+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gah bloody pregnancy! I just bawled through most of that clip!

I refuse to go on my phone when out with someone but constantly have to remind DH how rude he can be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not on facebook, but I do busy myself with my phone on the train, or waiting at the train station. I'd rather not look at the world when waiting for the train, looking at the world has left me stuck with some undesirable people feeling the need to talk to me, and then me trying to hide from them on the train, and panicking when they got off at the same station as me. They could have been harmless, but I was certainly feeling very uncomfortable. Being on your phone says 'I'm not open to conversation, don't talk to me.' I have still managed to be helpful, including helping a blind man get off the train who asked not to be touched but needed help with getting off the train (gap between train and platform, lower platform to train etc.)
    It really annoys me that people sit on their phone through dinner. I only ever have my phone on the table at a restaurant if I'm on call.
    On the flip side, I remember my mum used to talk to her friends for ages on the phone, and had tv shows that she had to watch 'now' and so she wasn't engaging with us then. So yes, we need to be mindful of our phone use, but I think it's okay to have times of the day where we aren't engaging with our kids/loved ones. I think it's always been like that, just the devices were different.
    Anyway, I know this wasn't about kids, it was about couples. When hubby and I have a date night (even just at home) our phones are in a different room to us, or if we go out one of us will put our phone on the table incase something happens to the kids but that's it. It took me many years to get a phone after they first came out (even my parents had them before me), and then it took me many more years before I took my phone out with me during the day. I find them so handy now, but I think it's important to leave it in your bag and have it there incase of an emergency. If someone is trying to call you in an emergency, they'll call again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Gah bloody pregnancy! I just bawled through most of that clip!

I refuse to go on my phone when out with someone but constantly have to remind DH how rude he can be!
    I can't blame pregnancy, did it to me too!

DH drives me nuts if we go out for weekend breakfast as he always buys the paper and sits there and reads it. For him it's part of the relaxing ritual but for me it's just plain antisocial. I've also taken his ipad off him when we've been out for a meal.

He gets mad at me when I don't answer my phone (happens a lot) but my phone just isn't a priority a lot of the time - I'm busy actually doing stuff! However, he used to work long hours and now works away, so it does leave me with a lot of alone time when kids are at school/sleeping, so I still manage to be on here/FB too much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    @Phony as I'm not on Facebook I hadn't seen the video. Made me teary. I am guilty of looking down on my phone reading and on bubhub though.

Thanks for posting it. And thanks OP for starting the thread.
    Yeah I have to admit, I'm a sucker on the computer at home.
    Not for BH or FB necessarily, just as a distraction.
    Anything I want to know I have to look it up.
    I had a thought the other day that I should keep a note book of what I've actually learned from my day's use and if it amounts to little or nothing then I need a lock on it, haha.
    I am conscious of it and I'm trying to cut down

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think facebook in general is a bad thing, i like keeping in touch with people seeing photos etc that would be harder to do without facebook, you can reach so people at once. I guess it's just the constant need for it so many people seem to have. Social situations where everyone is so busy checking in that they are out with there friends having fun, then just go have your fun and get off facebook can't it wait until your home. I don't know I think my eyes have been opened in the last few days I'm guilty of using facebook to much and those days are gone for me now and now i have to hop of bub hub and I'm being asked to read a book LOL enjoy your day all

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silly For This Useful Post:

Phony  (08-05-2014)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been alongside a table of 6 young people, 20's or less, and there was hardly one word spoken. everyone was on the phone/ipad/whatever. and this lasted the full hour that I was in the restaurant with my son and my husband. I was quite amazed and rather sad. why go out for a meal with friends and spend all the time chatting with other friends who aren't there. . Marie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Phony  (08-05-2014)