+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help!! Vbac public or private?!

Hi Ladies!

I'm really needing some advice/peoples experiences. I have a beautiful DD who is 2. Hubby are i are going to ttc this month for No.2, now i know i'm not pregnant yet but i just can't help thinking about what to do next time.

Here's my labor story in a nut shell: I went through our public Birthing Centre (which gave you your own midwife throughout your pregnany and delivery)
    I got to 8cm dilated (after 7 hrs of labour & on the gas) after an hour with no further dilatation my midwife checked me and realised that DD had moved her hand over her head which mean't she couldn't physically come out of me. I had many many Dr's come poke and prod inside of me (WHICH WAS AGONISING!!) but still she didn't move. So therefore i was rushed off for a C-seation, which was actually really good, yes i was terrified but i still was happy to meet my baby and had a fantastic recovery.

So, because i've had a C-section i can't go through the Birthing centre again as i'm somewhat "high risk" so do i apply for Private Health Care Cover and find an OB or do i risk going through public health care and hope they do what i want? I really enjoyed having the same midwife at each appointment knowing she'd be the one to deliver my baby.

Has anyone had a successful VBAC through your hospitals Public system?

Sorry this is lengthy but i'm' desperate for advice! Thanks Ladies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd call the OB's in your area and ask if they're happy to assist you with a VBAC before deciding, out of the 8 something OB's at my closest private hospital only 1 will consider a VBAC. The rest won't give you the time of day to even talk about it. Have you looked into a private midwife?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a high risk 2nd labour as a vbac in a public hospital that supported (and taught) hypnobirthing. I had a fantastic 2nd labour exactly how I hoped it would go. Are you sure the birthing centre won't take you on? I would be asking around at the public and private hospitals as each hospital is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is there a midwifery group practice at your hospital? At ours they have an "all risk" model so they will take both high and low risk women, so you still get the
    Continuity of care with your own midwife. They will only see you if you are definitely going for a VBAC though. If you decide you want a repeat c/s they will move you to regular midwife care at the hospital. The public system are usually pretty good at following your wishes for a VBAC. If it was all straight forward you shouldn't have an issue. Depending on the OB if you go privately it might be a little harder to find one who is happy to help you have a VBAC. Some of the ones I've worked with prefer women to have a repeat c/s for no other reason than it suits them better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I had a high risk 2nd labour as a vbac in a public hospital that supported (and taught) hypnobirthing. I had a fantastic 2nd labour exactly how I hoped it would go. Are you sure the birthing centre won't take you on? I would be asking around at the public and private hospitals as each hospital is different.
    Thank you for replying! Where i had my baby (Flinders Hospital) they definitely wouldn't take me on as i have had a c-section and they dont deal with that. My big issue is MONEY! Even if i went private they still flog you a great amount of money and i currently dont have private health cover.. I'm starting to suss out other hospitals and see if i can find any other midwives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I'd call the OB's in your area and ask if they're happy to assist you with a VBAC before deciding, out of the 8 something OB's at my closest private hospital only 1 will consider a VBAC. The rest won't give you the time of day to even talk about it. Have you looked into a private midwife?
    No i haven't. I hadn't even thought about it, mainly due to the fact that i don't have private health cove (only ambulance cover). So i was worried about how much it was going to cost. I've started searching online for possible private midwifes, but you're right i actually need to find someone that'll even take me on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both of mine public. The first was a c section and the second they let me chose what I wanted (dr's wanted a c section because they were only 13 months apart, but the midwives pushed for a vbac). I ended up choosing a c section but it was totally up to me and they would of done either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleighfirgaira View Post
    No i haven't. I hadn't even thought about it, mainly due to the fact that i don't have private health cove (only ambulance cover). So i was worried about how much it was going to cost. I've started searching online for possible private midwifes, but you're right i actually need to find someone that'll even take me on!
    Are you planning on getting PHI? Obsterics has a 12 month waiting period so you would need to wait at least 3 (4 to be safe) months before you can TTC. Babies due date must be after your 12 months is up to be covered. I was about $2500 out of pocket after rebates from Medicare for my OB fees.

I went private last time and ended with a emergency c-section. I am happily going public this time to get my VBAC, hopefully with a private midwife

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a successful vbac through the public system. It was great! I ended up enlisting the help of a student midwife so I did have essentially my own private midwife at all appointments and the birth.
    The hospital I went to also encouraged a vbac. Realistically it's cheaper for the hospital as the costs of the two middies that delivered dd compared to the team of surgeons and what not for my csection with ds would be massive.

I had a huge list of things I wanted for my experience with dd. I wasn't eligible for the birth centre, but I still had a natural birth and spent most of the time
    In the shower as well as little interference and a really lovely experience.

From memory and through my research before DDs birth- Vbacs are more common in the public sector. Private and OBs seem to have a preference for scheduled and known outcomes as opposed to midwifed who encourage more natural approach.

I would check in with your local health system and see what their vbac success rates are. Also most hospitals have a team of midwives that you are allocated and you will see someone from that team each visit as well as having one of that teams midwives at your delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my vbac at public hospital. There are 2 local ones but couldn't use closest as considered 'high risk' but only because of vbac. This time I'm hoping for another vbac at the same hospital - I've hear private obs are not encouraging for vbac but you have no reason from your history not to go for. A few issues I hope not to repeat - monitoring got annoying though midwife didn't insist on constant, got synto for slow progress - was not warned was on the clock, this time hope to avoid but will be requesting epidural with it if deemed necessary. Better recovery if you already have another child to look after