+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A fussy 16m.o

My ds who used to be such a great eater has gone downhill in what he will eat. He will now only eat nuggets, chips, fish fingers, yoghurt and custard, scrambled eggs, the occasional peanut butter sandwhich and his bottles. I really want to get some veggies and protein in to him if anyone has any ideas of what to give a fussy child i would love the input.
    Last edited by shortstuff86; 10-05-2014 at 17:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No tips here 😏

You are not alone OP my 15 month old dd eats basically just the above apart from scrambled eggs(she used too) and Vegemite instead of peanut butter- she does like mac and cheese too

I do use wonder white bread and she occasional eats Cheerios which are fortified with vitamins and minerals

I try not to get stressed about it and accept her limited tastes as a passing phase- fussy toddlers are the norm and those that eat well are the exception

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds who is 18.5 months is also pretty fussy the last few months especially.

I find it very difficult to get vegies into him as he won't willingly eat them. Dinner is my worst meal where he is extremely fussy.

His current meals he will eat for dinner are:
    Spag bol
    Lasagna
    Ravioli
    Sausage rolls
    Scrambled eggs

Except for the ravioli and scrambled eggs I make these in bulk with grated or chopped finely vegies in them. Ravioli is store bought although one day I will give it a go to make my own. There is a kids one that has veggies in them (probably minimal but better than nothing).

Scrambled eggs - I've lately been putting some of those raffertys just veggies pouches in them.

There is a book called deceptively delicious that has recipes with hidden veggie purees in them. So far not much success with dinner options for ds but dh likes them.

I've contemplated giving "dinner" at lunch time as he has just woken from a sleep and is usually more hungry.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Feeling everyone's pain over here. The worst part is he eats everything at childcare! So, I try not to stress too much. He does like chicken schnitzel from the deli section at Woolies, which I bake with my tomato paste (which has ground zucchini, celery and carrot in it) and melted cheese like a Parma. That's the main protein I can get into him atm. OP, will he eat finely cut ham/chicken in his scrambled eggs? You could also try some zucchini or mushrooms in that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 used to be soooo fussy and I used to seriously worry that she would never eat 'properly'. She eats a really broad range of food now though at 4.

Just keep offering good food and keep it low stress and it will pay off in the end I'm sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of your list, can you make the nuggets with finely grated veg in them and chicken breast? A food processor (or I use my thermomix) would wizz it up then shape into patties, coat in bread crumbs then fry in spray oil.

Also my DS who has become more fussy and doesn't like protein will happily eat mince so I add extra veg to meatballs, rissoles, meatloaf, spaghetti Bol or DH and I have tacos and he has the mince with heaps of veg/beans and cheese.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried making sweet potato chips? Or zucchini frys are good as well And as pp said when you make nuggets put in some grated veggies, add chia seeds to the crumb mix ( extra iron/protein hit)

If he was eating well and there are no sensory issues then yep he's just being a typical toddler - just keep offering and trying new foods and the best thing to do is not to make dinner time stressful, if he eats that's great , if not just try put a few little bits of things he does eat on the plate and make sure you eat with him so he can see you enjoying the food

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 has become mega fussy.
    Days are hit and miss, sometimes he will eat, other times not.
    Most definitely will not eat a vegetable if he can help it.
    Pasta is sometimes a hit and easy to hide veg.
    Sometimes will eat pumpkin or lentil soup with rice.
    I made pumpkin scones the other day and both my boys demolished them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds hasnt had spag yet or meatballs, do you give it to them or just let them go to town on it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did blw so he's always just gone for it but yeah, I just give him a bowl and he goes nuts