+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Cats are territorial and narky why would you bring a new cat into a house when there's one cat already established as king poohbah???
    - Get rid of the new ring in not the cat that was with you first, that's not fair! Better still try feliway and everything you can think of first, that's only fair.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are there people who can come in and help? Cat behaviourist? I saw one on tv same type of thing, with the right training the aggro cat stopped attacking the kitten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Cats are territorial and narky why would you bring a new cat into a house when there's one cat already established as king poohbah???
    - Get rid of the new ring in not the cat that was with you first, that's not fair! Better still try feliway and everything you can think of first, that's only fair.
    Because obviously I am a cruel nasty piece of work that wanted to torture a new kitten. I followed guidance on how to introduce them very very slowly. They used to sleep together.

The new ring in has lived here almost 4 years and is my DDs best friend. She does not attack anyone. She didn't ask to be brought home and attacked by another cat. Is removing her fair?

I have tried felliway and spoken with a vet and had him checked to see if there could be any other cause.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Are there people who can come in and help? Cat behaviourist? I saw one on tv same type of thing, with the right training the aggro cat stopped attacking the kitten.
    Thanks - yeah I might look into this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just anything to clarify something. Yes, cats are territorial. But it is quite possible to introduce a second cat into the household. Millions of people have done it successfully. Contrary to popular belief, lots of cats enjoy the company of other cats. Cats are not 'narky', they are lovely <3

But it sounds like your boy isn't one of the ones who wants a feline friend, which is unfortunate.

There are medications available that can be used to successfully treat cat aggression. Prozac, etc. But it would be important to contact a behaviourist first so that the right steps were taken to introduce this. I've seen it used successfully loads of times. (I'm a vet nurse.)

If you decide to go down the rehoming route, I second what others have said. Don't leave him at a shelter. Try to rehome him with the help of a rescue organisation. In Perth, we have SAFE, etc, who do this.

Always advertise him with a fee attached. It turns away people who would take him for the wrong reasons. You can always remove the fee if the right person comes along.

It's a difficult decision to make and I don't envy you.

You had no way of knowing how things would turn out. X

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

crazyaboutbubs  (10-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-05-2014),SeymourTheBear  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutbubs View Post
    Because obviously I am a cruel nasty piece of work that wanted to torture a new kitten. I followed guidance on how to introduce them very very slowly. They used to sleep together.

The new ring in has lived here almost 4 years and is my DDs best friend. She does not attack anyone. She didn't ask to be brought home and attacked by another cat. Is removing her fair?

I have tried felliway and spoken with a vet and had him checked to see if there could be any other cause.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Of course you're not cruel and nasty but I won't lie. Bringing a second cat into a home is not something I would have risked. If the new cat is making the old cat angry then I think it's fairest to remove the new cat first if that will help with the anger. But of course you're allowed to have a different opinion, they are your pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course you're not cruel and nasty but I won't lie. Bringing a second cat into a home is not something I would have risked. If the new cat is making the old cat angry then I think it's fairest to remove the new cat first if that will help with the anger. But of course you're allowed to have a different opinion, they are your pets.
    So according to you no one can have two cats?! Unless you get them at exact the same time? Come on. Give the OP a break.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

crazyaboutbubs  (10-05-2014),Lumpy Melon  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    So according to you no one can have two cats?! Unless you get them at exact the same time? Come on. Give the OP a break.
    Of course they can have 2 cats purchased at different times it's their life. All I'm saying is don't act surprised when it all goes pear shaped. And that I don't think it's fair to create a situation that is highly likely to end up pear shaped and result in one poor per getting the boot.

I think my comments are fair considering the OP mentioned in her post that she judges people who rehome pets.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course they can have 2 cats purchased at different times it's their life. All I'm saying is don't act surprised when it all goes pear shaped. And that I don't think it's fair to create a situation that is highly likely to end up pear shaped and result in one poor per getting the boot.

I think my comments are fair considering the OP mentioned in her post that she judges people who rehome pets.
    Do you think you're funny and/or clever? You're behaving tonight like my preschooler does when he's trying to pick a fight with me. It's boring and nasty.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

crazyaboutbubs  (10-05-2014),Elijahs Mum  (10-05-2014),GingerKat  (10-05-2014),Leahmaree  (10-05-2014),Lumpy Melon  (10-05-2014),Meld85  (11-05-2014),NurseAnni  (11-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-05-2014),Purple Lily  (10-05-2014),Tamtam  (10-05-2014),Zombie_eyes  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Do you think you're funny and/or clever? You're behaving tonight like my preschooler does when he's trying to pick a fight with me. It's boring and nasty.
    The votes are in, so the claws are out. Again!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (10-05-2014)