+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *TRIGGER WARNING* Zoe's Miracle Child/Against All Odds on 60 Minutes

Does anyone know yet what Zoe's baby faced before birth?

I'm intrigued by the adverts I've seen for this story as I also was in that position, although our reasons/diagnoses may have differed.

Also, while looking at the 60 Minutes FB page, it saddened me to see how some ladies were carrying on about their doctors suggesting they terminate Trisomy 21/DS babies.
    They were putting themselves on the same boat as Zoe, and although I know it's difficult to deal with the shock of a high DS risk on prenatal screening, I think this story will be a different kettle of fish.
    Some of the comments lacked tact and I imagine would very much hurt some people reading them. But then again, that's the internet for you..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure, sorry, but I agree, just based on the preview (here if anyone else is interested) it doesn't sound like trisomy 21.
    Last edited by sky1; 08-05-2014 at 10:21.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. Her baby was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. From what I understand. That means the left ventricle of the heart is underdeveloped.
    My daughter was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome (so the right side is underdeveloped) so I've been following this story with much interest. Looking forward to seeing the story.
    My daughter lives with half a functioning heart. I've read some of the comments. I was gobsmacked by what some people said.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Yes. Her baby was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. From what I understand. That means the left ventricle of the heart is underdeveloped.
    My daughter was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome (so the right side is underdeveloped) so I've been following this story with much interest. Looking forward to seeing the story.
    My daughter lives with half a functioning heart. I've read some of the comments. I was gobsmacked by what some people said.

Thanks Tamtam, I'm looking forward to hearing Zoe's story. (Just as I'm sure you have an amazing story with your little girl!) I have heard the term Hypoplastic Left/Right Heart Syndrome before, but I'm not familiar with it.
    How old is your daughter?

I desperately wanted to reply to some of those ridiculous comments, but I just couldn't find the words. It would have only started an online fight which would have destroyed my day
    Kudos to those who came back with some down to earth and informed responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter is 18 months almost. They do the same procedures/surgeries on both conditions depending on the anatomy around the heart.
    You may have heard the condition because the story on 60 minutes about that little boy Levi, he had HLHS. (Hypoplastic left heart).
    The story has been shared amongst my 'heartkid' groups online that I'm a member of. .. yeah others with no experience were very rude with comments.
    We were given the option to terminate my daughter. .. The outlook for her was pretty bleak but she's doing amazing. .. you wouldn't even know to look at her.

Attached Images

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (08-05-2014),Lottiemum  (10-05-2014),sky1  (08-05-2014)