+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Yes. Setting up a tin at a Mother's Day stall where the students could "voluntarily choose" rather than be persuaded would be a migrating factor for me. I would find that perfectly acceptable..
    Yep. Agree. Then they have a choice.
    Or a class fundraising event at another time would be great too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think that's overly dramatic. Dirty tactics my ****. IMO donating to charity in honor of your mum (and getting a sticker) fits under the Mother's Day present umbrella. Holding your hand out for a donation is no different than taking someone's money for a hand made hankie at a Mother's Day stall. If the TA has been set up with a donation tin at the actual mothers day stall would that have been acceptable?

Parents should be congratulating kids who donated their $5 to charity instead of feeding the "this is an outrage" hysteria.
    If they were planning on doing this a simple note home to the parents the day before would have been appropriate. I have an 8 yo and if her teacher had suggested this I would have talked to her about it and explained why it was a good thing to do.

At the end of the day it's not the teacher who gets to choose how the child spends the money. That's up to the child, and a child of 8 years of age would be heavily influenced by her teacher. I think the TA's heart was in the right place but it was very much mishandled.
    Last edited by Sonja; 09-05-2014 at 22:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Yes. Setting up a tin at a Mother's Day stall where the students could "voluntarily choose" rather than be persuaded would be a migrating factor for me. I would find that perfectly acceptable..
    But that isn't what happened.
    I agree. If the school had've organised a tin that was accessible to all classes to put their leftover change in it would have been different than a TA approaching one class without warning and collecting the money as an individual (and by the sounds of it, not clarifying with the children how much they actually wanted to donate, and just taking the whole $5)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the TA has gone about her charity collecting in the wrong way.
    If fundraising is to be done at school parents should be informed beforehand.

Id be annoyed if id given my child $5 to buy a gift and they'd felt forced/pressured to donate to charity instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummytomy2boys View Post

the TA took advantage of small children, they knew they had money, they knew they were small children who arent really able to make logical decisions and they took advantage of that and in doing so upset children.
    Too many conspiracy theories here. Perhaps the TA just thought they would provide a more enlightened and worthy present option to the traditional hankie-and-crocheted-tissueboxcover stall?

Does it really matter if you buy your bread from woolies or the local bakery?
    Last edited by VicPark; 09-05-2014 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Does it really matter if you buy your bread from woolies of the local bakery?
    Absolutely. Matters a lot to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Too many conspiracy theories here. Perhaps the TA just thought they would provide a more enlightened and worthy present option to the traditional hankie-and-crocheted-tissueboxcover stall?

Does it really matter if you buy your bread from woolies of the local bakery?
    Just from a different perspective... if an employee on a dementia wing in a nursing home raised money for charity on pension day would that be ethical?
    It just doesn't sit right with me.... I would argue that raising money from people (that may or may not lack the capacity to really understand what you are asking) and that you exercise power of authority over so they may also feel pressured into doing something they don't really want to do on days when you specifically know they are cashed up is wrong. The child also told her mum she would of liked change but lacked the maturity and confidence to ask for it off the TA...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (09-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (09-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (09-05-2014),penny92  (12-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, if it were me, I would have said to my dd how much of a lovely gesture it was and explained to her that her gift could potentially save the life of someone else's mum. It sounds like she wanted to donate, but was upset that she didn't get change so she didn't have a gift for you. I think it's all about how you reacted to it, If you painted it in a positive light then I think she would feel really good about her gift. I would take it up with the teacher later on if you are really feeling upset about it and get the full details of how the children were approached. Sounds like a lot of assumptions in here, I would wait until you've spoken to the teacher and know exactly how the situation was handled.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'm going to put my two cents in. I will probably get flamed but oh well. I agree with the majority that the TA should not have pressured the children for the money. I get that she may have been trying to teach the kids about charity but it's not on.

What I actually really object to is someone else deciding what charity my money is going to. I would have sent my child with money to buy something from the stall with the knowledge that it was to raise funds for the school. Having the money go to breast cancer would annoy me. We have charities we donate to which do not get the money that breast cancer does. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't take any money away from breast cancer but I would prefer my money goes to other less known organizations that need the funds.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Truffle For This Useful Post:

Elijem  (09-05-2014),haveheart  (10-05-2014),HearMeRoar  (09-05-2014),MummyBic  (10-05-2014),NurseAnni  (09-05-2014),Phony  (10-05-2014),sky1  (10-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think I would have been jumping up and down, but I definitely wouldn't have been happy and would be making sure the TA knew that my child would not be contributing without my permission in the future.

Yes, donating to charity is an awesome thing to teach kids. Getting that donation from kids who have taken that money to school for something else isn't awesome.

I understand completely why your dd was upset. I hope she cheers up when she goes out to buy you a gift OP

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast