+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Parking at the hospital (RBWH) when in labour

I have eight weeks to go & I’m starting to plan for labour & birth. I was just wondering about parking at the hospital (birthing at the RBWH) if I go into labour during the night? The pamphlet the hospital has given us says that the car park closes at 11.45pm & doesn’t reopen again until 6am so it’s street parking only between those times (which involves a walk).

I’m not sure how far I’ll be able to walk when I am in labour (this is my first), but I’m guessing it depends on how far along I am when I get there. So how would you manage this? There is a drop-off zone outside Emergency but I don’t think you can leave your car, meaning that I’d have to walk in alone & DH would have to drive off to find somewhere to park & then come back – I’d rather not go in by myself & I don’t want to get separated from DH in case he has trouble getting up to the Birth Suite when he comes back.

Also, the street parking is regulated between 7am-7pm Monday to Friday so if it was during the week this would mean DH would need to go outside & move the car early in the morning so we don’t get a parking ticket – if I’m in full labour at this time it won’t really be possible for him to leave.

In the middle of the night it won’t really be possible to get a family member to drive us & drop us both off there as everyone works full-time & I will only be having DH as my support person (ie whoever drops us off will still have to work the next day & it’s not really fair keeping them up half the night when they can’t even stay).

I just want to have time to let other people know (ie if we need them to help out etc) so if anyone has any thoughts that would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Walking during labour helps if you have to park a bit away. Another option is getting a cab to the hospital. Lastly hubby could repark the car thru labour (you could be there for awhile).

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make a sign that says something like "woman in labour. have gone to birth suite. will move car when able to". Leave it on the dashboard where it's easily visible.

Park in the drop-off zone. Get hubby to take you upstairs to Birth Suite and if birth is not imminent, then he can run back down to move the car.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rose&Aurelia, good to know that walking during labour actually helps. I might be ok with the walk then

Wannawannabe, I like the idea of the sign, I probably will make one up & leave it in the car so we can use it if we need to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We forgot to move our car in the morning (went into hospital late at night) and we got a parking fine. The council waived the fine since it was given 1 minute after DS was born, I just had to sign a form

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Park in the drop-off zone. Get hubby to take you upstairs to Birth Suite and if birth is not imminent, then he can run back down to move the car.
    This is what we did.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by BeeSam; 06-09-2014 at 19:41.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by BeeSam; 06-09-2014 at 19:41.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Rose&Aurelia, good to know that walking during labour actually helps. I might be ok with the walk then
    I would also suggest having two bags. Have one small bag with a change of clothes and toiletries for after the birth, one set of clothes for bub and whatever else you need for labour (iPod, camera etc) and one larger bag with the rest of yours and babys clothes for your stay in hospital. Leave the big bag in the car until you've transferred to the ward. It means less things that you have to carry in when in labour and less things to take up room in the Birth suite.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (09-05-2014),RobinSparkles  (09-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    We parked in the taxi or loading/ drop off zone. The birth suite told us too, then hubby settled me in and went and moved it to Downey park and walked back.
    I'll be giving birth at the Gold Coast Hospital, but this is what we were told to do too