+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    They usually recommend going to hospital when contractions are 2-3 mins apart and lasting 60secs or when waters break. I would ring several times at beginning of labour and when 5 mins apart just to update them
    I didn't even realize I was in labour when my contractions until contractions were 5 mins apart. I am guessing I would have been about 5cm dilated at that stage.
    I just stayed at home for 5 hours breathing thru the tightening tummy contractions. If you think in your mind that they will be gone in 60 secs it helps. I was able to put my makeup on and talk and pack a few more things in between contractions. When they were 2-3 mins apart my plug and waters broke, then we left for hospital.
    I was 10cm when I arrived and had her after mucking about putting my nightie on within an hour of getting there.
    I don't know about raspberry tea, but I used clary sage oil mixed with moisturiser all over body from 38w, used a fitball in 3rd trimester and did acupressure on my hands and ankles from 38w
    I had her at 39w4d with a 6 hour labour which is considered quick for first time
    This is exactly how I would love my labour to go. A friend of mine who also lived an hr away from the hospital got there when she was 10cm as she took her time. I just hope I can handle it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice as such but here's my recent experience (DS is 10 wks old)

Full on labour in the car was the worst and I only had a 20 min drive. If I had my time again I'd leave at the first sign of painful contractions and in saying that, we only waited an hour. We were only at the hospital for 2.5 hours before he was born and waters didn't break until right before he was born so don't count on that as a trigger.

Breathing went out the window - I screamed like a banshee but ended up just using gas - actually that regulated my breathing and gave me something to concentrate on. Give in to your body - it knows what it's doing!!

The BEST advice I was given during the pushing stage was "chin to chest and push through your bum - no sound because that releases your energy"
    Worked - got him out quick when his heart rate dropped.

I can't remember the rest of your questions so I may post again

Good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    Hi everyone! I have been reading the bub hub forums since I found out I was pregnant and have found them very useful so thought I would post some questions I have! I'm sorry in advance for the novel, this has been brewing in my mind for 33 wks!

I am pregnant with my first child and am due on the 29th June, about 7 wks away.
    I have read heaps of information about pregnancy and birth but am still a little scared about the whole process and also taking my baby home for the first time. I have a wonderful husband but he is very inexperienced with children (I'm pretty sure he held his first baby this yr when friends of ours had their first). I have had lots of experience with children, I am a primary teacher and also worked in child are and nannied for a yr with a 3 y.o and 6 month old, it's just the newborn stage I'm a little cautious about!

So my first question is, what are some techniques you have used during labour to help you with the pain of contractions?
    When I was in my early 20's I was convinced I would elect for a c-section (before I had either met my husband) the thought of something coming out down there still gives me the erks, yet I have been told the recovery from a c section is a lot longer than v birth and therefore am going to try for a natural birth. A lady at my work (who is pregnant with her 4th) gave me advice on breathing during contractions. She told me to breath in for the count of 6 and out for the count of 8 so I have been practising that. It is the only advice I have been given.

What are your experiences with an epidural?
    I am completely open to any pain relief, however would rather not use it if I can get away with it. I can be a big sook sometimes and would really like to avoid an epi if I can, mainly because I don't want to be stuck in bed after the birth and I want to be able to move into a comfortable position while having the baby. I would not be disappointed if I had to have it, but would rather
    I cant help with all of your questions but these I can. For pain at home I walked and rocked on a fit ball. The more walking and being upright, the better (if you can manage it). I also kneeled on the floor and leaned on the fit ball and rocked which helped too!

As for pain relief in hospital, I didnt have an epi but used a labour tens machine which I found fantastic.

Hope that helps

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a hypnobirthing course which helped immensely as they went into more depth about all the things to expect, as well as pain relief options etc. It helped me not be scared of labor and DH too.

Like your husband, mine had no experience with babies or kids but he learned a lot in the hospital (eg nappies, how to bath baby, give a bottle etc). Get him to watch "The Happiest Baby on the Block" on DVD (or find some youtube clips from it), my DH learnt to swaddle and settle bubs from this, which was a huge help after feedings in the middle of the night.

