+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to train my dog?

Am after any suggestion onto training/fixing my male staffy, he's driving me insane!
    Run down- he's 12 months old, walked daily, constant attention but is so damn needy. He can't sit without touching you. If you're patting him and stop he'll constantly nudge you to pat him again. If my girls are playing on the swings he will sit infront of them so they'll hit him every time just so he is getting touched.
    How do I stop the needy, attention seeking behavior?
    And lastly he chews EVERYTHING! All my DD's toys, playset and now My nice new expensive outdoor setting is destroyed. He only chews one chair though to get the cushion out (cube one so he has to pull the chair to get it out) and the reason he started chewing it was because our ex nanny sat on that chair to smoke. He doesn't touch any of the other seats. I have tried 2 different types of stop biting spray, chili, Tabasco sauce & pepper but nothing works.
    We've done everything the vet and dog trainer have recommended but nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?
    We also have a 6month old girl staffy but she is no problem at all! He settled for a while once we got her but it didn't last long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately he sounds like a typical staffy. They are just people dogs to the extreme. I don't have any hints for you, but I really hope with time he improves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

SHAELEEJANE  (12-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our male Staffy is 5 and only just starting to settle down...although we cannot take him anywhere near water because he loves it or let him off the lead. He still acts very much like a puppy and I swear is half human...so probably half our fault for treating him like one.

We tried bark busters but didn't do much, have been looking into a dog whisperer.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As hard as it might be to hear. You might have to accept him as he is. I've owned numerous staffs and they can be extreme in their needs sometimes. We have one now that is top pedigree but is full of complexes! I've had others that are easy! If you've tried what the vet and trainers recommend then maybe it's time to accept that this is his personality? If you can't handle him, which i hope you can, maybe look at rehoming him with someone who can handle his needs for touch. 😊 Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been brought up around staffs my whole life and have never actually come across one so needy. I can deal with the attention if he stops the chewing. Understand that staffy chew things but after awhile you'd think they'd learn not to.
    Comes to walking and going to the beach, park and he's an awesome dog!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is he chewing everything that belongs to the kids? Ie anyone that gets your attention? Have you tried giving him a special toy (one that he can chew and chew) and that you play special games with him with it and then letting him have it at special times. To me he sounds like as you say "a very needy boy" ...which just translates into not trusting that he is going to be as important to you. My word, it is hard though hey. I had a staff that use to do the same thing, but always my stuff she would chew. It was definitely a security issue for her. Getting her her own teddies seemed to help and alone time with me and making sure I stuck to strict pack hierarchy ...always saying hi to her before the other animals etc...might be the case of saying hi to her before your kids etc...no doubt you have been told that already though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he chews anything and everything. From the girls playground set and he can now run up the slide and started chewing that, the taps, gate, clothes line, any clothes he can get off the clothes line and outdoor setting. I'm not going to give up on him but I have no idea what else to do! He gets so much attention and funny enough the more attention he gets, the more stuff he chews when I'm not home.
    He has a teddy, blankets, bed, kennel all of which he chews/destroys!
    Think I might try one more dog trainer and see how we get one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    No he chews anything and everything. From the girls playground set and he can now run up the slide and started chewing that, the taps, gate, clothes line, any clothes he can get off the clothes line and outdoor setting. I'm not going to give up on him but I have no idea what else to do! He gets so much attention and funny enough the more attention he gets, the more stuff he chews when I'm not home.
    He has a teddy, blankets, bed, kennel all of which he chews/destroys!
    Think I might try one more dog trainer and see how we get one.
    wowsers! You certainly have your hands full! I really hope he settles down for you! He sounds exceptionally cute and exceptionally naughty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really suggest training classes, where you go and do training in a group environment with your dog. I've never done them with previous pets but we recently got a Cocker Spaniel puppy and the difference between him and our previous dogs is incredible they really have been a wonderful way to teach our dog to behave well in our home.
    Hope you can get some tips and sort out his behaviour, it's so difficult when they are this full-on. We have had to re-home an old dog due to these sort of problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My beagle was like that I got a second dog LOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (03-07-2014)