+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time mum, lots of questions!

Hi everyone! I have been reading the bub hub forums since I found out I was pregnant and have found them very useful so thought I would post some questions I have! I'm sorry in advance for the novel, this has been brewing in my mind for 33 wks!

I am pregnant with my first child and am due on the 29th June, about 7 wks away.
    I have read heaps of information about pregnancy and birth but am still a little scared about the whole process and also taking my baby home for the first time. I have a wonderful husband but he is very inexperienced with children (I'm pretty sure he held his first baby this yr when friends of ours had their first). I have had lots of experience with children, I am a primary teacher and also worked in child are and nannied for a yr with a 3 y.o and 6 month old, it's just the newborn stage I'm a little cautious about!

So my first question is, what are some techniques you have used during labour to help you with the pain of contractions?
    When I was in my early 20's I was convinced I would elect for a c-section (before I had either met my husband) the thought of something coming out down there still gives me the erks, yet I have been told the recovery from a c section is a lot longer than v birth and therefore am going to try for a natural birth. A lady at my work (who is pregnant with her 4th) gave me advice on breathing during contractions. She told me to breath in for the count of 6 and out for the count of 8 so I have been practising that. It is the only advice I have been given!

Does anyone have any advice on when to go to hospital during labour?
    We live an hr away from where I will be giving birth. I am leaning more towards staying at home for as long as possible, yet don't want to leave it too late. I just dread the thought of being in hospital waiting forever for the baby to come. My theory is the longer I stay at home, the longer I go without pain relief as I will not have the option. Which bring me to my next question..

What are your experiences with an epidural?
    I am completely open to any pain relief, however would rather not use it if I can get away with it. I can be a big sook sometimes and would really like to avoid an epi if I can, mainly because I don't want to be stuck in bed after the birth and I want to be able to move into a comfortable position while having the baby. I would not be disappointed if I had to have it, but would rather not.

My last question (for this post as it's getting really long) is has anyone taken raspberry leaf tablets and did they help you?
    My friend has suggested using them and I was wondering if I should, I'm also going to ask my obstetricians opinion when I have my appointment this wk.

Thank you to anyone who reads all of this post! I know it's long-winded and still have plenty more questions to asks but this will do for a start. The unknown is what is hard to get my headaround! Thank you Em X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you been to any antenatal classes?

Do you have any appointments with the midwives where you can ask them specific questions about the hospital?

Thanks
    Reviews
    L.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my first delivery I was stuck on a bed and it was painful.
    Second time around I was able to be up and walking around. It was so much better.

Sent from my GT-S7275T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lisaandshaun For This Useful Post:

Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to a whole day class and I found the info helpful. We were told all of the possibilities during labour and given a description of the different pain relief options. We were told as we were out of town to come to hospital when contractions are 10-8 mins apart. However I don't want to get there and be 1cm dilated and ready to give up. I was hoping I would handle most of it at home. At least half anyway! I'm really clueless with all of this and would just like to know of others experiences. I understand everyone is different and there's no telling what will happen to me till it happens! Unfortunately I can't predict the future lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm due in June too
    And it's also the first time for me so I can't speak from experience...
    You might have already read it but lot of people have recommended the book Birth Skills by J. Sundin, for tips on how to cope with contractions and promote the progression of labour.
    Regarding the raspberry leaf tea/capsules, this was a pretty decent study (which is better than anecdotal evidence!) :
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...095-2/abstract
    You should be able to read the abstract at least if you can't access the full article.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I'm due in June too
    And it's also the first time for me so I can't speak from experience...
    You might have already read it but lot of people have recommended the book Birth Skills by J. Sundin, for tips on how to cope with contractions and promote the progression of labour.
    Regarding the raspberry leaf tea/capsules, this was a pretty decent study (which is better than anecdotal evidence!) :
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...095-2/abstract
    You should be able to read the abstract at least if you can't access the full article.
    Thank you! I keep telling myself soooo many women are going through this/have gone through it forever though I still freak out a little lol. I think I over think things sometimes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    We went to a whole day class and I found the info helpful. We were told all of the possibilities during labour and given a description of the different pain relief options. We were told as we were out of town to come to hospital when contractions are 10-8 mins apart. However I don't want to get there and be 1cm dilated and ready to give up. I was hoping I would handle most of it at home. At least half anyway! I'm really clueless with all of this and would just like to know of others experiences. I understand everyone is different and there's no telling what will happen to me till it happens! Unfortunately I can't predict the future lol.

Noooooo don't go to hospital then - you'll be there for days!!

Wait until you're getting regular, painful contractions that are 4 to 5 minutes apart. Or if your waters break. Or if you get bleeding. Or if you get reduced fetal movements.

Alternatively head into town when you think labour is beginning and get a hotel for the night. That way you'll be close to the hospital to head over quickly when things progress but aren't stuck at the hospital.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They usually recommend going to hospital when contractions are 2-3 mins apart and lasting 60secs or when waters break. I would ring several times at beginning of labour and when 5 mins apart just to update them
    I didn't even realize I was in labour until contractions were 5 mins apart. I am guessing I would have been about 5cm dilated at that stage.
    I just stayed at home for 5 hours breathing thru the tightening tummy contractions. If you think in your mind that they will be gone in 60 secs it helps. I was able to put my makeup on and talk and pack a few more things in between contractions. When they were 2-3 mins apart my plug and waters broke, then we left for hospital.
    I was 10cm when I arrived and had her after mucking about putting my nightie on within an hour of getting there.
    I don't know about raspberry tea, but I used clary sage oil mixed with moisturiser all over body from 38w, used a fitball in 3rd trimester and did acupressure on my hands and ankles from 38w
    I had her at 39w4d with a 6 hour labour which is considered quick for first time
    Last edited by Kazza78; 09-05-2014 at 22:15.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Noooooo don't go to hospital then - you'll be there for days!!

Wait until you're getting regular, painful contractions that are 4 to 5 minutes apart. Or if your waters break. Or if you get bleeding. Or if you get reduced fetal movements.

Alternatively head into town when you think labour is beginning and get a hotel for the night. That way you'll be close to the hospital to head over quickly when things progress but aren't stuck at the hospital.
    This is what I thought! A hotel is a good idea!