+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This might be a first world problem to us adults but to an 8yo that went to school with $5 to buy her Mum a Mothers Day Present and was one way or another convinced to give her money to a charity is a big thing to an 8yo. My DS is 7 and a half and I bet my $5 he would have given the money because he knew it was the right thing to do but would be absolutely gutted that he didn't have anything left for me (or his Dad on fathers day).

Kids understand parts of things, they don't always understand the consequences, they are kids. Yes girls in Nigeria are kidnapped but that's not something I'm teaching my 8yo just yet - they are worried about first world problems like this because they are kids.

I'm sorry OP I think it was really wrong of the TA to do that, she may have had the best intentions but do it with the older kids who fully understand the ramifications of what they are doing with their money, not the younger kids.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (09-05-2014),HearMeRoar  (09-05-2014),IndigoJ  (09-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (09-05-2014),majo  (10-05-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (09-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (09-05-2014),penny92  (12-05-2014),Purple Lily  (09-05-2014),Tamtam  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the TA was definitely in the wrong and I can see how the kids would have felt pressured into giving their money and being disappointed to not have bought a tangible present for their Mums. Hopefully she will learn her lesson and not do it again after all the complaints.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I also can't believe angry parents would have bothered to bombard the teacher like that. Seems to me like some people need to get a life, a pp mentioned this is a first world problem. And what a terrible problem to have, donating your money to charity! Tsk tsk!
    They have got a life, they have their kids and their well being at the front of their mind. If I picked DS up from school in tears I'd be in there wanting to know what was going on too. You're an adult and can rationalise and understand these things but these kids went with an understanding of what the money was for, if the school wanted them to do it they should have communicated that so parents could fully explain to the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I also can't believe angry parents would have bothered to bombard the teacher like that. Seems to me like some people need to get a life, a pp mentioned this is a first world problem. And what a terrible problem to have, donating your money to charity! Tsk tsk!
    Seriously..

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (10-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (09-05-2014),penny92  (12-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    see the OP's daughter was 8. 8 is not old enough in these circumstances to be able to figure out what to do. It was manipulative of the TA. It's not like they had a class chat about donating to charity and what the kids would like to fundraise for. The TA knew the kids had money for the stall. Then it seems appealed to them.
    It's not like a child deciding to spend that money in the tuckshop and ignore mother's day pressies.
    I would also be very concerned about collecting money in class like that without notice given. ... How do you know the money went where it should?

And perhaps bombarding the teacher isn't the correct way to approach it. . but I can understand why the parents were upset. This coming from a teacher!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (09-05-2014),penny92  (12-05-2014),sky1  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I consider things like "not wanting to get up to get the remote to change the channel", "running out of ice" or it being "too cold in the airconditioning" to be first world problems.

This I consider a matter of "honesty and integrity.. And being ethical".

Totally different things... And pretty much the same lesson no matter where you live. Not to take advantage of others especially those that have positions of power or influence over others. At 8, a parents permission should of been sought first before funds that were intended for a particular purpose were used for another.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 09-05-2014 at 22:25.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (10-05-2014),Elijem  (09-05-2014),haveheart  (10-05-2014),HearMeRoar  (09-05-2014),IndigoJ  (09-05-2014),jez  (09-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (09-05-2014),majo  (10-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (09-05-2014),penny92  (12-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (12-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    This might be a first world problem to us adults but to an 8yo that went to school with $5 to buy her Mum a Mothers Day Present and was one way or another convinced to give her money to a charity is a big thing to an 8yo. My DS is 7 and a half and I bet my $5 he would have given the money because he knew it was the right thing to do but would be absolutely gutted that he didn't have anything left for me (or his Dad on fathers day).

Kids understand parts of things, they don't always understand the consequences, they are kids. Yes girls in Nigeria are kidnapped but that's not something I'm teaching my 8yo just yet - they are worried about first world problems like this because they are kids.

I'm sorry OP I think it was really wrong of the TA to do that, she may have had the best intentions but do it with the older kids who fully understand the ramifications of what they are doing with their money, not the younger kids.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummytomy2boys View Post
    its not about donating to charity, its about the underhand dirty tactics used, the parents werent TOLD there would be the option, it was taking advantage of small children and THAT is wrong
    I think that's overly dramatic. Dirty tactics my ****. IMO donating to charity in honor of your mum (and getting a sticker) fits under the Mother's Day present umbrella. Holding your hand out for a donation is no different than taking someone's money for a hand made hankie at a Mother's Day stall. If the TA has been set up with a donation tin at the actual mothers day stall would that have been acceptable?

Parents should be congratulating kids who donated their $5 to charity instead of feeding the "this is an outrage" hysteria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have been ropeable too OP. Infact I probably would have been one of those cranky parents at the classroom. As PP's have said, very manipulative on little people's minds to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's overly dramatic. Dirty tactics my ****. IMO donating to charity in honor of your mum (and getting a sticker) fits under the Mother's Day present umbrella. Holding your hand out for a donation is no different than taking someone's money for a hand made hankie at a Mother's Day stall. If the TA has been set up with a donation tin at the actual mothers day stall would that have been acceptable?

Parents should be congratulating kids who donated their $5 to charity instead of feeding the "this is an outrage" hysteria.
    Yes. Setting up a tin at a Mother's Day stall where the students could "voluntarily choose" rather than be persuaded would be a migrating factor for me. I would find that perfectly acceptable..
    But that isn't what happened.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 09-05-2014 at 22:19.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (09-05-2014),Miados2007  (10-05-2014),penny92  (12-05-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast