+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,705
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,687
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Cats are territorial and narky why would you bring a new cat into a house when there's one cat already established as king poohbah???
    - Get rid of the new ring in not the cat that was with you first, that's not fair! Better still try feliway and everything you can think of first, that's only fair.

  2. #12
    Zombie_eyes's Avatar
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,354
    Thanks
    2,835
    Thanked
    9,033
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are there people who can come in and help? Cat behaviourist? I saw one on tv same type of thing, with the right training the aggro cat stopped attacking the kitten.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    95
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Cats are territorial and narky why would you bring a new cat into a house when there's one cat already established as king poohbah???
    - Get rid of the new ring in not the cat that was with you first, that's not fair! Better still try feliway and everything you can think of first, that's only fair.
    Because obviously I am a cruel nasty piece of work that wanted to torture a new kitten. I followed guidance on how to introduce them very very slowly. They used to sleep together.

    The new ring in has lived here almost 4 years and is my DDs best friend. She does not attack anyone. She didn't ask to be brought home and attacked by another cat. Is removing her fair?

    I have tried felliway and spoken with a vet and had him checked to see if there could be any other cause.

    Thanks for your valuable input.



    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    95
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Are there people who can come in and help? Cat behaviourist? I saw one on tv same type of thing, with the right training the aggro cat stopped attacking the kitten.
    Thanks - yeah I might look into this!

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked
    115
    Reviews
    0
    Just anything to clarify something. Yes, cats are territorial. But it is quite possible to introduce a second cat into the household. Millions of people have done it successfully. Contrary to popular belief, lots of cats enjoy the company of other cats. Cats are not 'narky', they are lovely <3

    But it sounds like your boy isn't one of the ones who wants a feline friend, which is unfortunate.

    There are medications available that can be used to successfully treat cat aggression. Prozac, etc. But it would be important to contact a behaviourist first so that the right steps were taken to introduce this. I've seen it used successfully loads of times. (I'm a vet nurse.)

    If you decide to go down the rehoming route, I second what others have said. Don't leave him at a shelter. Try to rehome him with the help of a rescue organisation. In Perth, we have SAFE, etc, who do this.

    Always advertise him with a fee attached. It turns away people who would take him for the wrong reasons. You can always remove the fee if the right person comes along.

    It's a difficult decision to make and I don't envy you.

    You had no way of knowing how things would turn out. X

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

    crazyaboutbubs  (10-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-05-2014),SeymourTheBear  (10-05-2014)

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,705
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,687
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutbubs View Post
    Because obviously I am a cruel nasty piece of work that wanted to torture a new kitten. I followed guidance on how to introduce them very very slowly. They used to sleep together.

    The new ring in has lived here almost 4 years and is my DDs best friend. She does not attack anyone. She didn't ask to be brought home and attacked by another cat. Is removing her fair?

    I have tried felliway and spoken with a vet and had him checked to see if there could be any other cause.

    Thanks for your valuable input.



    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Of course you're not cruel and nasty but I won't lie. Bringing a second cat into a home is not something I would have risked. If the new cat is making the old cat angry then I think it's fairest to remove the new cat first if that will help with the anger. But of course you're allowed to have a different opinion, they are your pets.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,149
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked
    505
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Of course you're not cruel and nasty but I won't lie. Bringing a second cat into a home is not something I would have risked. If the new cat is making the old cat angry then I think it's fairest to remove the new cat first if that will help with the anger. But of course you're allowed to have a different opinion, they are your pets.
    So according to you no one can have two cats?! Unless you get them at exact the same time? Come on. Give the OP a break.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

    crazyaboutbubs  (10-05-2014),Lumpy Melon  (10-05-2014)

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,705
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,687
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    So according to you no one can have two cats?! Unless you get them at exact the same time? Come on. Give the OP a break.
    Of course they can have 2 cats purchased at different times it's their life. All I'm saying is don't act surprised when it all goes pear shaped. And that I don't think it's fair to create a situation that is highly likely to end up pear shaped and result in one poor per getting the boot.

    I think my comments are fair considering the OP mentioned in her post that she judges people who rehome pets.

  11. #19
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Of course they can have 2 cats purchased at different times it's their life. All I'm saying is don't act surprised when it all goes pear shaped. And that I don't think it's fair to create a situation that is highly likely to end up pear shaped and result in one poor per getting the boot.

    I think my comments are fair considering the OP mentioned in her post that she judges people who rehome pets.
    Do you think you're funny and/or clever? You're behaving tonight like my preschooler does when he's trying to pick a fight with me. It's boring and nasty.

  12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    crazyaboutbubs  (10-05-2014),Elijahs Mum  (10-05-2014),GingerKat  (10-05-2014),Leahmaree  (10-05-2014),Lumpy Melon  (10-05-2014),Meld85  (11-05-2014),NurseAnni  (11-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-05-2014),Purple Lily  (10-05-2014),Tamtam  (10-05-2014),Zombie_eyes  (10-05-2014)

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Do you think you're funny and/or clever? You're behaving tonight like my preschooler does when he's trying to pick a fight with me. It's boring and nasty.
    The votes are in, so the claws are out. Again!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Tamtam  (10-05-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Show us your pets
    By NewMrs in forum Pets
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 28-11-2014, 20:29
  2. Spin off - names used for pets too
    By Waggers70 in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 30-05-2014, 09:44
  3. Renting and pets
    By glittertg in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-12-2013, 19:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Hunter Women's Health Centre
Hunter Women’s Health Centre care for women of all ages, in the full spectrum of their gynaecologic and obstetric health.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!