+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DD is asked what a tampon was

We were out for dinner the other night and in the ladies room DD (5.5years) asked what the tampon despensers were. I said, 'they are tampons'. She asked 'whats a tampon'. I said 'ladies use them when they have their period'. She asked 'Whats a period'. I said 'its when a lady bleeds from her vagina'. She said 'i dont ever want a period'. I said 'One day you'll get one'. And she was a bit unsure and worried i think. I said to her, it doesnt hurt and its part of having a baby and you have to have a period if you want to have a baby one day.

Couple of days later i got my period and i called her into the bathroom and said look (my pad was on the floor), mummy has her period. She ran away saying 'yuck'.

She seems ok about it all now, ive always been open and honest about everything...i basically just answer her questions. 'How did the baby get in your belly', 'Daddy put it there with his penis'. The baby comes out of your vagina', breasts feed babies milk etc

I was 8years old when i got my first period and, while i hope it doesnt happen to her, theres a chance she going to be young too. I want her to know whats going on.

How did you talk to your girls about periods???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (09-05-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't had to have that talk yet, but admire your honesty and straight to the point approach I really hope that's how i am with my girls

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (09-05-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have boys but they have seen me putting a pad on and changing it ect. They were both young so its nothing new to them now (6 &4) but they know girls bleed. Pretty much if they dont bleed for that month, chances are they are with child. So if my boys bug me now in the loo and they see me with a pad or see blood they just say "no baby?" lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a couple of books that I'd bought and just recently, when DD was 8.5 and hadn't brought it up, I asked her if she knew anything about puberty and we went from there. I told her that every girl in the whole world has a period and that it's nothing to be frightened of. I showed her a tampon and pad in their packaging and let her unwrap them and then we talked about making a period kit that would live in her bag - basically a thin pad in a purse. It's all gone ok and she's loving reading her books and chatting about the information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter who is 6 saw me using a pad not long ago and asked why I was wearing a nappy so I had to explain what it was and did it in pretty much the same way as you op. Much better to be honest and give them info you know they can handle.