+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Iron supplement suggestion for 2.5 yr old??

DD is iron deficient ( so surprise since shes always been a crap eater)... my GP suggested Incremen (centrum ) but DD hates the taste... any suggestion for an alternative?

(title should have included age ...2.5yr)
    Last edited by OS&N; 10-05-2014 at 23:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they know why your DD is iron deficient? A friend of mine's DS was always iron deficient and it wasn't until he was 8 did they finally figure out why - turns out he actually has Coeliacs disease (gluten intolerance). Might be worth while getting your DD tested for that - a simple blood test. Just my two cents worth. But sorry don't have any alternatives to the brand you've got.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OS&N View Post
    DD is iron deficient ( so surprise since shes always been a crap eater)... my GP suggested Incremen (centrum ) but DD hates the taste... any suggestion for an alternative?

My 4yo is the same. His 2.5yo bro weighs the same as him.

I know juice isn't great and my kids drink very little of it, but I use V8 juice to mask the taste of the incremin.., the forest fruits flavour one.. It's the only thing I can use to help him with the incremin.

But if anyone has any other alternatives to the incremin I'd love to know as well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was iron deficient and I'm anaemic and the paed and gp out us both on Ferrograd c - tabs for me and liquid for DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OS&N View Post

Sorry to crash but can you tell me how you know she is deficient? Were there signs or did you just take her to get tested? My DD doesn't eat red meat much at all so this worries me so much.

Thanks in advance ❤️

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your replies everyone!

We did go for a blood test kezza511 but DD freaked out BIG TIME!

basically GP and dietician reviewed her diet; checked her generally (he noted her conjunctiva and inner mouth colouring was abit pale...he thinks its not severe as she is still very active and doesnot get overly tired or breathless.

I talked about coeliac but no one in our family has it and her stools have always been normal....I may get it checked anyway IF I can get her to have the blood test!

I'm trying juices etc...occasional luck so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't forget to cook with cast iron frypans /skillets - the iron does absorb into the food - especially acidic foods like tomatoes so great for pasta sauces

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have experience with this but I did hear a friend saying they need to make sure their daughter doesn't eat too much dairy, especially right after eating red meat and other iron-rich foods as it hinders iron absorption?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes - don't serve milk with meals - wait a few hours if you give her milk as a drink - dairy definitely hinders iron absorption - but vitamin c assists it so always serve vitamin c foods with iron rich foods so tomato pasta sauce with beef or eggs with spinach or fish with lemon juice type thing