+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Normal gagging?

I started solids with bub when he was 4+mths on/off basis, with rice cereal +BM then later on pumpkin puree. Stopped when noticed his seemed to have issues with pooing. Stopped 2wks before he turned 6mths. Started again at 6mths but he doesn't seem interested in eating rice cereal. Looks away when shown the food, and gags and vomits them out. Mixed with pear puree, and rice cereal +pumpkin puree. Same action.

Does anyone have the same issue? Shd I just move on and offer other foods or should I stick with the same food for a few weeks before moving on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 10 month old still gags and vomits with certain textures so we have gone back to smooth purees with very little lumps and just finger foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids both hated purees. both ended up the BLW route with some chunky meals from the Anabel Karmel app.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd doesn't gagg. But we never did rice cereal or many purées. She just doesn't like them. She prefers to hold her own food and mush in between her gums.
    Soft cooked veggies
    Sweet potato hash browns
    Banana
    Toast fingers etc.

A lot of ppl start with rice Cereal since it's easy to prepare, mixed with a flavour they are already familiar with and also has some added iron. If bubs is getting iron from other foods- greens, meat etc. it shouldn't be an issue what you choose to feed bubs.

Maybe try something else and see how it goes. worst case scenario it doesn't get eaten either.. But it can't hurt to try. At least you can try and rule out if it's the flavour or the texture or just new food in general that is causing the reaction

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by springrose View Post
    he doesn't seem interested in eating rice cereal. Looks away when shown the food, and gags and vomits them out
    I think he's telling you in his own quiet way that it's pretty yuck on all counts (taste, texture etc) and heis ready to try something else

What are YOU eating? I would start by sharing that with him or modifing it so it's bub friendly! Chunks of soft avocado, soft cooked pumpkin in chunks he can hold and mash in his fingers and taste, soft banana chunks, fish, steamed broccoli to gnaw etc and go from there.

I always had this sort of rule that I wouldn't serve my kids anything I wouldn't eat myself, and there's no way I am eating that rice cereal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All babies are different and he just may not be ready yet - as pp mentioned have a read of the BLW book and just keep offering food at every meal and when he is ready he will eat - food before 1 is just for learning - bm/formula is still his main source of nutrition ( especially at 6 months ) so don't stress but definitely toss the rice cereal/ purées.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thx all for the response. I cut some cooked carrots and gave some banana and he tried to eat it!!!
    I have read the blw book but dont remember it mentioning about cooking fruits or vege. For puree you need to steam the apple/pear before pureeing. I was wondering for blw do i need to steam them first?