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks allie! She was still sick. We ended up taking we back to the docs for another check and since then she also looks like her two top teeth are starting to cut through.
    Not that knowing any of this makes it easier to cope with the multiple night wakings. It's just nice to know there is an end in sight and why she is so miserable
    Looks like it's all cleared up now and she is back to her regular schedule.