+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Calling all nurses! Advice needed

I'm at that point in my life where I need to start thinking about what work I want to do when my youngest starts school because if it involves studying, I need to get started (he's 2 in July). I'm tertiary educated but have a business degree. In recent moths I've been toying with the idea of getting into nursing but a few things are holding me back. One, my kids aren't in daycare and I'd rather they weren't and obviously with the need for work placements, doing a degree in nursing is impossible at the moment. And two, I feel too old for a career change (I'm 35).

BUT, I've just discovered the Diploma of Nursing which can be done part time (I'd consider daycare for that) which would qualify me as a Div 2 nurse (I think?). I could then get credit and complete a degree in nursing when my youngest is in school and theoretically it would take less time and I'd (possibly) already be doing part time work by that point.

I guess my question is twofold. One, am I too old to think about a career in nursing? I'm fit and physically fine but yeah, it just feels old. And two, is the diploma-to-degree path a waste of time and should I consider just waiting until DS2 is in school and starting from scratch with the degree at that point? By then I'd be in my late 30s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not doing nursing but I'm also working towards a career change. I'm turning 34 this year and have just started a graduate diploma in psychology via distance, which will take me quite a while to do (only doing one subject per semester and I'm doing the first of 8 subjects at the moment). So if I follow it through to become a registered psychologist it won't happen until I'm in my 40s, by the time I finish the grad dip then the post grad dip then supervision etc! Sometimes I think that seems too old to be starting out but really, I'll still probably have 20yrs in the workforce ahead of me so it's worth it!

I'm sure you'll find lots of mature age students, I am a long way from being the oldest in my course. If you really want to do it I say go for it.

It might be worth looking up the subjects for the degree - a lot of unis offer single subject study via distance so you might be able to start chipping away at some of the pre-requisites you may need or some of the foundation subjects without committing to the degree. That's how I'm doing it until I'm ready to fully commit (I have a baby due in July so won't be doing any subjects in the second half of the year).
    Last edited by Cue; 07-05-2014 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not doing nursing I will be doing midwifery and I won't graduate until I'm in my early 30's because of how I have to do it until my kids go to school. But I wouldn't worry about ur age! Like the PP said - there's still another good 20-30 years where u will have to be working so u might as well do something u have a passion for and can enjoy instead of stuck in the same thing. Go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm doing my direct entry midwifery. I'm in my third and final year now. I also work as an Assistant in Midwifery ( like an AIN), have four kids and I'm almost 39. Some days, like today, I feel 139. But I don't think I'm too old and as exhausted I am I wouldn't give it up!
    Ask your uni.....they may allow you to enrol and do non clinical subjects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a parent, but I'm just about to finish my diploma of nursing and will start my degree in August.
    3/4 of my class were parents, most over 30, so definitely not too late!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not too old. Follow your dream :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you looked into the 2-year graduate entry nursing courses?

They're offered at undergraduate level eg. Latrobe uni offer a 2-year graduate entry Nursing degree. The degree can be in any discipline, but previous study in anatomy and physiology is required so I guess you could do these as single units before you start. The only thing is that it's offered full time http://www.latrobe.edu.au/handbook/2013/undergraduate/health-sciences/single-degrees/hbnprg.htm

They're also offered as a Masters. This one at Monash is 1.8 years full time http://www.monash.edu.au/study/cours...eview=domestic

Depending on where you are the Tafe diploma may also be similar in cost to the degree, so I'd definitely compare the fees for both before deciding (I've heard the diploma through GCIT is around $15,000 for interstate students).

ETA Sorry, I just noticed that you're looking at p/t study at the moment and the courses I mentioned are offered full time only, so I probably wasn't much help, sorry!
    Last edited by sky1; 08-05-2014 at 06:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing to reply latter when I'm on the iPad just quickly though - go for it!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MummyBic For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been a nurse for years and years now and started straight out of school so not so helpful.

But when I graduated and started I worked with a woman who graduated at the same time and turned 60 the following year.

I say go for it, I would probably go the diploma and work up to it good luck!