Lastly on the topic of dads my other tip is let them do as much as possible. I've had friends who didn't think their husbands were up to the job and would end up doing everything themselves, then finding that they didn't feel confident leaving bubs with their husbands. Apart from breastfeeding (if you're doing that), dads can do everything too so give him a chance

Good luck and enjoy being a new parent! (Oh and I loved my epidural!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (09-05-2014),Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    Hi everyone! I have been reading the bub hub forums since I found out I was pregnant and have found them very useful so thought I would post some questions I have! I'm sorry in advance for the novel, this has been brewing in my mind for 33 wks!

I am pregnant with my first child and am due on the 29th June, about 7 wks away.
    I have read heaps of information about pregnancy and birth but am still a little scared about the whole process and also taking my baby home for the first time. I have a wonderful husband but he is very inexperienced with children (I'm pretty sure he held his first baby this yr when friends of ours had their first). I have had lots of experience with children, I am a primary teacher and also worked in child are and nannied for a yr with a 3 y.o and 6 month old, it's just the newborn stage I'm a little cautious about!

So my first question is, what are some techniques you have used during labour to help you with the pain of contractions?
    When I was in my early 20's I was convinced I would elect for a c-section (before I had either met my husband) the thought of something coming out down there still gives me the erks, yet I have been told the recovery from a c section is a lot longer than v birth and therefore am going to try for a natural birth. A lady at my work (who is pregnant with her 4th) gave me advice on breathing during contractions. She told me to breath in for the count of 6 and out for the count of 8 so I have been practising that. It is the only advice I have been given!

Does anyone have any advice on when to go to hospital during labour?
    We live an hr away from where I will be giving birth. I am leaning more towards staying at home for as long as possible, yet don't want to leave it too late. I just dread the thought of being in hospital waiting forever for the baby to come. My theory is the longer I stay at home, the longer I go without pain relief as I will not have the option. Which bring me to my next question..

What are your experiences with an epidural?
    I am completely open to any pain relief, however would rather not use it if I can get away with it. I can be a big sook sometimes and would really like to avoid an epi if I can, mainly because I don't want to be stuck in bed after the birth and I want to be able to move into a comfortable position while having the baby. I would not be disappointed if I had to have it, but would rather not.

My last question (for this post as it's getting really long) is has anyone taken raspberry leaf tablets and did they help you?
    My friend has suggested using them and I was wondering if I should, I'm also going to ask my obstetricians opinion when I have my appointment this wk.

Thank you to anyone who reads all of this post! I know it's long-winded and still have plenty more questions to asks but this will do for a start. The unknown is what is hard to get my headaround! Thank you Em X
    I recommend looking up active birthing. Gives lots of natural birthing technique.
    Def wait as long as possible before going up to the hospital :-)
    Don't know about epidurals, sorry.
    I think raspberry leave tablets helped. I had raspberry leave tea with ds1 and dd and both we're late. Had the tablets with Ds2 and he was on time. They seemed stronger. Best of luck op!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally agree with silent pushing thru bum chin to chest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all of your replies so far. You have all been so helpful and it's great to hear from experienced people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd also highly recommend the book Birth Skills by Juju Sundin. She goes through lots of practical strategies for the different stages and levels of pain.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a fit ball for labouring at home and thought it was great for staying active and getting through contractions. I definitely recommend it!
    Dh stayed in contact with the hospital and gave them updates/ asked advice on when to come in because my waters broke early on and my contractions weren't consistent. I'd have a few rounds of 4mins apart then I'd get a 7minute then back to 4 so we found it quite confusing! Just call the hospital if you aren't sure.

At hospital, I used controlled breathing, gas and focused on a painting in the room. I think staying active really helps progress things, I wish I moved about more at hospital. My lower back was in a lot of pain so I found myself sitting alot, I would walk from the chair to the toilet and back again but didn't do much else. I had a really long labour and think it would have helped to get moving!
    Can't offer much advice on the raspberry tablets but I can safely say the raspberry leaf tea didn't work for me at all and I drank it religiously, upping the intake as I neared my due date.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

Em9  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I'm 32 weeks and appreciating all the info too! Thanks OP